All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
more acacia or less
      #323780 - 02/01/08 05:50 PM
Claudie

Reged: 12/29/07
Loc: Australia

I've been using all the guidelines for about 5 weeks now and on acacia for 3 weeks. I'm so much better and am limiting my lomotil and immodium to 1 tablet each morning most days. No D for 2 weeks which is fantastic. So I am really thrilled. My question is that I now have around 3-4 BM's per day - usually in the morning and one often after lunch. They are not as urgent as they used to be but are still more urgent than I would like (hence the lomotil and immodium). They are all like small pebbles. Apologies for the details. I also take 1 peppermint oil capsule on waking and 3 tablets of Caltrate through the day (was Caltrate with Vit D, just switched to Caltrate plus). I would like to go less often if possible and not be so 'pelletised'. At the moment I am only on 1 teaspoon of acacia in the morning and one in the evening which doesn't seem very much. If I up the acacia will I go even more often? I am a teacher and have very limited days to experiment (only Fri pm and Sat). I just wondered if anyone else has gone through this and has any advice to offer? I do want to end on a positive note - I feel much better than I have for years - not just physically but mentally as well and want to thank Heather and all the posters on this site who posts I have read. Thank you for your help and for your frankness, I really appreciate it.

--------------------
IBS D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: more acacia or less new
      #323783 - 02/01/08 06:43 PM
juno151

Reged: 01/29/08

have you tried cutting out the immodium? it might help if you take less immodium and more acacia but im just ordering mine so i cant really speak for it yet. i used to take 6 immodium per morning and now i take none and im a total wreck. and now if i take some i dont have a BM for 4-5 days so i hope it works for me >.<

#323792 - 02/01/08 11:04 PM
Claudie

I have cut down my immodium and lomotil from 8 tablets of each - just to get through the morning. I have tried cutting it out completely but then I can have an attack when out and no loo is in sight. 1 of each 3 hours before I go anywhere gives me some reassurance and I still go every day. I want to do something about the amount I go and its consistency and I hope changing the acacia dose will help.

--------------------
IBS D

#323820 - 02/02/08 02:16 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

That's so great you are feeling better already! I would try upping your dose just a little, maybe 1/4 - 1/2 tsp, for a bit and see how that goes.

#323827 - 02/02/08 03:26 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

I think increasing the dosage of the Acacia will help with both the urgency and the amount of BM's. You sound a lot like me...I go a lot, not necessarily D and rely on Immodium or Lomotil if I'm going out. (mornings are the worst for me) I take 1 tsp before I go to bed, 2 tsp in the morning upon awakening. This has really helped me a lot. I hope it helps you. Try it on a day when you don't have to go out somewhere and see how it feels. Let me know!
Sandy

#323839 - 02/02/08 06:19 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I would suggest spreading out your acacia doses more throughout the day. Now that you are consistent with taking it AM and PM, try adding some in the afternoon too to keep you stable. Also, be careful with calcium citrate...you can do a search for calcium and there are TONS of discussions here about the different kinds. Generally speaking (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), calcium carbonate is better for d, calcium citrate and magnesium are better for c. Glad to hear that you're feeling better overall.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Never mind my citrate comment...I just saw you're taking Caltrate (carbonate) n/t new
      #323841 - 02/02/08 06:23 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#323851 - 02/03/08 01:15 AM
Claudie

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try the suggestions, a little more acacia more often and increase very slowly. I will take a little extra acacia tonight before I go to bed. By the way, I am switching back from Caltrate plus to Caltrate with vit D, Caltrate plus had me going to the loo about 7 times a day. Interesting how it could make such a difference - must be the magnesium it contains.

--------------------
IBS D

#324009 - 02/05/08 07:48 AM
Donnajv

Reged: 10/26/07

I'm not trying to be negative here, but I think it's important for people to know that the acacia powder is not for everyone. I was using it, was being very strict about following the dosage instructions, etc. and following the diet and keeping away from trigger foods, and the acacia powder triggered a two week attack that was worse than any previous. I stopped taking the acacia, the symptoms subsided, so I thought I would try it again, same problem. I have now stopped using the acacia powder and am taking Greens instead and am having far better results. I do, however, love the fennel tea and peppermint capsules.

One question I have is that the recipe book that I ordered from this site has garlic in so many of the recipes. Is garlic not a major trigger food? I'm finding some things quite confusing and contradictory almost. I've been consulting with a nutritionist who is very well informed on this disease and it's been very helpful as well.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2618 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2998

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review