All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Birth control pill!!!
      #323824 - 02/02/08 02:37 PM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hey, haven't been on for a while for a number of reasons. But i have a question that's been botherng me.
Apparently almost all birth control pills are 99.5% lactose! So, where does that leave us IBS people? I'm yet to be stable so i'm wondering if this is why? Maybe it's the case for others as well? Any thoughts? Maybe Heather can shed some light on this...

Thanks

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Birth control pill!!! new
      #323845 - 02/02/08 06:59 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

BC pills can cause an overgrowth of fungus/yeast. Perhaps that may be a reason why some people taking them have IBS symptoms...it is really a fungal overgrowth which leads to bowel problems, among other things.

#323850 - 02/02/08 11:23 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

It's not a significant amount to mess with your digestion or affect your IBS. I'm lactose intolerant, in addition to having IBS, and I've been on the pill for years without it making my IBS worse. It actually helps my IBS. It could be the type of pill you're on, the hormones, that's aggravating your symptoms.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (02/02/08 11:24 PM)

#323853 - 02/03/08 08:23 AM
kim123

Check to see if your pills contain progesterone as it stimulates yeast overgrowth. Yeast overgrowth and IBS symptoms can go hand in hand.

Depo Provera new
      #323859 - 02/03/08 01:34 PM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

I am sick of the birth control pill. I have tried a couple different ones in the past 3 or so years. I'm going to try the SHOT next... Anyone have any experiences with the shot that they'd like to share? I think the pill has made me more "yeasty" AND my libido is practically non-existent.

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

Yeast infection & IBS new
      #323871 - 02/03/08 03:41 PM
lalala

I've never had a yeast overgrowth or any type of fungal infection and I have been IBS-stable for about two years now.

(Or was that comment for the original poster? )

Also, if you have a yeast overgrowth, wouldn't that mean you have that and not IBS? You were possibly misdiagnosed. According to the info and studies posted by Heather, "Yeast has NOT been implicated in Irritable Bowel Syndrome." IBS is a functional disorder, which means no organic cause can be found. See Brain-Gut Dysfunction Unless you're just saying that a yeast infection/overgrowth can cause symptoms similar to IBS but that a yeast infection doesn't = IBS?

Edited by Maria!Maria! (02/03/08 03:54 PM)

Re: Yeast infection & IBS new
      #323872 - 02/03/08 04:11 PM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

I have IBS as well as the occasional yeast problem. I wasn't trying to imply that my IBS symptoms are caused by yeast. It's just a *side* problem that is a bit annoying.

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

#323877 - 02/03/08 05:10 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I stayed away from the pill - too many side effects, didn't matter which kind I was on. I've got a Mirena iud - it lasts 5 years and has progesterone in it - so no periods, period! Yes, I'm a happy camper with it!! I just wish my OBGYN hadn't died in December two weeks before I was to see him. Now I'm waiting until July to see someone new

Good luck, whichever route you choose!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#323879 - 02/03/08 06:00 PM
kim123

Well, candida/yeast overgrowth can cause bloating, constipation, diarrhea, heartburn, all of which are IBS symptoms. I have read many experiences of people who went on an antifungal/yeast cleanse diet and mysteriously their IBS symptoms decreased or went away. Did they really have IBS after all? As current studies are starting to indicate, that probiotics are becoming a factor in helping IBS patients, then I'm thinking that for some people, there could be a yeast issue there somewhere. I know for me I have to eliminate the yeast feeding foods (grains, sugar, other yeast containing foods)from time to time to get my system back on track.

#324437 - 02/10/08 01:10 PM
escargot905

Reged: 02/10/08

I have candida and it's not improving I even had a high colonic to flush out the yeast followed by Genestra HMF high strength acidophilous and other Candida treatments from the Health Food Store. I retained 10 pounds of water after till the next day which makes me think I have an atonic section in my bowel.As soon as I have any carbs I blow up. Even plain yogurt makes me bloat and lately I've been getting abd pain and burping.All the biobest etc type yogurts contain sugar so I can't take them. My gallbladder was removed about 10 years ago and it never caused me any problems.I also have IBS with constipation. Metamucil doesn't help with it at all.My poops are like marbles-hard.I'm at a loss for what to do.

#324448 - 02/10/08 06:42 PM
kim123

Are you eliminating ALL yeast/fungus foods? Carbs are feeding the fungus, which could explain the blowing up. (Doesn't yeast also make bread rise?) You have to starve it. www.knowthecause.com has more info on fungus... highlight "about us" heading at the top, then click "our FAQ's" for info on yeast/fungus and a diet to follow. It cleared me up. It could be systemic, which means you may need a prescription, say of Diflucan or Nystatin.

Re: Lactose new
      #324473 - 02/11/08 08:58 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I just looked up my birth control pill and it DOES contain lactose!!! I would hope that such a tiny little amount wouldn't be enough to bother us, but maybe it is? Maybe it's why I'm ALMSOT stable but just can't seem to become completely stable! Who knows?

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#324490 - 02/11/08 11:00 AM
lalala

No, it shouldn't bother us because it's an insignificant amount. I am lactose intolerant and IBS-D and it doesn't bother me.

#324563 - 02/12/08 11:53 AM
welshsarah

Yeah, i'm thinking of giving up on the pill because my IBS has been much worse since i've been on it. It's very annoying. I'm having a "i'm tired of IBS day"!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#324565 - 02/12/08 11:57 AM
Erilyn

I wonder about the BC pill too, whether it's the lactose or not. It's probably the hormones. I've been on them for 6 years and my IBS has steadily gotten worse over the last few years. I used to have periods of "remission" where my IBS seemed to just completely go away for months - even years - at a time. That just doesn't happen anymore, and hasn't for a long time.

But we want to start trying to conceive soon so I'll be going off them soon anyway!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

#324568 - 02/12/08 12:04 PM
welshsarah

That sounds great! Good luck

My husband and i considering starting a family later on in the year and i since i don't really mind accidents happening and getting pregnant now even though things aren't ideal i'm just thinking why bother taking the pill since it could be making my IBS worse...

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#324576 - 02/12/08 12:14 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I actually tried going off birth control for 4 months last year because I suspected it was making my IBS worse. During this period nothing really improved and I was so stressed about not knowing when my period will come (my cycle is not regular) that I went gladly back! I use the Nuvaring and I'm pretty happy with it. That way I don't have to ingest anything, I can remove it myself whenever I can, and it doesn't show or I don't worry about it accidentally coming off (I didn't get the patch for these two last reasons).

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#324582 - 02/12/08 12:27 PM
welshsarah

Ah, that's interesting. My cycle is irregular also so i'm wondering how being off the pill will work. I am worried that i'd be messing my body about my coming of it for a few months and then maybe going back on it.
I've never heard of Nuvaring. What is it exactly?

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#324584 - 02/12/08 12:41 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Nuvaring is a low dose birth control. It's a flexible plastic ring that you insert into your vagina and keep there for 3 weeks, then take it out for a week. During this off week you get your period and then insert a new one. You can learn more about it here.
You can't feel it when inserted properly. Some people worry about it falling out but mine never even came close to the opening. Plus, I think I'd notice if it fell out . I also asked my hubby if he can feel it at all and he said no. So it's perfect for everyone .

If you're worried about going off and back on BC messing up your system I would probably just go off, since you're planning to get pregnant later this year anyway. That way your body would have time to work out the cycle and hopefully everything would be working fine by the time you're ready to conceive. That's what I want to do in a few years, when hubby and I are ready .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#324586 - 02/12/08 12:48 PM
welshsarah

That sounds like a good birth control method. I wonder if it's available in the UK? I'm wondering if i should continue on the pill until my IBS is stable as i really don't want to get pregnant with it being this bad at the mo. Such decisions!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re:Nuvaring new
      #324590 - 02/12/08 01:54 PM
Erilyn

I've heard of Nuvaring but it is not available in Canada yet, so it may not be available in the UK yet either.

I, too, have irregular periods when not on the pill. I wonder if this is typical with IBS? Then again, we always wonder if anything is connected to IBS, don't we? But back to the point, when I am not on the pill my period comes once every 30-36 days ("normal" of course is 28 days). I never knew what day it would start, which was annoying. My cramps also seemed worse, from what I can remember. But if it helps with the IBS, I'll gladly stay off them! I think I'm only going to take them for another 2-3 months.

--------------------

#324964 - 02/18/08 02:56 PM
escargot905

Reged: 02/10/08

I asked my MD for Diflucan and she said I've been doing too much cleansing????Just to eat small portions-she just doesn't get it. I have tried it and Nystatin before but unless I stick to meat,poultry, eggs and low carb veg all the time it (candida) comes back. I have eliminated all yeast/fungus foods.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 602 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3843

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review