All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
night pains
      #323579 - 01/30/08 05:04 PM
tiredofpain

Reged: 11/25/06

I have been having night pains- abdominal cramping that wakes me up in the middle of the night. The only thing that "stops" the pain is for me to get the heating pad and then I eventually can go back to sleep. I wake up the next morning very bloated and a little crampy. Anyone have any ideas what is causing this or how to fix it?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: night pains new
      #323581 - 01/30/08 05:10 PM
Mugsy

Reged: 01/30/08
Loc: Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Hello. I am having the same problem, but my pain does not go away. I started to have problems with IBS since last June. I had to go to the hospital on my birthday and was admitted over night. Not a great way to celebrate your birthday

Anyway, I know how you feel. My life has been a living hell. It not only takes it's toll on me, but also my wife. Our whole life has been changed. Missed quite some time from work, and I am on the verge of loosing my job. It is not a good feeling. I visit my doctor and he tells me to contin ue on my diet and keep taking the dicetel. Do not know how much more of this I can take. I hope you find a reson behind it, as I struggle too.

#323623 - 01/31/08 09:21 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Have you mentioned this to your doctor? Night pains are not usually typical of IBS, and could mean you have Crohn's or colitis instead. Hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#323627 - 01/31/08 10:00 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Do you guys take Acacia? I noticed taking my evening dosage right before bed helped a lot (with hot fennel tea). Some how the SFS helps calm the bloating. If this continues and doesnt stop I would get to GI ASAP as something else might be going on.. good luck

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#323633 - 01/31/08 10:37 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi, I would disagree that night pains are not typical of IBS. The pressure, pain and discomfort of gas trapped behind colon contractions either prevents me from going to sleep, or I wake up in the night and can't get back to sleep because of of it. This was my very first IBS symptom and after 10 years it's still the one that troubles me the most.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#323635 - 01/31/08 10:50 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Sorry, it's waking up to use the bathroom (for a BM) in the night that is not typical of IBS. I misread the question!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#323691 - 01/31/08 06:35 PM
tiredofpain

Reged: 11/25/06

I do take Acacia fiber. I don't get the night pains often, but lately I have had them twice in one week which is very unusual for me. My dad has Chron's disease, but that has been ruled out for me. I don't have any of those symptoms and I just wake up from pain, I don't have to go to the restroom. It does help me feel a little better knowing that I am not the only one experiencing these pains. I have set an appointment to see my doctor about it just to be sure it is not something I should be worried about.

#323752 - 02/01/08 02:33 PM
crazylizardlady

Reged: 07/11/07
Loc: NJ

i'm a bit confused here by some of the posts. i have IBS. i do not have colitis or crohns. i have the pains sometimes at night, which i think for the most part is gas pain. it will wake me up. i usually go to the bathroom, no BM at this time of night, usually never, unless i really had something bad to eat or came down with a virus. I usually pass some of the gas and then can manage to get back to bed. Is this typical for other IBS people on this site? it's usually when i had some dairy or something oily. i also have a problem with acidity , so i sometimes get the burning too.

katharine

--------------------
IBS/GERD/Lactose Intolerant

#323918 - 02/04/08 09:35 AM
annieb

Reged: 10/01/07

I've been having this problem now for about a year now. My doctor still thinks it's IB and stress related. However, when I start feeling the "pressure"/cramping feeling in the middle of the night, usually early A.M., I usually just have to urinate. Then usually when I finally really get up to go to work I feel that pressure (lower abdomen) again and usually feels better after I urinate and have a bowel movement. I'm usually pretty good during the day. Does anyone know if pressure from the colon/irritable bowel affects the bladder muscles as well? I had a cyscostomy with a bladder doc about a year&half ago and everyone seemed fine there. ALot also usually depends on how late I eat/drink at night. I've been trying not to do it too late but I normally am a later eater..I'm very frustrated tho as after I wake up that first time, I usually can't go back to a good sleep. Any thoughts??

#324029 - 02/05/08 11:10 AM
melinda413

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Findlay, OH

I just wanted to sympathize with you. I started having severe night pains about 2 years ago and that's what led to me being diagnosed with IBS. I had to go through all the other tests first, but then my Dr decided IBS was the culprit. The night pains I got were SEVERE. I have since decided they were from trapped gas under my ribs. When I would get them I would wake up and not be able to move from the intense pain. A couple of times I ended up vomiting purely from the pain. I would take some Vicodin or strong painkillers along those lines and eventually go to sleep. I also had to go to the ER from the severity.
Now I haven't had an attack like that since May. When Zelnorm, which was the drug that helped me soooo much, went off of the market I found this website. From there I started to follow the diet. I don't follow it exactly but by taking the info that works for me and applying it to my life i have found a good even place to be. If I have evan a twinge in my stomache befoer I go to bed I get out the heating pad and sleep with it. By doing that I believe I have prevented a couple of attacks. to me this is a HUGE success!

--------------------
Melinda
IBS-A but leans toward C mostly

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 179 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2978

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review