All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: Probiotics new
      #326163 - 03/06/08 06:16 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

so, how do we figure out which one works for us without spending thousands and thousands of dollars? I never have seen the Sedona Labs brand anywhere.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotics for Jordy new
      #326164 - 03/06/08 06:17 AM
Jordy

Thank you for all the info you provided. I still wonder if this would as well for C.

--------------------

#326171 - 03/06/08 06:47 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Very few probiotics have been clinically tested for their effectiveness for IBS suffers. I have only seen clinical trials for VSL#3 and Align use with IBS. Digestive Advantage claims to have some unpublished research information showing the benefits of the probioticGanedenBC30 (Bacillus coagulans). See this message for more details.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#326172 - 03/06/08 06:53 AM
Jordy

Yet, these 2 different probiotics have tremedously helped them, while VSL and align and DA haven't worked for others?

--------------------

#326173 - 03/06/08 07:05 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Personal accounts are unreliable because there are too many factors involved managing IBS. Clinical trials with comparison to a placebo is the only way to determine the efficacy of various probiotics on IBS. I wish Align was available in Canada because it appears to be the most effective. AND it appears to be effective for C and D.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Want to introduce myself, new to board new
      #326178 - 03/06/08 07:44 AM
Patty23

Reged: 03/05/08
Loc: NC

Hello everyone!

I joined your group a couple of days ago and I have been spending my time reading some of the threads. It is so good to find a group of people that are in the same boat as I am!

I suffered from IBM with C for several years, until my doctors had to do surgery to remove most of my lower intestine....now I suffer from D most of the time, which I feel is worse than the C! It seems that no matter what I had to eat..I had to go straight to the bathroom right after eating. I found that somethings would not bother me, and then the next time I ate it, it would! I am sure you all know that this is very frustrating. I am so afraid to leave the house, for fear that I might have to use the bathroom somewhere, the smell is so bad, I am so embarrassed!

I am not only IBS but I am also a diabetic with neuropathy and I am afraid that if I follow this diet with all the white bread, potatoes and white rice, that it will incease my blood sugar. Is there other diabetics on the forum?

I am lucky in the fact that I am not lactose intolerant. I eat Dannon Activia everyday, and it does seem to help me, especially with the smell. It does slow down the times I have to go to the bathroom from 8 to 10 times a day to only 2 to 3 times a day, has anyone tried this? But, I must add that sometimes it does not work, so I end up back at square one again.

I have also found that if I eat small meals and chew my food very, very good that I don't have as much trouble with the D. I look forward to learning about this disease from you all, and hopefully will be able to contribute from time to time.

Take care,

--------------------
Patty Everett, President
http://www.craftingcrazy.com

#326188 - 03/06/08 08:57 AM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

I buy Sedona Labs online as I can't find it locally (iherb.com). I think when it comes to probiotics it is going to be a personal choice as there is not much research out there on it. I feel Udo's and Align are expensive probiotics to buy and just becuase others have not been tested does not mean that they cannot be beneficial. I personally cannot afford either one on a monthly basis and that is why I am going out on a limb and trying other brands and listening to other IBSers to see what they have tried with success or without success. Like any kind of homeopathic idea or herb remedy some will say it does not work others will say it was their miracle drug. I don't have the answers to this probiotics. Good luck and hopefully you can find some peace on this probiotic thing.

Re: Probiotics for Jordy new
      #326227 - 03/06/08 03:32 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Quote:

Thank you for all the info you provided. I still wonder if this would as well for C.

Jordy, I can only speak for myself on this question... Before beginning Heather's diet I was truly IBS D (having 8 BM per day in a matter of 2 hours), after beginning the diet I shifted to A. I would go several days with no BMs and have about 2 days per week having 8 BMs per day. Since taking Udo's, I've been having typically 1 to 2 BM per day (the first week it was 1 to 2 every other day).

I would also like to note that this specific probiotic is geared more toward C not D - but the bottom line is that it just helps to keep you regulated.

Here's an exerpt from Udo's statement:

Udo's Choice® Super Bifido Plus Probiotic assists in providing relief from occasional constipation or irregularity.

I may have just gotten lucky and the 1st one I tried was the right one for me - I don't know. Also, I wonder if I had taken more of the Align (say 3 per day instead of the recommended 1), would I have noticed the same benefits I'm getting from Udo's?? That's probably not something I'll explore just because I'm doing so well and don't want to rock the boat. Udo's is very expensive, I'm going to see if it is covered by my FBAP (money I have taken out of my check for medical expenses) at least that way it will be at tax free dollars. I also plan to talk to my GI and see if I can get it with an Rx so the insurance will cover it (I'm kind of doubtful that will be the case but it's worth a shot). But, the bottom line for me is if I don't take it, I will continue to miss far too much work and will end up getting fired - so the money I spend on Udo's is worth keeping myself employed :-)

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 318 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 38052

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review