All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cholestyramine..anyone take it or taken it? And a few other things. new
      #323886 - 02/03/08 07:28 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I posted here a few weeks ago because I was worried that my symptoms were getting worse. I went to see my GI and he wanted me to go on Lotronex. I was willing to try it, get this, after suggesting it, in the next breath he says he isn't signed up for the rx program and didn't want to get signed up for it. Great. Lots of help.

So, I was referred to yet another GI. I went to him thinking he was going to give me the rx for Lotronex since that's what my previous GI insinuated. As you can imagine, I was really surprised when I got in there and found myself talking to a doctor who actually knew something about IBS! This new GI's speciality is diarrhea predominant bowel disorders. He immediately latched onto the fact that my other doctor had diagnosed me with IBS after only a colonoscopy and a blood test. So, the new GI proceeds to order lots of other tests: a blood panel, x-rays of my intestines to check for stool patterns and a stool sample to test for bacteria, parasites and other nasties. The best (totally sarcastic) test is that I also get to poop in a bucket for 48 hours next weekend. The doctor wants to weigh my stool output and do a fecal fat test.

So, I'm a bit upset now that I'm back to square one and according to my new doctor, should not settle on an IBS diagnosis yet, even though that is what I have settled on for the last 5 years. However, I am hopeful now that I have a doctor who seems to really know what he's doing!

One question though...he wants me to try cholestyramine. I guess its brand name is Questran? They give it to people who have had their gallbladders taken out. Apparently, it is supposed to bind my stool and help with the D.

Just wondering if anyone else here has taken it or takes it for diarrhea and who has not had their gallbladder taken out? If so, does it cause gas or any other side effects? Does it help with urgency and pain by regulating the D?

thanks so much!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cholestyramine..anyone take it or taken it? And a few other things.
      #323899 - 02/04/08 05:26 AM
beezer00

Reged: 01/16/08

Hi,
I had my gall bladder removed last year, and my doctor put me on cholestyramine for a while. However, it unfortunately made me feel worse than dealing with diarrhea all day. It made me feel exactly as it suggests--binded. It made my stomach cramp up and I had to force myself to eat because I never felt hungry. My doctor said that it can affect people very differently that some people can handle it really well and others it just doesn't work. I was the latter. But, I've heard of people who it works well for. In fact, it does really help getting rid of the D, but unfortunately the side effects were not worth it for me.
I hope it works better for you!!

Re: Cholestyramine..anyone take it or taken it? And a few other things. new
      #323949 - 02/04/08 12:19 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

By "binded" do you mean you felt constipated? How much did you take? I am taking one scoop of the powder at night. So far, I am able to poop. More than once or twice a day still, but at least it's not liquid.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1925 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 709

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review