All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Fish
      #323659 - 01/31/08 02:40 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Hey all! I am getting a bit sick of grilled chicken and I read that fish/seafood is ok to eat with IBS. So I am wondering if its any kind of fish? I am not much of a seafood eater, but when I was on my honeymoon I had Mahi Mahi and loved it, is that ok to eat? I was just going to cook it in a pan (no oil) with some teriyaki sauce and put it on a bun.
Thanks!

Stefanie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fish new
      #323666 - 01/31/08 04:05 PM
Fatso

Reged: 01/18/08
Loc: United States

Quote:

Hey all! I am getting a bit sick of grilled chicken and I read that fish/seafood is ok to eat with IBS. So I am wondering if its any kind of fish? I am not much of a seafood eater, but when I was on my honeymoon I had Mahi Mahi and loved it, is that ok to eat? I was just going to cook it in a pan (no oil) with some teriyaki sauce and put it on a bun.
Thanks!

Stefanie

I'd be careful around fish.
If it's not prepaid right, it will spoil, and even if it is, it could be contaminated with anything in the water that shouldn't be there.

As for what kind, you might wanna try grouper, just be careful of grouper substitutes.
They go bad right away.
Places like Hooters will have real grouper unless the menu specifies otherwise.

Don't eat any kind of salmon or blowfish.
I'd stay away from catfish as well.

#323672 - 01/31/08 04:15 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Mahi Mahi is TOTALLY FINE... as are others like halibut, salmon, etc.... I eat them ALL THE TIME..... I don't get sick or have attacks from them. Just no deep fried.... in a pan with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil is TOTALLY SAFE.

Try some of these... recipes from the Recipe Index

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#323673 - 01/31/08 04:18 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I agree, I eat tons of fish. I usually just throw some herbs on it, chuck it in the oven and bake. No oil required.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#323677 - 01/31/08 04:29 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

i just got done putting a new post in the recipes on a new fish dish..FYI for all you fish lovers..

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#323679 - 01/31/08 04:34 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I just had fish (a flounder) for dinner. I put spices on it and broil it in the oven. I also bake salmon on my George Foreman grill and it's so yummy!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#323690 - 01/31/08 06:13 PM
steffiejoy

Thanks guys for the fish advice. I will have to look at the recipe ideas, just getting sick of chicken cause its all I eat. Chicken and rice. My husband and I are having a superbowl party and I have lots of ideas on appetizers for everyone else to eat... just not me! So I think I will check out the recipes! Thanks again!

Stefanie

#323697 - 01/31/08 07:35 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

As long as it's not fried, fish is fine!

#323702 - 01/31/08 08:20 PM

Unregistered

Oh Honey, you've GOT to make yourself safe party foods! It's your OWN party!

#323709 - 02/01/08 10:30 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Fish and seafood is fine! As long it's it's not fried. Seafood is naturally very lean. I've been eating lots of salmon, the Highliner Healthy Bake Fish Fillets (about 1.5 grams of fat per serving, and it's even breaded!), shrimp or prawns, and this week I think I'm gonna buy some scallops at the grocery store. Yum!!!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Superbowl new
      #323731 - 02/01/08 12:49 PM
auntdebs318

Steff

I am having superbowl.. and making humus and pita chips. Fresh salsa with baked tostitos, and guacamole. But I will only have a small amount of guac since its fatty. Another idea is melting rice cheese block with salsa for a dip. You might need to go to wegmans or whole foods for that cheese though. have fun..

--------------------

Re: Superbowl new
      #323735 - 02/01/08 01:02 PM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

Grouper and Tilapia are both mild and less fish-y tasteing. Plus super good.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#323738 - 02/01/08 01:14 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Steph - I forgot, do you eat wheat or are you waiting for your test? If you do I would suggest pretzels - they're low fat or fat free and make good munchies. I eat them plain or dipped into salsa, mustard, hummus - whatever you can tolerate!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#323755 - 02/01/08 02:38 PM
steffiejoy

Thanks for your superbowl ideas! I can usually tolerate pretzels. My endoscopy for Celiac came back negative- he said I have a lot of inflammation in my esophugus and that I carry the antibodies and thats why my blood work for Celiacs was positive. Whatever that means! I am not sure about salsa though. I cant eat red sauce so it makes me nervous about salsa. But I can do dijon mustard, so I bet pretzels dipped in dijon mustard would be good! The pita chips: are those the ones you buy at the store? Ive seen those but it says they have oil in them. I cant do oil, so it makes me nervous. I bet though I can just buy my own pita bread and toast it! I do like hummus too, just havent been daring enough to try it. My food life... very boring! I am looking forward though to trying some salmon and yeah it would be nice to have food I can eat seeing as I am the one cooking everything for our friends!

Stef

Catfish new
      #323758 - 02/01/08 03:03 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I eat catfish once a week or more and never had a prolbem with it.. I buy the big bags at sams. We gril it in the summer so good! With fries Yum and now since its winter we bread it with panko and put it in the oven its just as good!
emmasmom
ibs-c

#323766 - 02/01/08 03:36 PM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

I have to have fish to break the chicken diet. My favorite is snapper cooked in a foil pouch with chopped mushrooms, tomatoes, cilantro and onions. I eat it with rice and it is wonderful. I got the idea from a Mexican restaurant nearby but theirs is a little spicy for me. I just use a little salt & pepper.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#323773 - 02/01/08 03:53 PM
auntdebs318

steff,

yes i make my own pita chips. bake on low 300 spray with pam and salt and pepper. Hummus has been fine for me. I was concerned too but it seems to be fine. I am big fan of this new brand of tomatoes Muir organics, Usually I would saty far away because of the heartburn. But since this brand is all natural it seems to be fine. Of course I dont eat half the bowl of salsa either ..LOL

mix some canned salmon with fat free mayo, tri color pasta, shredded carrots or whatever veggies you like. serve with french bread slices.

mix steamed spinach with tofutti cream cheese for a hot dip with baked ruffles chips.

try not to stress about it..just think outside the box..

you can mix any dip with tofutti sourcream or cream cheese to make it yummy.

let me know what your brainstorm is..??LOL

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 988 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3250

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review