All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
For those that eat fruit
      #324610 - 02/12/08 04:50 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

What kinds of fruit do you eat? According to Heather's diet, mango and papaya are safe. I tried just plain mango and I wasnt a fan. But I love dried mango and dried papaya, but I am suspicious of those cause of all the sugar and if they have been giving me my recent problems.

I was wondering also if there is any organic dried fruit maybe without added sugar??? I dont eat vegetables and rarely fruit, my electrolytes are already low, I need some sort of nutrients! Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Stef

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For those that eat fruit new
      #324613 - 02/12/08 05:40 PM
kristi123

Reged: 10/13/07

I'm not sure about the dried fruit...but the only kind of fruits and veggies I do fine with are bananas, applesauce, cooked carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and beets...have you tried any of these?

--------------------
IBS-D

#324616 - 02/12/08 08:22 PM
Narns

Reged: 01/11/08

Steffijoy have you looked into fructose malabsorpion? That has been my problem and when I follow the right diet I am fine. I think there is some info on the message boards about it, it's not an intuitive diet to follow but do look it up and see what you think. For me bananas and oranges are the main fruits I eat. I never eat dried fruits or drink juices. Wheat isn't good and certain vegies have to be avoided especially onion. Good luck

#324620 - 02/13/08 05:59 AM

Unregistered

I eat bananas everyday and either raspberries or blueberries mixed in with my oatmeal. Applesauce is ok too.

#324631 - 02/13/08 09:06 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Hi Stef, I just posted an answer to your question over in the living room that hopefully will help you out!

If fructose IS a problem for you, maybe you could just try eating different fruits (no dried). I can tolerate bananas and small oranges. I can also tolerate a few green grapes (but not red ones). Things like peaches and plums really give me the rumblies. Whenever I've eaten 1/2 a grapefruit, I seem to be hit and miss – sometimes I can tolerate it, other times not so much. Just like everything else, this too requires some experimentation.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324647 - 02/13/08 10:06 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

I find the easiet fruits to eat are melon and nectarines/peaches. My stomach seems to digest these quite easily. However, i'm IBS C so it may be different if you have IBS D.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#324653 - 02/13/08 11:03 AM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

I also love dried papaya and was a bit disappointed to notice the other day that it has added sugar. I think I'm right in saying though that sugar doesn't generally cause IBS problems(?) I incorporate small amounts of various chopped dried fruits into my porridge (oatmeal) whilst it's cooking - sultanas, dates, apricots - and they seem be digestable in this form. Like previous posters, I also eat looaads of bananas!

#324656 - 02/13/08 11:46 AM
Kimberley321

Reged: 01/21/08
Loc: London, UK

Bananas, bananas, bananas- I have them coming out of my ears and I think I might be turning into a chimpanzee!!!!

#324661 - 02/13/08 12:40 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Bananas are my favorites. I also like mangoes and pineapples, fresh peaches, strawberries (but those I only buy when they're in season). I used to be addicted to apples but now I have to eat them carefully because they hurt my teeth (I'm getting a crown and for some reason my teeth got really sensitive during the process).

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#324671 - 02/13/08 02:51 PM
steffiejoy

Thanks everyone for your help! Unfortunetly I am very allergic to bananas!! I know... major bummer! I think I might go back to the basics for a bit: plain white rice, plain chicken and french/sourdough bread. As for fruit, I never thought the dried fruit bothered me, but all of a sudden everything is. Even today for lunch I had issues and I didnt have any fruit. I do like mangos though, so I will have to try them fresh-not dried. Thanks again!!

#324680 - 02/13/08 04:05 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Stef,

What about bananas? Apple sauce? I eat dried fruit strips too - the Fruit to Go ones. I can also eat strawberries, cantaloupe, water and honeydew melon, blueberries, plums, figs, dates and grapes. I stay away from fresh apples, citrus fruit of any sort, peaches, nectarines and pineapple.

You've gotta start eating something Stef!! If you try 1 piece of the fruit even, you don't have to start out eating a whole lot of something.

As for your veggies, try the more easily digestible ones - summer / acorn squash and sweet potato were what I started with. Then I added carrots, green beans, broccoli, peas, all cooked of course. Now I can even manage a small salad, raw tomatoes, lettuce on sandwiches, carrot and celery sticks. Always in moderation!!!

Good luck...

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Bananas new
      #324713 - 02/14/08 07:20 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Don't they constipate you and/or give you gas? I miss them, but they totally clog me up.

I notice most of the posters who said bananas lean toward D.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#324714 - 02/14/08 07:24 AM
Jordy

You can get dried papaya without sugar from Trader Joes or Whole foods. I thought dried fruit was hard on the tummy?

--------------------

#324841 - 02/15/08 08:59 PM
steffiejoy

Thanks for the advice about the dried fruit. Maybe dried fruit is hard on the tummy. I dont know... that could be part of my problem! Argh... its so tough to figure this all out.

Re: Bananas new
      #324888 - 02/16/08 09:58 PM
Hunca

Reged: 02/09/08

Quote:

Don't they constipate you and/or give you gas? I miss them, but they totally clog me up.

I notice most of the posters who said bananas lean toward D.

That's what I've always read, too, so I stay away from them, now. (IBS-C, here) All these things I used to eat without any problem, whatsoever... what happened?!

** cheryl **
IBS sucks

#324899 - 02/17/08 07:42 PM
Jordy

I was beginning to think I was the only one. Did you just read this, or does it actually cause C for you? Sometimes I can't tell if it's real or something I've read that scares me.

--------------------

#324968 - 02/18/08 03:11 PM
Hunca

Reged: 02/09/08

Quote:

I was beginning to think I was the only one. Did you just read this, or does it actually cause C for you? Sometimes I can't tell if it's real or something I've read that scares me.

I've read it many, many places. It seems like there are way more IBS-D folks here vs IBS-C. I think, if you had half a small banana, that would be ok. I get the smallest ones I can find, and then split them w/my husband. So many things cause C for me, that it's hard to know if bananas are a culprit, or not.

Imo, there is no real solution to this. Everyone reacts so differently to various foods, that it makes it nearly impossible to outline a real treatment solution. There are many tips that are helpful to try, but it's all a trial-and-error thing, seems to me. The soluble fiber is a definite assist, tho, as are the generally-agreed-upon main triggers.

Completely frustrating, esp when the drs don't do much to help.

** cheryl **

#324986 - 02/18/08 06:39 PM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

You really hit the nail on the head with "moderation." That is so true! I'm a former "the bigger the better" salad or veggie kinda gal with this mentality coming from Weight Watchers and filling up on "0 Point" veggies. I'm had to learn to eat small portions on the veggies and fruits and it really does help.

Interesting that we do not all tolerate the same things. I can eat apples and peaches with the skin no problem, which was a pleasant surprise since they are so nice and portable that way.

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1603 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3115

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review