All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
My "Splenda" experiment
      #323967 - 02/04/08 01:35 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

So I read that artificial sweeteners are bad for IBS people but I never noticed it bothering me (If I chew sugar free gum or sugar free candy). So I decided to try Splenda. I used ½ table spoon of splenda, raw in sauce. About an hour later I had horrible attack that lasted more than 3 hours. It was a stabbing pain under my rib cage that made it difficult to breath. I had it before when my IBS just started so I recognized the pain. But I tell you what; I am never trying artificial sweeteners again!

Just thought I'd share….

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My "Splenda" experiment new
      #323968 - 02/04/08 01:38 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Sorry you had such a bad experience! I am 99% sure I am fine with aspartame. Splenda, on the other hand, seems to give me some mild cramping that makes me think a D attack is coming on (though it doesn't actually seem to give me D). Like I said, though, it's very mild. But we are all different.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#323978 - 02/04/08 03:01 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I stay away from Splenda, I think it's pure evil ! I also THINK that aspartame doesn't bother me but who knows?
Thanks for sharing and hope the pain is gone now!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#323986 - 02/04/08 04:31 PM
tiredofpain

Reged: 11/25/06

Splenda is probably the worst of all articial sweeteners. It has sorbital which can reek havic on the gut.

aspartame new
      #324095 - 02/05/08 06:31 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Are you ladies eating foods with this in it? Is it really tolerable for some of us?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: aspartame new
      #324098 - 02/05/08 07:04 PM
Erilyn

I've had several glasses of diet ginger ale (containing aspartame) since I started EFI, and I haven't had any problems. Before I started EFI, I used to drink Diet Coke like it was going out of style. As far as I could tell, I could never associate my problems with the Diet Coke, but since I was drinking it several times a day, every day, it would have been tough to tell anyway!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

#324101 - 02/05/08 07:15 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I could have written Erilyn's post! I've had a bit of soda with aspartame here and there but that's maybe once every two weeks, often even less. A huge improvement since I used to drink gallons of diet Coke, lol! It was my afternoon pick-me-up (I hated the office coffee) and evening drink and sometimes just during-the-day drink !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#324127 - 02/06/08 05:59 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

I used to drink Diet Coke like it was going out of style. As far as I could tell, I could never associate my problems with the Diet Coke

Just curious, doesn't the carbonation cause you bloat and gas?

Are you stable? It's okay for you to drink diet Coke? Oh, how I miss it!!!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Diet Coke new
      #324185 - 02/06/08 12:14 PM
Erilyn

No, carbonation has never seemed to give me bloating or gas. About 7 years ago I gave up drinking it for about 6-8 months, just as an experiment to see if it would help with things like bloating, headaches, and some other general issues. It didn't help in the least, so I gladly went back to drinking it!

I am not stable yet. I feel like I'm getting there, but I'm not there yet. I go about 10-14 days doing well and then things go downhill again. These last few mornings I've had some pretty urgent, soft BMs – not liquid, just soft. I could handle that if it wasn't for the urgency! But some things have improved greatly – I haven't been C for probably over 2 weeks now (I'm IBS-A), and I haven't had mucous in my BMs at all since starting the diet. I still get wind but not as bad as I used to when I was eating high-IF cereal for breakfast (such as Raisin Bran and the like). I also take 10 grams of Acacia Fiber per day.

I've had maybe one glass of Diet Coke since starting the diet – it was one afternoon when I just had a terrible headache and needed the shot of caffeine to get rid of it. It seemed to work and didn't cause me any ill effects at all! I've been too afraid to add it back into my diet as a regular staple, though. I'm trying to narrow down all my trigger foods and I don't want anything interfering – LOL.

--------------------

#324186 - 02/06/08 12:17 PM
Erilyn

Quote:

I could have written Erilyn's post! I've had a bit of soda with aspartame here and there but that's maybe once every two weeks, often even less. A huge improvement since I used to drink gallons of diet Coke, lol! It was my afternoon pick-me-up (I hated the office coffee) and evening drink and sometimes just during-the-day drink !

LOL! Between the two of us, my husband and I used to go through about 6 two-liter bottles of Diet Coke a week!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1534 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2347

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review