All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
So who else is losing weight on this diet?
      #323724 - 02/01/08 12:02 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

When I started back in November I weighed 149 lbs (I'm 5'4"). I weighed myself this morning and I'm 137.5 lbs! No wonder all my clothes are hanging off me!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: So who else is losing weight on this diet? new
      #323726 - 02/01/08 12:15 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Not me, I pretty much manage to eat a lot of anything when it comes to it, lol

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#323729 - 02/01/08 12:43 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

me too....I have lost 40lbs as begining of January for a follow visit with my Gastro. I am down 4 dress sizes.. its a miracle for me since I had tried everything before. I really think for me it was a lot of backed up imflamation. And I sure needed it from weight gain of the AD. So wahoo to heathers diet!!

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#323777 - 02/01/08 04:36 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

While I didn't lose weight specifically because of the diet, I am keeping off the lbs with it. In high school I weighed in around 120lbs. In university I was a moose - 182lbs on a 5'1" body. I lost 20-25 lbs of that 6-7 years ago. In 2006 I had a really bad flare and my ibs was out of control again. I dropped to 118 lbs in 3-4 months. Then, after my wedding June 06 I just floated for a while trying to get stable again. I'm now 109 lbs. Watching my fat intake and destressing have been my biggest keys to stability again. I'm feeling really good now despite being 16lbs underweight according to my GI. I do have trouble buying clothes though - in a small city there's not a lot of variety and not a lot of small sizing.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#323805 - 02/02/08 10:20 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I lost 12 pounds when I started but have since gained it all back and find it very hard to lose now.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Being underweight new
      #324379 - 02/09/08 09:31 AM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

Weight loss for me is actually a problem - when my IBS developed about 4 years ago, I was quite underweight (first term at university and not feeding myself enough!). Since then I have been on Heather's diet and have found it virtually impossible to gain the weight back. I am about 5 foot 7, 8 1/4 stone. High-fat foods are obviously off the menu, and I can't handle anything but the smallest portions, even if the food is digestion-friendly. I think Heather advises eating lots of safe snacks and sweet things - I do try (I almost always have a packet of gingernut biscuits at my side!), but it can be a bit awkward to keep snacking when you are at work.
Whilst it's nice to be thin, I know that this isn't the way my body's meant to be and am slightly concerned about the long term health implications. If anyone has any tips on gaining weight, I'd appreciate them! Perhaps I just need to make more of an effort with this.

Re: Being underweight new
      #324388 - 02/09/08 11:20 AM
Kimberley321

Reged: 01/21/08
Loc: London, UK

I have the same weight loss problem as you Charlotte. I found the symptoms so distressing i would skip meals if i had something important to do the next day. When i cut out dairy 15 years ago i lost a lot of weight but then when i cut out wheat 4 years ago i became underweight. Now i am following the diet I cannot seem to put on any weight. My nurse told me to eat lots of chocolate but somehow I don't think the resulting D attacks are going to help! I've gone back to eating wheat and am stuffing my face with french bread between meals, eating porridge as well as rice krispies and i even managed to lose a pound! I'm going to continue eating safe snacks between lots of small meals and hope this works.

People are starting to comment on how i am always eating and it's not fair that i stay skinny. I want to yell at them that they should try living with IBS but i don't want everyone to know.

Re: Being underweight new
      #324422 - 02/10/08 03:50 AM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

I can definitely relate to that - it's tricky to explain one's weight and eating habits to other people, because you don't necessarily want to broadcast your health problems to the world. It's not surprising the diet can lead to weight loss - there I am sitting down with my plate of plain pasta, peas and poached chicken, whilst my family tuck into a pasta bake full of milk and cheese! The difference in calories must be huge. I suspect things would be easier if I could really get stable and then I could increase my portion sizes a bit and incorporate some higher fat foods. At the moment, 'over-eating' can lead to so much discomfort. Like you Kimberley, I will keep making a concerted effort to eat snacks as often as possible. I also eat a lot of porridge and one thing I do is to sprinkle in some ground almonds to increase the fat/protein content. I also like to stir in some tahini, but maybe that's a bit weird!

Re: So who else is losing weight on this diet? I am! new
      #324465 - 02/11/08 07:15 AM
Doxiesam

Reged: 07/09/07
Loc: Oklahoma

I started following Heather's diet May 2007, after I spent 2 months with really bad D and pain. I discovered I was eating a diet too high in whole wheat, dairy, and fat for someone with IBS. I was trying to loose weight and eat a better diet. I lost 17 pounds before Heather's diet with exercising and eating what I thought was a healthy diet, even though I couldn't seem to stay out of the restroom. In May I started trying to eat safe foods for my IBS and thought I would regain the 17 pounds because of all the rice and white breads. To my surprise I lost 12 more pounds between May & August. I was still struggling with D as I wasn't following the diet all the way, I was still eating some dairy and foods high in fat. In August I decided to really put an effort into following Heather's diet to see if the D would stop. By October I had no more D, and my pain was improving. So I've continued with Heather's diet and I happy to report I no longer have D, and only have mild pain when I'm under a lot of stress at work. I have lost an additional 21 pounds since August. So that makes a total weight lose of 50 pounds with only the first 17 pounds lost before Heather's diet. I do cardio 6 days a week now and started in November doing strength training 3 times a week. So it was not diet alone, but a combination of diet and exercise that has made it possible for me to loose 50 pounds.

-Samantha

--------------------
IBS-D - Diagnosed August 2002 (No D since October 07!)
Pain (No pain since October 07!), Gas/Bloating (Better)
Mild Ulcerative Colitis - Diagnosed August 2007
Acid Reflux - Diagnosed 1997
Medicine: Acacia (24 grams), Prilosec [Reflux] (20mg), Lialda [UC](2.5mg).

#324511 - 02/11/08 03:56 PM
kristi123

Reged: 10/13/07

When I first started on the diet I lost 10 pounds, which I thought was great but other people were a little concerned because I'm about 5'6" and was 110 pounds...personally I thought it was nice..but now I've gained back all that and I'm 122 pounds because I snack so much! I would like to loose that weight but am having trouble...any suggestions?

--------------------
IBS-D

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 763 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2464

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review