All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Natural Valley Oats and Honey
      #324166 - 02/06/08 10:00 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I was just wondering if these were safe for a sncak or do you need sf first? thanks
emmasmom
ibs-c

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Natural Valley Oats and Honey new
      #324170 - 02/06/08 10:02 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

I was under the impression that they are SF so are safe for snacking. I hope so because i love them and have them every morning!...

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#324187 - 02/06/08 12:19 PM
emmasmom

cool! I hope cause they are good!This would give me somthing differant ya!
emamsmom
ibs-c

#324189 - 02/06/08 12:44 PM

Unregistered

Are you asking about the granola bars or the cereal? The granola bars have high fructose corn syrup and the cereal has non-fat milk...

#324196 - 02/06/08 01:09 PM
emmasmom

the bars!I can't seem to find anything for a snack besides grham crackers and pretzels can't do applesauce what elese is there thanks
emmasmom
ibs-c

#324199 - 02/06/08 01:24 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

What about 100 calorie packs? I do well with the Lorna Doones and Nutter Butters. (Despite being called shortbread, the Lorna Doones don't have any dairy.)

I'm also a big fan of carrot sticks, but I know not everyone can tolerate them.

#324204 - 02/06/08 01:59 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Quote:

Are you asking about the granola bars or the cereal? The granola bars have high fructose corn syrup and the cereal has non-fat milk...

Just to clarify, not EVERYONE has trouble with fructose - if they did, most of wouldn't be able to eat applesauce, yet most of us do! Unfortunately, I am one of the fructose-sensitive people.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324210 - 02/06/08 02:20 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I believe that brand and flavor is safe. It is in a green wrapper right? It doesn't contain HFCS if it is the one I am thinking of and is low enough in fat. A nice option from a gas station.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#324213 - 02/06/08 02:30 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Are you guys talking about about the Nature Valley bars? I tired googling "Natural Valley" but that was all I could find.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

High Fructose Corn Syrup new
      #324217 - 02/06/08 02:54 PM

Unregistered

Nobody should eat HFCS, though. Not even people without IBS. HFCS is different from fructose. Here's a link to an article. If you google high fructose corn syrup, you'll find a ton of information out there describing how terrible it is for the body.

http://www.westonaprice.org/motherlinda/cornsyrup.html

HFCS contains fructose new
      #324218 - 02/06/08 03:15 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you search the board you will see Mother Linda's website has been mentioned many times before.

HFCS is not different from fructose. It contains fructose.

HFCS is a syrup composed of two sugars - glucose and fructose. In normal HFCS there is 45 grams of glucose and 55 grams of fructose per 100 grams. It contains 10 more grams of fructose compared to glucose per 100 grams.

Compare this to honey which typically contains 35 grams of glucose and 41 grams of fructose. It contains 6 grams more fructose than glucose.

People that are sensitive to fructose in HFCS are also sensitive to fructose in honey or any other food. An individual's sensitivity is determine by how much more fructose than glucose they can consume without experiencing IBS or IBS like symptoms.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: HFCS contains fructose new
      #324235 - 02/06/08 06:21 PM

Unregistered

Wow, Syl, you sure are a scientist! You're very exacting. What I actually meant was that HFCS is a different ISSUE for me, not a different substance altogether. I assume everyone here knows HFCS contains fructose, but the information I've read recently about HFCS makes me question the safety of having it in our diets - IBS aside. I don't have the training you have, and perhaps what I'm reading is more pop culture than actual science, but how HFCS may act on the body scares me. I wouldn't give it to my children. (I don't have any, but you hear what I'm saying.) If you have a different take on HFCS, please feel free to share. I seem to be fructose-sensitive, but even before I knew that, I avoided HFCS.

Thanks,
Jen

Thanks little minnie new
      #324240 - 02/06/08 08:04 PM
emmasmom

Thanks I read the package and couldn't find hfcs I am glad cause there pretty good!
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas

#324246 - 02/07/08 12:56 AM
Gbridelady

Reged: 05/30/07
Loc: Indiana

I buy the Quaker Oats Rice Cakes (caramel flavored). They have sugar in them but no hfcs. You can put peanut butter on them for a heavier snack or just eat them outta the bag and they come in 10 different flavors! They don't seem to bother my tummy so maybe they wouldn't hurt yours. The caramel isn't bad, and it's a good way for me to motivate myself to drink a nice cold bottle of water with a caramel rice cake, too! HFCS doesn't bother me if I really watch it and I try to keep a pint of Haagen-Daas Strawberry Sorbet in my fridge always! I guess we all have that sweet tooth in us!

--------------------
Gloria
IBS-C, lactose intolerant

#324247 - 02/07/08 04:41 AM
Syl

There is a lot of hype about the problems of HFCS being added too many foods. However, the same hype should be applied to the use of other high fructose additions to foods such as honey and fruit juices, particularly apple and pear. Strange how so many people have picked up on the problems with HFCS and ignore that the same problems exist when other fructose containing sweeteners.

What I find humorous about the Mother Linda article is that the author comes close to saying but never says that the enzymes used to produce HFCS are a problem too. She couches true statements in hyperboles. For example, she say "There's a couple of other murky things that consumers should know about HFCS" and continues to talk about enzymes implying that because they are produced by genetically modified organisms that this is an additional problem. This nonsense plays on the unfounded fears that many people have about genetically modified organisms even though it has nothing to do with the contents of HFCS nor are they found in HFCS.

At the end of the article she does come to a reasonable conclusion "Since the effects of fructose are most severe in the growing organism, we need to think carefully about what kind of sweeteners we give to our children. Fruit juices should be strictly avoided--they are very high in fructose--but so should anything with HFCS." However, most people fail to recognize that she puts other high fructose containing foods in the same basket with HFCS. Strange!

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

sorbet new
      #324258 - 02/07/08 07:53 AM
emmasmom

Oh i just got the strawberry its awesome the peach is even better!
emmasmom
ibs-c

#324344 - 02/08/08 10:51 AM

Unregistered

Syl, thank you for going into that for me. It's very interesting information.

That is enough new
      #324361 - 02/08/08 04:23 PM
Little Minnie

For those with fructose sensitivity they need to know honey and fruit juice are as dangerous as HFCS, but for those not affected by fructose in that way it is entirely ludicrous to compare HFCS and honey. Honey is the way God made it and for those without fructose issues it is definitely a healthier alternative to the man-produced HFCS. Why do you keep defending HFCS when you are fructose sensitive? It is completely idiotic to say HFCS is as healthy as honey or fruit. Honey and fruit have been a part of healthy diets all over the world for thousands of years. I agree the intake of fruit juice needs to be lessened in our world but then just say that, don't defend HFCS for no reason. I just don't understand it and cannot listen to it anymore!!!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: That is enough new
      #324364 - 02/08/08 06:37 PM
Syl

You will never see me defend the nutritional value of HFCS or any other man-made or natural sugars!

There is no question in my mind that fruits and juices are extremely nutritious!

However, I do point out that when it comes to fructose sensitive individuals that nutritious sources of fructose are just as bad as HFCS. AND if HFCS in food increases your IBS symptoms then it quite possible that honey and some fruits and fruit juices will too!

And I do point out misinformation and myths about any food or supplement including HFCS! I hope others will do the same!

--------------------

but why? new
      #324434 - 02/10/08 10:13 AM
Little Minnie

But why must you endelessly defend and point out myths, in your opinion, about HFCS?
I agree that someone who is fructose sensitive needs to be aware that all sources of fructose will bother them and that HFCS as well as fruit juices are dangerous for them. But it should be left at that. There is no reason to make people think that HFCS is benign. There is no reason to defend its merits or point out how close to nature you think it is. And there is no reason to vilify natural sources of fructose for those not fructose sensitive.

--------------------

Re: but why? new
      #324435 - 02/10/08 12:24 PM
Syl

Little Minnie, HFCS is benign for those that are not fructose sensitive. The over consumption of HFCS isn't benign. It is only composed of two simple sugars - glucose and fructose - the same sugars found in white/brown sugar, honey, fruits and fruit juices. It contains nothing else. There is nothing unnatural about the sugars in HFCS and it is impossible to distinguish between glucose and fructose found in HFCS, honey or any other natural source. These are simply facts of food chemistry.

The problem is not HFCS itself. The problem is the food industry's wide use of this cheap source of sweetness. It is put in food to make food more tantalizing to consumers. The way to tackle the HFCS is not to vilify it but to encourage consumer's to read the ingredients labels and stay way from foods that contain it and/or refined sugars. If consumers did not purchase foods containing HFCS then manufacturers would stop using it. In many ways the consumer is as much to blame as the food manufacturers.

The thing that makes HFCS so intriguing for IBS suffers is that can be used as an indicator. If an IBS suffer experiences problems with foods containing HFCS then they will likely experience problems with other natural high fructose containing foods too. This fact should be clearly made to IBS suffers instead of leaving them with the impression that HFCS is the only culprit!

Oh Gosh! If I have ever vilified natural sources of fructose for none fructose sensitive individuals then I sincerely apologize. This is not my belief! It is not my intent! So let me state this clearly once and for all. If you are not fructose sensitive then by all means enjoy honey, high fructose fruits and their juices! I wish I could

Little Minnie, I think we will have to agree to disagree. I just don't have the passionate dislike of HFCS that you seem to. I just cannot eat it

--------------------

agree to disagree new
      #324515 - 02/11/08 04:58 PM
Little Minnie

but I will speak up if I think some post or information was confusing. I do have a passionate dislike of HFCS because I note that those countries like the US that use it so much have much higher obesity and diabetes and other health problems than countries that use more unprocessed, let's call it, forms of sweeteners. I therefore think it is a travesty to put HFCS in diet or weight loss foods. I also tend to believe in the purposeful distribution of erroneous information by the powers that be where money is concerned. I don't trust the information we are given by government sources on high profit items like HFCS. We see how much has been spent to cover global warming and how many scientists were paid off to say what the powers that be want them to. So I am wary about foods like HFCS or aspartame and naturally want people to stay away!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 246 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4678

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review