All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hopefully someone can help with my problem (irritation)
      #323936 - 02/04/08 11:05 AM
msoultan

Reged: 04/16/06
Loc: Long Beach, CA

So, I don't know if this is IBS related or what, but it's extremely frustrating. It seems to happen when I have certain foods (not exactly sure which) and I end up getting irritation around my anus. Here's a typical scenario:

I have a bowel movement - seems ok, firm for the most part. Problem is that I wipe, but then an hour or so later, there is still some leftover that's causing irritation. So I've started using baby wipes to make sure I really get everything clean, but I'll still get irritation after an hour or so.

This only seems to happen if I eat out twice in a row or have something that doesn't agree with my system (like too much chicken, for example). What I can't figure out is what's causing it. Is it from the previous BM, or is it from whatever's in my colon leaking out because stuff's moving too fast through my system? Or did my last BM have a high acidity because it was moving too fast and everything didn't get absorbed so now it's leaving a "film" of BM matter when I have a BM.

This is really frustrating because it's both itchy and sometimes painful. It's keeping me from traveling because I am scared of eating foods that I can't control. Usually if I eat white rice and bread and really basic foods (per the IBS book), I'm ok for the most part.

It would seem that when I have a really firm BM, I am totally fine as there is little to no cleanup. It's those BMs when thinks aren't quite formed up firm that I have problems.

So, I'm thinking that maybe if I shift towards foods that had a more constipating factor, that might help. I don't have any GI pains or excessive gas or anything - just this annoying irritation that is driving me bonkers!

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hopefully someone can help with my problem (irritation) new
      #323939 - 02/04/08 11:16 AM
TATERZ

Reged: 02/04/08
Loc: MIAMI, FL, USA

have you tried desitin or balmex or vaselline. im sure they would help if you put it on in the morning and at night before bms so they slip through and so that it stops the irritation. its like salt on c happed lips. if your irritated andother bm will irritate it more. even neosporin might help it will alleviate help it cure faster and prevent and infection there from the constant irritation, not the cream though the ointment. any ointment should help just make sure its safe to put in that area. this really should not be that hard to treat. just put it on after one of those bms and see if it helps an hour later. if not try another ointment. hopefully this will help good luck and if its itchy cortisone 1% will do the trick.

--------------------
IBC-C SINCE FEB '07
"I'M GOING TO FIND THE CURE "

#323944 - 02/04/08 11:33 AM
msoultan

Thanks for the quick reply!

The only issue I have with your recommended treatment is that this doesn't really solve the problem. I'm really curious as to what the problem is an how I can prevent it from the outset instead of having to find a treatment.

Regardless, I still really appreciate your suggestions I will try them (because I'd like to feel good in the meantime), but I'd really like to learn as to what the cause is...

Thanks!
Mike

#323947 - 02/04/08 12:17 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Well, this is my opinion - and please note it is JUST an opinion - but I have this happen to me too, and it's always after I've had particularly soft or liquidy BM's. I believe it is irritation caused by too much moisture on the skin in that... area. I believe it is basically a form of "diaper rash", if you will. Not on the cheeks, just... there. This is kind of embarrassing (then again, nothing is too embarrassing here!), but I have found in the past that Zincofax - which is a diaper rash product - actually helps. I haven't tried in a long time because, to be honest, I kind of forgot that I used to use it.

If this IS the case, then nothing can really prevent it, per se, other than preventing the D in the first place.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324046 - 02/05/08 01:12 PM
msoultan

Well, here's the deal - it seems that certain foods don't seem problematic, and those are the ones I'm trying to figure out. It would seem like food has a tendency to move too fast through my system, so what kinds of foods would slow things down a bit?

#326374 - 03/10/08 11:06 AM
msoultan

So, it seems that fruit might have been part of the culprit. I temporarily cut it out my diet and food has been moving a lot more slowly through my system. So, how do I add fruit back in in such a way that it doesn't have a drastic effect on my digestion? Maybe eat it with other foods?

Thanks!
Mike

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2353 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1350

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review