All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
I have quit eating! IBS HAS WON!!!!
      #324654 - 02/13/08 11:28 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I can't do this anymore. I can't keep eating turkey buger fish or chicken poatoes rice pasta EVERY day! I just can't do it! I can't do it anymore i would rather not eat than eat the same things everyday If I have one for lunch its the other for super I can't handle it. I can olny fix pasta 1 way soup and thats the same old soup! I have been so long with out stuff that no mater how I chop, puree it still upsets my stomach and I AM SO TIRED OF BEING SICK!. Eating like this has put such a strain on my marriage cause we fight about what to eat cause I am so tired of it all. I siting here right now so hungry. I just want my life back! Its so horrible that every day you know that it has to be turky or chiken or rice or poatoes. They same old snacks the same old supers. I just can't do this anymore. Thanks for listening I just needed to vent. Theres gotta be someone out there that feels the way I do........
emmasmom
ibs-c

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I have quit eating! IBS HAS WON!!!! new
      #324655 - 02/13/08 11:42 AM
Kimberley321

Reged: 01/21/08
Loc: London, UK

Hi Emmasmom,

I definitely understand how you feel. I have rice krispies every morning, chicken with french bread every lunch time, and plain mash potato with peas every dinner! I'm sick of it too. I tried introducing a couple of new foods this weekend and surprise surprise i was sick all day Tuesday.

I don't really know what to suggest becasue i'm in the same position as you but i wanted to let you know i share your frustration and i'm here for you. I can only hope tha things get better for you soon

#324657 - 02/13/08 11:46 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Sorry you feel so trapped and frustrated by your IBS. Even with IBS, there are many, MANY varieties of foods and meals that you can prepare. Please read Sand's great post on Exuberant Eating . It really motivated me to try some new dishes.

If you feel that nothing's helping your IBS, have you considered hypnotherapy and medications? I think there's a misconception that for everyone diet alone will help your IBS. That's not true for everyone. Diet is only one part of a larger way to manage this disorder.

I really hope you hang in there. I think the boards can be more stressful and confusing for someone who's not yet stable or doesn't fully grasp the EFI diet. Myabe your husband should sit with you and help you plan the meals. Maybe there's a way to make something you can both enjoy or take a favorite dish and make it IBS friendly. THere's no reason why your meals have to be so boring or repetitive.

Take care!

#324658 - 02/13/08 11:52 AM
lalala

I also wanted to add, that you're right. When you haven't eaten something in a while and then add it back in (like vegetables, even when chopped and cooked) you're going to experience some discomfort, gas. But you just have to keep eating it a little at a time and eat it regularly in order to get used to it. Digestive Enzymes, like Beano, work great for vegetables. Digestive teas, like ginger or chamomile, sipped during a meal have really helped me with reducing gas and cramping. I think the hardest part is getting the courage to actually try something that isn't a trigger, but isn't something you'd eat regularly. But after a week or two of eating it regularly, you should be fine. This is how I incorporated more vegetables into my diet and seafood.

Hugs! I hope you find something that works for you!

#324660 - 02/13/08 12:28 PM

Unregistered

Have you tried turkey sausage and turkey meatballs? Can you tolerate spaghetti sauce? List some things that you can eat and let's see if we can give you some ideas

#324673 - 02/13/08 03:14 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Oh honey, I am sooo with you! I am considering giving up eating too. Chicken, white rice, and turkey... thats it! I cant seem to do veggies either. I wish I had an answer or help for you, but I just wanted to let you know that youre not alone.

Stef

#324691 - 02/13/08 05:31 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Emm, I know exactly how you feel. At this precise moment in time I'm ok with the extremely limited diet but I've been very frustrated before and am quite certain I will be again. It is especially frustrating when you are reaping any benefits from it. I did have some improvement with the diet alone but still not enough to feel it was worth all that I was giving up. What I have found to make a significant difference is probiotics. I was taking one called Udo's Choise super bifido plus which I purchased at my local co-op, it's $90 for a 30 day supply but I did quite well with it. I'm currently taking Align (samples I got from my GI 3 days ago) it's too soon to know if this one will work or not.

I wish you the best and hope that tomorrow you find a renewed courage to stick with it, and possibly try something different.

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#324693 - 02/13/08 07:02 PM
Sweetkakes

Reged: 12/07/07

Hello there,

After reading your post, I could not help but reply simply because I know exactly how you feel! Especially about the stress on your marriage. My husband can eat such a variety of foods and it drives me NUTS! And makes me grouchy - which leads to arguments. As to trying to introduce some new foods and thus variety into your diet: I have found that the soluble fiber component is really key. When I want to try a new food, even one that is "safe" but I don't usually eat, I make sure it is the only new thing in the meal in a small portion size. The rest of the meal is largely old standbys with lots of soluble fiber - potato, squash, ect. I eat them first. Oh, and when it comes to gas and constipation, I have found gentle abdominal massage (circular motion up toward your head on the right, then across at the waist, and down toward the feet on the left), heat pads (to relax the intestines), and fennel tea really help a lot!
Please hang in there, and keep eating something. I once tried not eating for an extended time and it actually made things worse. I think it was because the gut went crazy with hunger and then had nothing to process!

#324698 - 02/13/08 10:10 PM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

For Heaven's sake people!

We all know how rough it is but you cannot deprive your body of food.
I know it's hard and it hurts, but with time, patience and probably a lot of trial and error it will get better.

Don't give up! Don't let this IBS thing beat you down. We've all come too far to quit now. Remember the days of being doubled over in pain and no-one knowing what the hell you had???
Say a Prayer for those still in that stage, and thank God you have your diagnosis.

I am sure if we work together we can come up with some relatively safe ways to introduce new foods in.

Have you tried baking some chicken with herbs and spices? Maybe introduce a little grated carrot into your tomato pasta sauce? Try some fish? Try some low fat Risotto?

#324710 - 02/14/08 07:09 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Oh yeah, I'm right behind you, woman! Are you getting any relief from eating so restrictively? If I were, it would at least help me to keep going....but it hasn't.

I am very close to giving up trying. I had a cup of coffee yesterday, and it was so freeing. And, I had no worse symptoms than usual. 4 years I have been eating with no cheats....plus gluten free on top of it. At least I would be able eat food and be in pain rather than just be in pain and starving and reprived. But, for some reason, I haven't gotten up the courage to just say "I quit" yet. I keep hoping and praying for an answer. I'm tired, though. I'm so tired of this guessing game with no answers....and all the contradictory info out there.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#324711 - 02/14/08 07:11 AM
Jordy

How many Udo's Choice did you have to take. That's expensive!

Let us know how align goes. That would be less expensive since you only take one. Aly has had great results with it.

--------------------

4 years! new
      #324712 - 02/14/08 07:16 AM
Jordy

Quote:

time, patience and probably a lot of trial and error it will get better

Mine hasn't. And I eat even less selection than the EFI gives because I cannot tolerate soy, bananas, most of the garlic and onion in the recipes...or the gluten and wheat or any SFS. including Acacia.

Maybe I shouldn't be posting today. I'm in a defeated mood which doesn't help anyone.

--------------------

#324728 - 02/14/08 08:53 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Wheresthedamnloo, I agree with you completely. But I guess it's easy for me to say because I can tolerate a lot of foods that a lot of people here can't, like onion, garlic, and even brocolli. I seem to do okay with most vegetables really. It's fruit, grains, and oily/greasy food that I seem to have the most trouble with.

But I do remember the days before my diagnosis - spending recess in the bathroom at school in near tears, being depressed, and anxious as hell at facing another day at school in pain, wondering how many times I'd be sticking my hand in the air and practically begging my teachers to let me go to the bathroom. I couldn't relive those days for anyting in the world, and I feel horrible for anyone living these days now!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Re: 4 years! new
      #324747 - 02/14/08 11:47 AM
lalala

Jordy --

Have you tried other ways of managing your IBS? Or are you trying diet changes only? How about hypnotherapy?

#324776 - 02/14/08 05:18 PM
CJIBSDG

Quote:

How many Udo's Choice did you have to take. That's expensive!

Let us know how align goes. That would be less expensive since you only take one. Aly has had great results with it.

Jordy, first I want to say that I'm so sorry to hear that you have not found relief from the diet. I have some improvement but really the scale just tipped from one extreme to the other (used to be chronic D, with the diet I'm more chronic C). I do so much better when taking probiotics. I was taking 3 Udo's choice a day and noticed significant improvement 1 BM almost every day, but still had some bouts of 5 - 8 on occassion. This is day 4 on align. I started Monday night, no BM on Tuesday, 2 normal BM both Wednesday and today. My BM are finally no longer sticky so there's no strain. I have to say it's the probiotic b/c for the 3 weeks I was off of it, I was a mess. I might also mention that my GI doc said I'll probably have to take it for life so I definitely want something affordable that works - so far so good. Have you ever tried probiotics?

Another benefit of Align over Udo's Choice is that it doesn't need to be refrigerated (makes it easier when traveling). I'll keep you posted.

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#324778 - 02/14/08 06:42 PM
Kat32

Reged: 11/09/05
Loc: Denver, Colorado

Man, I hear you all. I laugh too because I haven't posted since maybe October and on that posting I was all excited because I thought I had figured it all out. But I haven't.... I've been eating a lot more vegetables and whole grains because I am sick of eating white foods. Plus, I love to be active and it is so hard to get enough calories on those foods. So, being active (ie 6 hour hikes, swimming, running)always throws my digestive system off and so does eating more insoluble fiber, but I've gotten to the point where I just don't care because I really want to be active and I really want to eat fruits and vegetables and whole grain foods. So, I seem to have to poop more...I do take Acacia 3 x a day which helps, but I probably need to increase since I am eating more insoluble fiber. But yeah, there does not seem to be any magical fix. Immodium is such a blessing but I am not sure about taking it long term. I almost always take an immodium before a long hike which is great for the day, but not so great a few days later. However, the gas and bloating I may feel doesn't seem to be too much different from gas I got other days. I am seriously thinking about taking immodium every day to be able to stay so active and eat more liberally, but still cautiously, because life is too short to live like this....exercising minimally and being ultra-cautious every time you go to the cupboard or refrigerator...annoying! I too, like some of you, can't eat onions or garlic or peppers or any number of things.

But all you can do is keep on going and keep on with trial and error and hope someday you just might hit on the magic solution. I pray all the time for a cure for IBS!

~kat

#324785 - 02/15/08 05:26 AM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

hi Jordy.

Are you a diagnosed coeliac?

#324855 - 02/16/08 07:44 AM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

It is easier to give up than to do something hard. For years I ignored what the doctors said, doing things my way. It didn't help; it made things worse. You have to have the courage to do what is right for you, what is going to make you feel better. If that is this diet, YES! If it isn't, than so be it.

Food is such a huge part of peoples lives and is also so much fun. I have found that one way to help is to simply think of it different. Go on a "hunt" and find all the ways you can cook chicken, turkey, potatoes and rice. Make it a fun challange rather than a chore. If your husband doesn't like what you cook then he can fix himself something else. His arms aren't broken, are they?

Courage is hard and it is draining. I have faith that you will do what is going to be the best for yourself. Good luck.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#324897 - 02/17/08 07:37 PM
Jordy

Did hypno, went to a chiropractor, take various supplements, get Cognitive therapy.

--------------------

Probiotics new
      #324898 - 02/17/08 07:39 PM
Jordy

Good luck with the Align! It would be so much cheaper than Udo's. Thanks for the info!

Oh, I have sticky, messy BMs too! Can never just get a solid one! What causes that?

--------------------

Thank you all new
      #324945 - 02/18/08 10:20 AM
emmasmom

First of all let me say thank you all for posting and for letting me relize I am not alone! That helps more than you know. I don't know what I am going to do I just can't jump back into food that I haven't eaten cause I will be sicker but I can't go on like this either. I realized we go through a 10 pound bag of poatoes every week! thats crazy and has to stop. I am not against eating chiken or turkey I jut want differant options differant recipes. More pasta (and differant) Yes I have serached the board almost once a week and I can't do garlic and onions and soy. I miss food. Period. I don't know whats worse the mental part of it or being sick... Here are somethings I can eat if any of you have any ideas or recipes. PLEASE feel free to pass them along. Chicken, rice, pots, almond milk, s-berries, peaches, clery, carrots, fresh tomatoes, mushrooms,green beans, luch meat, chiken and turkey,light mayo, ketchup, Romain lettuce. Thats about it for now. Thanks again for listening your support and for just caring!
~Sheila
Emmasmom
ibs-c
GAS GAS
lactose interolant

Recipes new
      #324946 - 02/18/08 11:23 AM
Erilyn

Here are a few ideas, I'll try to come up with more!

Shepherd's Pie made with lean ground chicken or turkey, celery, organic fresh tomato sauce, whatever seasonings you can tolerate (oregano, salt/pepper, Worcestershire sauce, etc.), and potatoes mashed with almond milk.

Actually there are all sorts of things you can do with ground chicken or turkey and fresh tomatoes – meatloaf (baked on a rack so that any fat can drip off), chili (doesn't have to be spicy), homemade "Hamburger Helper" type pasta dishes, etc. Think of recipes that use ground beef and use lean ground chicken or turkey instead, and adapt them to be IBS safe.

I like to make this (I half made it up, half adapted a recipe): brown ground chicken or turkey and drain any fat drippings. Boil bite-sized pieces of carrot and potato until tender, drain. Mix potatoes, carrots, and chicken/turkey all together with about 1 cup of cooked rice, add some Italian seasoning and soy sauce and you've got yourself a very tasty meal!

You didn't list bread or pasta – can you eat wheat? If not you could try rice noodles – they are very good. Whether you can eat pasta or rice noodles, try using it in place of rice for stir-frys for a change, or try making pasta/rice noodle salads using friendly veggies and some light mayo. I find mayo mixed with paprika makes a very nice dressing for pasta salads. You could even make big pasta salads with cooked chicken breast to serve as a main course. Whoops - I reread your post and see that you DID mention pasta!

For dessert, bake peaches until tender and drizzle with a cocoa, icing sugar, and water glaze.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

Edited by Erilyn (02/18/08 02:06 PM)

Re: Recipes Continued! new
      #324947 - 02/18/08 11:43 AM
Erilyn

Add fresh cut up peaches and/or strawberries to pasta/noodle salads.

Place chicken breasts, cut up fresh peaches, and cinnamon and nutmeg in a casserole dish and cover with water. Cover loosely with foil and bake until chicken is done.

Do you like turnips or sweet potatoes? They are also pure SF (minus the skin of course) and make a nice change of pace from potatoes. Cook turnips well and mash with a little bit of margarine and black pepper. Cook and mash sweet potatoes, then place a a casserole dish, sprinkle with brown sugar, and put under the broiler for a few moments until the sugar begins to melt/crystallize.

Make IBS-safe "french fries" by cutting peeled potatoes into wedges, spraying with cooking oil and tossing with a little salt and seasonings, and bake on a cookie sheet until tender.

--------------------

Edited by Erilyn (02/18/08 11:45 AM)

Erylin new
      #324950 - 02/18/08 12:35 PM
emmasmom

Would you please e-mail me I have a few questions to ask Please thanks!

Re: Erylin new
      #324962 - 02/18/08 02:10 PM
Erilyn

I can email you later when I get home - I'm at work and web-based email sites are banned on everyone's computers. Please feel free to ask your questions here, though, if I have any answers they may benefit someone else, too!

--------------------

ok sure! new
      #324966 - 02/18/08 03:00 PM
emmasmom

You said theres lots of stuff to do with fresh tomatoes could you please list WHAT! I would love to do a hambuger helper meal how!!!! Would love to have some chicken salads How!!! can't do Tomatoe sauce or italian or soy . Can do pasta and I love pasta just what to do with it... With out Tomatoe sauce and chicken soup. We have french fries all the time that and baked pots or mashed... I would love a little nudge or help with someone these recipes please just send me in the right direction. Weres the if in these and how do i put it in there I don't get much of it and its the same old when i do.....Would love to do chili but the tomatoe juice since tomatoe sauce is a trigger I don't think i could do.... just trying really hard to fight my way through this thanks for the help.... Can't wait to here from you...
emmasmom
ibs-c

Re: ok sure! new
      #324969 - 02/18/08 03:24 PM
MelanieR

What if you cut up fresh tomatoes for the chilli? Or maybe cut them up and run them through the blender? Can you have canned tomatoes/tomato paste/BBQ? All of thoes things you could put into a chilli and you can buy all of thoes things organic.

You could make a chicken salad.
Cut up some chicken. Remove all fat and skin.
spray pan with pam. Cook untill no longer pink in the middle.
Tear up the lettuce you can eat and put on a plate.
put chicken on the lettuce along with any veggies you can eat. I think you said grean beans. That would be good.

You could also put homemade curtons on top. "butter" a couple pieces of bread with whatever you use.
Cut up into bite size pieces.
Add a little seasoning, maybe garlic salt, pepper or just leave them plain.
place in a moderate oven/broiler untill toasted. Or you could use a toaster oven.

pasta salad with tuna
1 can of tuna in water drained
cooked pasta shells
light mayo
finely diced onion
lemon juice

Put tuna into large mixing bowl. Break it up and add mayo, onion and lemon juice. Mix well.

--------------------

#324971 - 02/18/08 03:44 PM
MelanieR

For the cilli, You said you can have catsup. What if you made a "BBQ" sauce out of it.

It would be something like,
catsup, vinegar, brown sugar, salt, maybe a little liquid smoke.

*What about chili verde?

you could use ground turkey/chicken.
onion, diced
green pepper, chopped
canned tomato in own juice- Or cut up some fresh. You could also blend some fresh up.
1 can of green chilli (leave out if you cant have. I always do but hubby likes them.)
parsley flakes
sugar
ground cloves
cumin
lemon juice

Brown chicken/turkey, drain.
put chicken/turken into crock-pot along with other ingredients. cook on low for 6-8 hrs or high for 4 hrs.

*Brown Sugar Carrots

Clean,skin carrots and thinly slice.
boil carrots in small amount of water untill done. (When can easily cut with a fork.)
Drain.
In pan combine margarine, brown sugar and a dash of salt.
stir untill combined; add carrots. Cook untill glazed, not long.

*Honey carrots

margarine
carrots thinly sliced
orange juice
ground ginger
honey

Combine all ingredients in sauce pan and cover. Cook on low untill carrots are tender. stir occasionally.

--------------------

Edited by MelanieR (02/18/08 03:49 PM)

#324972 - 02/18/08 03:51 PM
Erilyn

Okay, I think I recall you saying you couldn't eat garlic or onion – maybe this is why commercially prepared tomato sauce doesn't agree with you as most of them have one or both of these in it.

I have a recipe at home for oven-roasted tomato sauce that uses plain old store-bought tomatoes – you can add whatever spices/seasonings you can tolerate and voila! you will have what should be a safe tomato sauce. I will post it later when I get home.

Like Melanie said, you can use fresh cut up tomatoes for chili, or try buying organic canned diced tomatoes that have no added seasonings – then add your own. For a Hamburger Helper style meal, brown some lean ground chicken or turkey, add some water and cut up tomatoes (or safe canned diced tomatoes), a packet of MSG-free beef bouillon for flavour, some spiral pasta and simmer all until the pasta is cooked (adding more water if necessary).

One thing my mom used to make when I was little was very good – cook some ground chicken or turkey, add some cooked macaroni, diced tomatoes, and ketchup (yes, ketchup!), and place all in a casserole dish. Bake until hot. My sister and I used to gobble this up. I'd forgotten about it until now – lol!

For pasta salad, cook some spiral or macaroni pasta, and rinse with cold water to cool. Add any safe veggies you like – mushrooms, green beans, etc., and some tuna or cooked chicken if you like. Add just enough light or fat-free mayo to hold everything together. Sprinkle with paprika, mustard powder, or any other seasoning you can tolerate. It's tough to mess up a pasta salad. You could even try a homemade vinaigrette – mix 1 part oil to 3 parts balsamic vinegar, and mix through the salad – a little goes a long way so don't use too much! As I said before, you could even dress it up with fresh peaches or strawberries, especially in the summertime.

I will think some more about pasta dishes that don't need tomato sauce and get back to you!

--------------------

Chili? Thanks new
      #324974 - 02/18/08 04:01 PM
emmasmom

First of all thank you so much for the help! Bless your heart. What if I took some tomatoes like romas like 5-6 take seeds out maybe? run through blender add some chicken stock add some turkey or chicken buger in pot do you think that would work?? Love the crouton idea!!!! For the tuna salad could can chicken work can't do tuna some old reason doesn't agree with me.... As far as bbq not the bottle stuff put i have thought about this 3/4 cup tomato ketchup
2 Tbsp Worcester sauce
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp hot sauce (or more, to taste)
but what would the sides be besides the same old pots? and the if... Thanks again so much if you think of anything no matter how crazy please let me know thank you agin from my heart!!!!!!

Erilyn & Melanie~ Can tomatoes new
      #324975 - 02/18/08 04:09 PM
emmasmom

Since Tomaote Sauce or BBQ sauce doesn't agree with me, do you think that the can tomoates would be ok. Ketchup is fine I use the organic kind and fresh tomatoes I eat everyday! Let me know your thoughts. God bless you both for your help!!!!
hugs....
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas

Re: Erilyn & Melanie~ Can tomatoes new
      #324984 - 02/18/08 06:28 PM
Erilyn

I think organic canned tomatoes that don't have any added ingredients (such onions or garlic) should be fine!

Here is the recipe for that oven-roasted tomato sauce:

- 8 large beefsteak, OR 15 plum or roma tomatoes
- olive oil (tomatoes will burn without it - just use as little as possible)
- 1 tbs EACH of dried oregano and basil (if you can tolerate)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper

Place oven racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 400 F. Slice tomatoes in half and place in a very large bowl. Drizzle with oil and and sprinkle with seasonings. Toss to evenly coat. Tumble onto two large, rimmed baking sheets. Roast, uncovered, in top and bottom thirds of oven, stirring occasionlay to prevent burning, until tomatoes are very soft, 30-40 minutes. Switch position of baking sheets halfway through roasting. Scrape mixture from baking sheet ino a food processor or strong blender. Whirl until no large chunks remain. Repeat with the remaining sheet. Sauce will keep covered and refridgerated up to three days, or freeze up to three months. When using, season as desired!

As for a pasta dish without tomato sauce, I came across this Vegetable Lo Mein:

- 8 ounces angel hair pasta (or any pasta, really!)
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (if you can't do soy sauce, perhaps you could just add more broth and season with ground ginger or something!)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 3/4 cups chopped celery
- 1 3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 3/4 cups sliced carrots
- (the recipe also called for 2 cups of bean sprouts, you can add or omit at your discretion!)

Cook pasta until done, and steam vegetables until done. Whisk together broth, soy sauce, and cornstarch in large saucepan, and heat until it just starts to thicken. Add pasta and vegetables and stir well to combine. Makes app. 4 servings.

--------------------

Edited by Erilyn (02/19/08 08:12 AM)

Re: Erilyn & Melanie~ Can tomatoes new
      #324997 - 02/19/08 06:31 AM
MelanieR

I think the only way you will know if canned tomato will work is just to try. If you buy organic & unseasoned it should be fine. It would be just like buying them fresh because organic doesn't add anything yucky in there. It is just canned. If you can have canned tomato paste it is a good thickner for your chilli.
You asked about tuna. I haven't had any problem with substition of canned chicken. They are mostly interchangeable. Try the tuna pasta salad (from earlier post in this thread)with chicken or even canned salmon. You could even try some cut up crab. That would be good also. (Oh I love sea food, I'm getting hungry.)

I have a recipe for Tuna Vegetable Sauce that is good....just don't use tuna. Use canned salmon or chicken.

1 TBSP vegetable oil- I used olive oil
2 cups mushrooms- I used baby bella but any would be just fine
1 stalk of celery- add as much as you like or can handle
1/3 chopped sweet red or green pepper- I left out because I don't really care for peppers
2 TBSP all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup soy milk- You said you couldn't do soy use almond or rice milk
1 small can (6.5oz but any size around that would work) of water packed tuna- use chicken or salmon
1 TBSP ketchup
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt

1-In large sauce pan heat oil and cook mushroom, celery and peppers covered 8-10 minutes or until soft.
2-Sprinkle with flour, stir. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat until thickened.
3-Stir in canned meat, ketchup, worcestershire sauce and salt until combined.
*from the Lactose-Free Family Cookbook by Jan Main.

Serve over rice, pasta, baked potatos. You could make the carrots I posted earlier on this thread. Make some biscuts, rolls or bread. You could eat this with a salad, peas, green beans or carrots.(These veggies except the carrots are all IF.) Really just about anything. This is kind of like tuna noodle casseroll but sweeter. I really liked it. This recipe also called for onion and garlic; since you can't have them I just omited it from the recipe.

--------------------

Re: Chili? Thanks new
      #324998 - 02/19/08 06:33 AM
MelanieR

The chilli recipe you posted would be good but it would be thin, you will need something to thicken it up. Just a little. Some tomato paste would work.

--------------------

Re: Chili? Thanks new
      #324999 - 02/19/08 07:27 AM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

You all have done an excellent job with suggestions! I am excited to try some of them for my family!

Sides new
      #325006 - 02/19/08 09:02 AM
Erilyn

Quote:

but what would the sides be besides the same old pots?

Try these ideas for sides:

- Different types of rice, like jasmine, basmati, wild rice, etc. They all have their own unique flavours.
- Couscous. I love it! It's good plain or seasoned with curry and cumin, or even a little balsamic vinegar. It's even good cold.
- Different SF vegetables such as turnip, sweet potatoes, squash, etc. Experiment to come up with something you like.
- Meatless pasta salad.
- Potato salad – still potatoes of course, just done differently! Mash 2 parts cooked potato and 1 part cooked carrot, chop an apple, and stir all together with low fat or fat-free mayo. Add a little sugar to taste if desired. And that's just one idea – there are tons of safe potato salads on the recipe board!

--------------------

#325081 - 02/20/08 09:14 AM
MelanieR

Emmasmom,
Have you had any sucess trying any of the new ideas we posted?

--------------------

Re: Probiotics new
      #325098 - 02/20/08 03:43 PM
CJIBSDG

Quote:

Good luck with the Align! It would be so much cheaper than Udo's. Thanks for the info!

Oh, I have sticky, messy BMs too! Can never just get a solid one! What causes that?

My doc says the sticky poo is caused from all the insoluble (aka starches) that I'm eating. I have noticed that they are less sticky when I'm on a probiotic. But, I have to say that I'm not noticing the improvement with align that I saw with Udo's choice. I'm still having days of C followed by days of D. I think I'll get some more Udo's and see if it improves again, other than that, I just don't know what to do. I've also noticed some tiny black chunks in my poo - Anyone know what that is? They're about 1/2 the size of a pencil eraser in diameter.

--------------------

#325100 - 02/20/08 03:48 PM
CJIBSDG

Lettuce???? Can other IBS folks tolerate lettuce? I just assumed lettuce is something I'll never be able to eat since it causes me horrible issues.

--------------------

Lettuce new
      #325101 - 02/20/08 03:54 PM
Erilyn

I seem to be able to tolerate lettuce just fine. I was surprised when Heather said it was typically problematic for us. I seem to have trouble with certain other leafy greens, such as FRESH herbs like basil. Go figure.

--------------------

#325111 - 02/20/08 04:42 PM
MelanieR

I can't eat lettuce and all its cousins. It is such a horriable thing.

--------------------

#325149 - 02/21/08 07:45 AM
avjens

Lettuce does not bother me.

#325156 - 02/21/08 08:49 AM
Jordy

Quote:

My doc says the sticky poo is caused from all the insoluble (aka starches) that I'm eating

Do you mean soluble fibers?

--------------------

#325586 - 02/26/08 05:12 PM
CJIBSDG

Yes Jordy, I did mean to say soluble fiber - My bad, sorry about that

I can't explain it, but since I've been back on the probiotics (both with align and with Udo's choice), I've not had the sticky poop anymore. Still eating the same carbs/soluble fibers - I have no idea why a probiotic would resolve that issue, but it seems to have done the trick. I think I've been on the probiotic for about 3 weeks now (first align, then switched to Udo's choice) and no sticky poo since.

--------------------

#325600 - 02/27/08 05:48 AM
Jordy

Are you taking 3 of the Udo's again? Or just one a day? that's too bad the one a day of the Align didn't work as well. Guess everyone is different....as usual with IBS.

I don't get how a probiotic could resolve sticky poop either...but glad it works for you!

--------------------

#325965 - 03/03/08 03:32 PM
CJIBSDG

Jordy, I'm taking 3 Udo's per day? I've been back on Udo's choice for 9 days now and am very happy to report that I have not had a single incident of C or D in 9 whole days!!!! I do still get a little too much gas on occassion, but gastrizyme clears that up immediately. I've been having 1 to 2 NORMAL BM every day or two. As you know, this is my 2nd time trying Udo's Choice. I took it for 4 weeks and saw significant improvement, then went off for 3 weeks and immediately started in with the C and D, then tried Align for a week some improvement but not enough. It's going to be Udo's for me from here on out! My doc did say that I'll probably need to take a probiotic for life. It is very expensive, but my plan is to cut down to 2 pills per day after taking it for a full month and see how I do. If I do well with 2 pills/day for a full month, then I'll try just 1/day. If I can maintain a good balance with 1/day it will only cost $30/month which is reasonable.

Oh, I should also mention that I've been eating some very bad foods this past week (mainly just to test the waters b/c I'm really beginning to think that most of the foods I've eliminated probably won't bother me as long as I'm taking Udo's). Some of the things I ate last week are: Chinese food (3 days in a row), fried chicken, several diet coke's, raw carrots, raw cauliflower, raw celery - NO PROBLEMS (aside from some pretty foul gas from the chinese - which I cleared up immediately with gastrizyme). I'm so sold on this probiotic

Emmasmom, if you haven't tried any probiotics, I strongly encourage it. I know we're all different, but the benefits I'm experiencing are incredible!! It's called Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus. I get it at my co-op and not sure if you can order it online. I tried Align, but it didn't do much for me.

--------------------

#326006 - 03/04/08 11:02 AM
Jordy

That is so great! I hope the reduced amount turns out to help you just as much. It must be such a relief to find something that actually helpss!

I wonder if this would help someone with IBS-C as much as it has helped you.

Is there a cheap place to buy this besides a private HFS? Not sure what a coop is.

Thanks so much for the update!

--------------------

#326015 - 03/04/08 11:37 AM
avjens

There are so many types of probiotics out there to experiment with. I do iFlora Multi-Probiotic Formula (Sedona Labs) which is cheaper than the Udo's and Align -- I am IBS-C and it works wonders.

Re: Probiotics for Jordy new
      #326068 - 03/04/08 05:32 PM
CJIBSDG

Jordy, I've found a few places online where it can be purchased a little cheaper:

http://www.vitacost.com/Udos-Choice-Super-Bifido-Plus-Probiotic

This site ships it in ice which is critical:
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=3705630389853301316&at=0

Here's some info on it:

Udo's Choice® Super Bifido Plus Probiotic consists of 10 strains of beneficial bacteria and contains 70 billion viable cells per capsule (at date of manufacture). This potent adult formula has a high concentration of bifidobacterium strains, balanced with lactobacillus strains, to support large intestine health and help restore friendly bacteria populations. Udo's Choice® Super Bifido Plus Probiotic assists in providing relief from occasional constipation or irregularity. It is also ideal for travelers to maintain healthy flora while away from home.

I've seen another product from Udo's Choice "Hi-Potency Bowel" that has these same bacteria. Here's a listing of Bacteria for both:
Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 Capsule

One Capsule Provides % DV
Bifidobacterium breve 35% *
Bifidobacterium bifidum 15% *
Lactobacillus casei 11% *
Bifidobacterium longum 10% *
Lactobacillus rhamnosus 10% *
Lactobacillus plantarum 6% *
Lactobacillus acidophilus 5% *
Lactococcus lactis 5% *
Lactobacillus brevis 2% *
Lactobacillus bulgaricus 1% *

--------------------

#326113 - 03/05/08 12:28 PM
Aoife

Reged: 03/04/08

Dear Emmasmom, I know what you mean. I married a chef for god sake and I love my food. Im constantly eating the wrong stuff and I have to take a difene every time I do, its bloody awful.

#326163 - 03/06/08 06:16 AM
Jordy

so, how do we figure out which one works for us without spending thousands and thousands of dollars? I never have seen the Sedona Labs brand anywhere.

--------------------

#326164 - 03/06/08 06:17 AM
Jordy

Thank you for all the info you provided. I still wonder if this would as well for C.

--------------------

#326171 - 03/06/08 06:47 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Very few probiotics have been clinically tested for their effectiveness for IBS suffers. I have only seen clinical trials for VSL#3 and Align use with IBS. Digestive Advantage claims to have some unpublished research information showing the benefits of the probioticGanedenBC30 (Bacillus coagulans). See this message for more details.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#326172 - 03/06/08 06:53 AM
Jordy

Yet, these 2 different probiotics have tremedously helped them, while VSL and align and DA haven't worked for others?

--------------------

#326173 - 03/06/08 07:05 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Personal accounts are unreliable because there are too many factors involved managing IBS. Clinical trials with comparison to a placebo is the only way to determine the efficacy of various probiotics on IBS. I wish Align was available in Canada because it appears to be the most effective. AND it appears to be effective for C and D.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Want to introduce myself, new to board new
      #326178 - 03/06/08 07:44 AM
Patty23

Reged: 03/05/08
Loc: NC

Hello everyone!

I joined your group a couple of days ago and I have been spending my time reading some of the threads. It is so good to find a group of people that are in the same boat as I am!

I suffered from IBM with C for several years, until my doctors had to do surgery to remove most of my lower intestine....now I suffer from D most of the time, which I feel is worse than the C! It seems that no matter what I had to eat..I had to go straight to the bathroom right after eating. I found that somethings would not bother me, and then the next time I ate it, it would! I am sure you all know that this is very frustrating. I am so afraid to leave the house, for fear that I might have to use the bathroom somewhere, the smell is so bad, I am so embarrassed!

I am not only IBS but I am also a diabetic with neuropathy and I am afraid that if I follow this diet with all the white bread, potatoes and white rice, that it will incease my blood sugar. Is there other diabetics on the forum?

I am lucky in the fact that I am not lactose intolerant. I eat Dannon Activia everyday, and it does seem to help me, especially with the smell. It does slow down the times I have to go to the bathroom from 8 to 10 times a day to only 2 to 3 times a day, has anyone tried this? But, I must add that sometimes it does not work, so I end up back at square one again.

I have also found that if I eat small meals and chew my food very, very good that I don't have as much trouble with the D. I look forward to learning about this disease from you all, and hopefully will be able to contribute from time to time.

Take care,

--------------------
Patty Everett, President
http://www.craftingcrazy.com

#326188 - 03/06/08 08:57 AM
avjens

I buy Sedona Labs online as I can't find it locally (iherb.com). I think when it comes to probiotics it is going to be a personal choice as there is not much research out there on it. I feel Udo's and Align are expensive probiotics to buy and just becuase others have not been tested does not mean that they cannot be beneficial. I personally cannot afford either one on a monthly basis and that is why I am going out on a limb and trying other brands and listening to other IBSers to see what they have tried with success or without success. Like any kind of homeopathic idea or herb remedy some will say it does not work others will say it was their miracle drug. I don't have the answers to this probiotics. Good luck and hopefully you can find some peace on this probiotic thing.

#326227 - 03/06/08 03:32 PM
CJIBSDG

Quote:

Thank you for all the info you provided. I still wonder if this would as well for C.

Jordy, I can only speak for myself on this question... Before beginning Heather's diet I was truly IBS D (having 8 BM per day in a matter of 2 hours), after beginning the diet I shifted to A. I would go several days with no BMs and have about 2 days per week having 8 BMs per day. Since taking Udo's, I've been having typically 1 to 2 BM per day (the first week it was 1 to 2 every other day).

I would also like to note that this specific probiotic is geared more toward C not D - but the bottom line is that it just helps to keep you regulated.

Here's an exerpt from Udo's statement:

Udo's Choice® Super Bifido Plus Probiotic assists in providing relief from occasional constipation or irregularity.

I may have just gotten lucky and the 1st one I tried was the right one for me - I don't know. Also, I wonder if I had taken more of the Align (say 3 per day instead of the recommended 1), would I have noticed the same benefits I'm getting from Udo's?? That's probably not something I'll explore just because I'm doing so well and don't want to rock the boat. Udo's is very expensive, I'm going to see if it is covered by my FBAP (money I have taken out of my check for medical expenses) at least that way it will be at tax free dollars. I also plan to talk to my GI and see if I can get it with an Rx so the insurance will cover it (I'm kind of doubtful that will be the case but it's worth a shot). But, the bottom line for me is if I don't take it, I will continue to miss far too much work and will end up getting fired - so the money I spend on Udo's is worth keeping myself employed :-)

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 450 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 37919

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review