All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
first day celebration
      #323953 - 02/04/08 12:24 PM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

This is going to sound ridiculous, especially as i've been on these boards for a while, but today has been the first day that i have actually strictly stuck to the EFI diet! My IBS has been so bad recently and affecting my quality of life so much so that i thought i should cut my losses and try the diet without any cheating. In the past i've always had a glass of wine, or a cup of coffee/tea, or some chocolate but today i haven't eaten anything i shouldn't have! Consequently, am feeling in a positive mental space for the first time in ages and my stomach is feeling a little better!

Just wanted to share this with you all. I just hope I can stick it out!

xxx

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: first day celebration new
      #323958 - 02/04/08 12:32 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Keep up the great work! You have more will power than I do. I've never been able to stick to the diet completely. {{{hugs}}}

#323959 - 02/04/08 12:35 PM
welshsarah

Thank you

It's taken me at least 6 months of worsening IBS symptoms to do it (have been diagnosed with IBS for 5 years and suffered with it since childhood).

We'll all arrive at stability eventually i reckon (or hope!).

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#323964 - 02/04/08 12:52 PM
Nugget

I believe I've suffered with IBS since I was a child, too. I have stable times that last a few days to a few months then have unstabel times that also last a few days or a few months. Wish there was a cure and more understanding of this syndrome. I'm almost 40 and am getting tired of worrying about my stomach issues.

#323965 - 02/04/08 01:02 PM
welshsarah

Tell me about it! IBS sucks. And because so many doctors i've seen tell me it's a mind over matter thing i can never stick to a diet because i get confused and worried about all the conflicting information. It's vicious circle!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#323966 - 02/04/08 01:14 PM
Nugget

I totally can relate to that. It's so confusing sometime between what I've been told and what I've read and what I experience. Most of the time I just keep my symptoms and problems with my stomach hidden and to myself as much as possible because it's so hard to explain to people who have never experienced it. My husband and family members have told me before that I just need to stop worrying about things. Well, IBS isn't all about worry and anxiety. And what I go through with my stomach and IBS adds to the anxiety and worry. People who have never gone through this don't understand. I get tired of talking to doctors about it, too. So I research it on my own and test out different things myself hoping to find something that works for ME. Everyone with IBS is different. Doctors don't understand that. If I had a broken arm. Everyone would understand. Nobody understands IBS unless they have dealt with it themselves.

#323969 - 02/04/08 01:44 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

That's great! I have been following the diet perhaps 95% cheat-free since the middle of November. I always feel better when I don't cheat. I have had the occasional glass of rye and ginger ale, and on New Year's Eve I had a little more chocolate and a few more cookies than I should have had, but for the most part I've been really good.

A far cry from my first week on the diet - I was still drinking milk, drinking Diet Coke, eating yogurt, eating cheese - trying to convince myself that these things didn't bother me (I'm still pretty sure that Diet Coke doesn't bother me, but will wait a while yet before re-introducing it). The start date in my signature below is my official "cheat-free" start date.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#323976 - 02/04/08 02:56 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

yay, let's celebrate ! That's really great! So are you just sticking to Heather's diet as it is, or are also wheat free? Because I think that's the most conflicting info I've gotten - to wheat or not to wheat ! I'm really having hard times figuring this one out on my own because I just get sick from many different things so often (like chocolate) that I have no idea what makes me sick in the first place . So now I'm just trying to eat wheat and not to cheat otherwise and see what happens.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#323977 - 02/04/08 02:59 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Quote:

I totally can relate to that. It's so confusing sometime between what I've been told and what I've read and what I experience. Most of the time I just keep my symptoms and problems with my stomach hidden and to myself as much as possible because it's so hard to explain to people who have never experienced it. My husband and family members have told me before that I just need to stop worrying about things. Well, IBS isn't all about worry and anxiety. And what I go through with my stomach and IBS adds to the anxiety and worry. People who have never gone through this don't understand. I get tired of talking to doctors about it, too. So I research it on my own and test out different things myself hoping to find something that works for ME. Everyone with IBS is different. Doctors don't understand that. If I had a broken arm. Everyone would understand. Nobody understands IBS unless they have dealt with it themselves.

Nugget, I couldn't agree with you more! People really don't get the whole "makes me sick" part. They have a hard time really believing that I am in pain, even though I act normal. But if I had to be whiny every time I hurt I'd be wining all the time! I don't worry that I will be sick; most of the time I AM sick already!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#323991 - 02/04/08 06:02 PM
Nugget

Zara....
isn't it sad that with a condition like this, or depression, or anxiety, etc. people don't understand...because there isn't any "proof" that they can "see" that we are sick. Whereas with a broken bone or something obvious, there is all kinds of sympathy, support, and understanding when someone is on crutches or in a cast. Maybe that's why I was so relaxed, calm, at ease and IBS-D free for the first 3 months after my hysterectomy....because everyone understood. I didn't have to explain anything or feel like I had to come up with an "excuse" as to why I couldn't do something. Everyone "knew" I couldn't because...duh...I just had surgery! Then three months later when I was supposed to be practically "healed" after surgery....my anxiety, IBS-D, etc. all returned. Does that make sense? It does to me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1072 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4115

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review