All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Success at giving up sodas-Cokes?
      #324197 - 02/06/08 01:18 PM
Wendy1234

Reged: 02/06/08

How did you do it? Did you wean yourself off or go cold turkey? I'm desperately trying to do it and have bad headaches when I quit. I know that stuff is tearing up my stomach so I want to quit. Any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Success at giving up sodas-Cokes? new
      #324198 - 02/06/08 01:21 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I just quit cold turkey. It wasn't that hard, but then, it typically took me at least 2 days to get through a 20 oz. bottle. Probably a good thing I was a big fan of water and herbal tea before the IBS hit. (Sorry, I'm not much help! )

Good luck!

#324203 - 02/06/08 01:55 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I used to drink it ALL the TIME. I was the same way – I'd get headaches if I didn't drink it every day. For the first week, I found it very hard, and I cheated quite a bit. Rather than drinking 3-4 glasses a day, I would limit myself to one only. Then, on November 19th (which I consider my first day on the diet cheat-free), I didn't have any at all. I just drank lots of water. The next day, I felt I had done so well that I didn't want to "spoil" it by having a diet coke. So I didn't have one that day either. Each day got easier as I became more and more proud of myself for sticking to it. And yes, I had headaches, but I just took plenty of Tylenol. Not the best solution, I suppose, but it helped. The headaches took about 2 weeks to go away. I won't lie – it wasn't easy – but it is doable. Just try to think of each cheat-free day as one more step towards feeling better!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324205 - 02/06/08 01:59 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I just quit cold turkey. I didn't get headaches so that was good but I really missed the taste! But it wad doable, I just drank a lot of water and tea instead. I would also have some cranberry juice diluted with water. Not the same but oh well

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#324206 - 02/06/08 02:00 PM
Wendy1234

Reged: 02/06/08

Thanks for the advice ladies. I'm getting married in May and I'm very stressed with wedding stuff and we are trying to buy a house. It's our FIFTH house we are trying to buy since October and it has been a nightmare. Needless to say, I feel like a walking balloon. The caffeine also gives me migraines so I'd do myself a big favor by giving it up altogether!

#324251 - 02/07/08 05:01 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

I agree with everyone else. Just say NO. That is what I had to do for coffee and everytime I was tempted I reminded myself of the discomfort I would feel if I gave in to that temptation. After about two weeks I got passed my addiction to caffeine and now I carry herbal tea bags with me everywhere and just ask for hot water.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#324268 - 02/07/08 08:53 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

To be honest...diet coke doesn't bother me. I try to drink the caffeine free type. I know everyone is different.

Have you tried a little seltzer with a safe fruit juice for you...at least you get some carbonation. (unless that really bothers you)

Sandy

#324316 - 02/07/08 06:59 PM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

I was the biggest diet coke addict in my past life and I sometimes wonder if that contributed to developing IBS. I probably drank 60-100 oz a day. Nothing tasted good to me without it. I routinely picked up a 44oz in the morning on the way to work and continued all day.

I stoped cold turkey. I occasionally try a litte c.f. now but it usually hurts my stomach as soon as it goes down.

Just quit. Unfortunatley, pop is a big trigger.

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

#325055 - 02/20/08 01:00 AM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

Fortunately, I had already weaned myself off much of the caffeine when I was pregnant. After I stopped nursing, I added the caffeinated cokes back a little at a time, but was mostly drinking caff-free Coke. By the time IBS hit full-force, I was probably having 6-7 cans per day on a normal day. When I decided to quit, my battle was more with intense cravings, rather than withdrawal headaches.

Even 2 years later, I still miss coke on occasion. I will never go back, though... Within less than a week of quitting cokes altogether, I went from constant nausea and D many times a day, to only 3-4 bad days a week... cut my symptoms in half!! Following the rest of the diet (and addressing underlying anxiety/depression) fixed the rest.

When I do have an intense craving now, I sometimes have one little sip, but the indigestion that lasts for the rest of the afternoon is enough to curb any more cravings for a while...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1651 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1760

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review