All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
mushrooms and fructose and allergies
      #323577 - 01/30/08 04:39 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

MY GI doc is having me go without mushrooms for 2 weeks. He says sometimes people have problems digesting the cells of mushrooms. It is fairly common. I eat a lot of mushrooms and I don't even want to go a week without them.

He did recommend an allergy test but said to remember it doesn't check for intolerances. Still it is good to be allergy tested by a reputable allergist. I asked about fructose malabsorption and he said it is extremely rare. A person on a normal diet with normal amounts of fruits and veggies will not have a problem with fructose. But large amounts of it in drinks can be a problem. I am glad because I wouldn't want to give up citrus.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: mushrooms and fructose and allergies new
      #323600 - 01/31/08 08:18 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

I asked about fructose malabsorption and he said it is extremely rare. A person on a normal diet with normal amounts of fruits and veggies will not have a problem with fructose.

Interesting. So do you think I, for one, may be restricting fructose just out of fear from the numerous posts on how others have FI? Or maybe his comment was strictly based on "normal" population and not those with IBS....which may have a higher rate?

I heard the same thing about mushrooms. I avoid them...but I too, love them. Good luck.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#323621 - 01/31/08 09:16 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I LOVE mushrooms but I think that sometimes I have problems with them. Portabello mushrooms in particular seem to give me pretty soft BMs. Too bad because I love grilling them on the BBQ and eating them on a bun like a burger!

Hmmm..... could have been the oil I put on them, though! And/or the cheese. I'm gonna have to try this one again!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Edited by Erilyn (01/31/08 09:18 AM)

#323628 - 01/31/08 10:04 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

this is sad news I too LOVE mushrooms and eat them a lot. I never thought they were or could be a problem. So far I have been lucky to not have a reaction that I know of from them. Well sorry the doc put you on Mushroom probation.. but maybe you will see a differnce..good luck!!

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#323808 - 02/02/08 10:29 AM
Little Minnie

My doctor definitely shrugged off any suggestion of fructose being a problem. He said it was very rare- meaning with digestive patients I think. Eating fruits and veggies with it would be just fine but drinking large amounts would bother someone. I know most doctors don't have the true facts of IBS but my GI doc has never said anything I felt was erroneous.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#324719 - 02/14/08 07:57 AM
Jordy

Thank you, LM!!! I have become so fearful of fructose with all these fructose postings.

How's the mushroom experiment going?

--------------------

uh new
      #324773 - 02/14/08 04:36 PM
Little Minnie

I went without mushrooms for 10 days. I had company and had to make something with them. I really doubt it is one food that gives me problems. I am better for streaks and worse for streaks especially winter and fall. I also didn't find any benefit from beano. I am still working on the probiotics and also have been eating less. The only thing that really makes me feel better is to be at home in jammies.

--------------------

Re: uh new
      #324901 - 02/17/08 07:49 PM
Jordy

Well, glad you get to keep your mushrooms.

What probiotic are you taking?

--------------------

probiotic new
      #324979 - 02/18/08 05:22 PM
Little Minnie

It is the Renew Life critical care formula. When it is gone I am going to switch to the one my doctor recommended that is proven to help IBS called VSL#3 I think. It costs a bit more.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2590 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1209

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review