All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Erilyn & Melanie~ Can tomatoes new
      #324975 - 02/18/08 04:09 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Since Tomaote Sauce or BBQ sauce doesn't agree with me, do you think that the can tomoates would be ok. Ketchup is fine I use the organic kind and fresh tomatoes I eat everyday! Let me know your thoughts. God bless you both for your help!!!!
hugs....
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Erilyn & Melanie~ Can tomatoes new
      #324984 - 02/18/08 06:28 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I think organic canned tomatoes that don't have any added ingredients (such onions or garlic) should be fine!

Here is the recipe for that oven-roasted tomato sauce:

- 8 large beefsteak, OR 15 plum or roma tomatoes
- olive oil (tomatoes will burn without it - just use as little as possible)
- 1 tbs EACH of dried oregano and basil (if you can tolerate)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper

Place oven racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 400 F. Slice tomatoes in half and place in a very large bowl. Drizzle with oil and and sprinkle with seasonings. Toss to evenly coat. Tumble onto two large, rimmed baking sheets. Roast, uncovered, in top and bottom thirds of oven, stirring occasionlay to prevent burning, until tomatoes are very soft, 30-40 minutes. Switch position of baking sheets halfway through roasting. Scrape mixture from baking sheet ino a food processor or strong blender. Whirl until no large chunks remain. Repeat with the remaining sheet. Sauce will keep covered and refridgerated up to three days, or freeze up to three months. When using, season as desired!

As for a pasta dish without tomato sauce, I came across this Vegetable Lo Mein:

- 8 ounces angel hair pasta (or any pasta, really!)
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (if you can't do soy sauce, perhaps you could just add more broth and season with ground ginger or something!)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 3/4 cups chopped celery
- 1 3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 3/4 cups sliced carrots
- (the recipe also called for 2 cups of bean sprouts, you can add or omit at your discretion!)

Cook pasta until done, and steam vegetables until done. Whisk together broth, soy sauce, and cornstarch in large saucepan, and heat until it just starts to thicken. Add pasta and vegetables and stir well to combine. Makes app. 4 servings.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Edited by Erilyn (02/19/08 08:12 AM)

Re: Erilyn & Melanie~ Can tomatoes new
      #324997 - 02/19/08 06:31 AM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

I think the only way you will know if canned tomato will work is just to try. If you buy organic & unseasoned it should be fine. It would be just like buying them fresh because organic doesn't add anything yucky in there. It is just canned. If you can have canned tomato paste it is a good thickner for your chilli.
You asked about tuna. I haven't had any problem with substition of canned chicken. They are mostly interchangeable. Try the tuna pasta salad (from earlier post in this thread)with chicken or even canned salmon. You could even try some cut up crab. That would be good also. (Oh I love sea food, I'm getting hungry.)

I have a recipe for Tuna Vegetable Sauce that is good....just don't use tuna. Use canned salmon or chicken.

1 TBSP vegetable oil- I used olive oil
2 cups mushrooms- I used baby bella but any would be just fine
1 stalk of celery- add as much as you like or can handle
1/3 chopped sweet red or green pepper- I left out because I don't really care for peppers
2 TBSP all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup soy milk- You said you couldn't do soy use almond or rice milk
1 small can (6.5oz but any size around that would work) of water packed tuna- use chicken or salmon
1 TBSP ketchup
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt

1-In large sauce pan heat oil and cook mushroom, celery and peppers covered 8-10 minutes or until soft.
2-Sprinkle with flour, stir. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat until thickened.
3-Stir in canned meat, ketchup, worcestershire sauce and salt until combined.
*from the Lactose-Free Family Cookbook by Jan Main.

Serve over rice, pasta, baked potatos. You could make the carrots I posted earlier on this thread. Make some biscuts, rolls or bread. You could eat this with a salad, peas, green beans or carrots.(These veggies except the carrots are all IF.) Really just about anything. This is kind of like tuna noodle casseroll but sweeter. I really liked it. This recipe also called for onion and garlic; since you can't have them I just omited it from the recipe.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

Re: Chili? Thanks new
      #324998 - 02/19/08 06:33 AM
MelanieR

The chilli recipe you posted would be good but it would be thin, you will need something to thicken it up. Just a little. Some tomato paste would work.

--------------------

Re: Chili? Thanks new
      #324999 - 02/19/08 07:27 AM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

You all have done an excellent job with suggestions! I am excited to try some of them for my family!

Sides new
      #325006 - 02/19/08 09:02 AM
Erilyn

Quote:

but what would the sides be besides the same old pots?

Try these ideas for sides:

- Different types of rice, like jasmine, basmati, wild rice, etc. They all have their own unique flavours.
- Couscous. I love it! It's good plain or seasoned with curry and cumin, or even a little balsamic vinegar. It's even good cold.
- Different SF vegetables such as turnip, sweet potatoes, squash, etc. Experiment to come up with something you like.
- Meatless pasta salad.
- Potato salad – still potatoes of course, just done differently! Mash 2 parts cooked potato and 1 part cooked carrot, chop an apple, and stir all together with low fat or fat-free mayo. Add a little sugar to taste if desired. And that's just one idea – there are tons of safe potato salads on the recipe board!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

Re: I have quit eating! IBS HAS WON!!!! new
      #325081 - 02/20/08 09:14 AM
MelanieR

Emmasmom,
Have you had any sucess trying any of the new ideas we posted?

--------------------

Re: Probiotics new
      #325098 - 02/20/08 03:43 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Quote:

Good luck with the Align! It would be so much cheaper than Udo's. Thanks for the info!

Oh, I have sticky, messy BMs too! Can never just get a solid one! What causes that?

My doc says the sticky poo is caused from all the insoluble (aka starches) that I'm eating. I have noticed that they are less sticky when I'm on a probiotic. But, I have to say that I'm not noticing the improvement with align that I saw with Udo's choice. I'm still having days of C followed by days of D. I think I'll get some more Udo's and see if it improves again, other than that, I just don't know what to do. I've also noticed some tiny black chunks in my poo - Anyone know what that is? They're about 1/2 the size of a pencil eraser in diameter.

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

Re: ok sure! new
      #325100 - 02/20/08 03:48 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Lettuce???? Can other IBS folks tolerate lettuce? I just assumed lettuce is something I'll never be able to eat since it causes me horrible issues.

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

Lettuce new
      #325101 - 02/20/08 03:54 PM
Erilyn

I seem to be able to tolerate lettuce just fine. I was surprised when Heather said it was typically problematic for us. I seem to have trouble with certain other leafy greens, such as FRESH herbs like basil. Go figure.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2164 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 38383

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review