All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Diet and Fiber worked, and then it didn't
      #323517 - 01/29/08 06:13 PM
GinaM

Reged: 01/29/08

I'm wondering if anyone has had the same situation that I'm having, and how you fixed it. I have IBS-D, have had it forever, but only got diagnosed with it in August. At that time, I started taking the Acacia fiber, followed the IBS diet religiously (no red meat, no eggs, no dairy, no caffeine, etc), and took Align. Since then, I haven't been bloated, the D attacks are gone, although I tend to be kind of constipated. When I used to eat bran and whole wheat food, I was very regular but I had D. Now the D is gone, but I'm not regular at all. Then in the last month, all of a sudden, I'm hugely bloated and have had IBS-D attacks weekly following a whole week of being constipated. But nothing I've done has changed- same diet, same medicine. Should I be putting some insoluble fiber into by diet along with the soluble fiber? Should I up the amount of fiber I'm taking? (I'm at 3 tsp per day split in 2 doses). I'm at a loss...I have no idea how to fix this...any ideas??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Diet and Fiber worked, and then it didn't new
      #323524 - 01/29/08 09:48 PM
juno151

Reged: 01/29/08

im kind of in the same boat. i was fine for the first few months and now i am awful again. i feel your pain. i would start back with basics like rice and re introduce things in, thats what i am trying now.

Re: Diet and Fiber worked, and then it didn't new
      #324358 - 02/08/08 02:49 PM
Liv1415

Reged: 06/21/07
Loc: Oregon

Hi,

I go through stages like that too. It's frustrating, that's for sure. I would say up your acacia intake gradually. I started out like you but then started upping it after my Dr. told me I should be getting 35-40 g of fiber a day. I take about 4 or 5 teaspoons a day. Also, when you get constipated, try peppermint tea and peppermint capsules. They really do work. It may take an hour or so, but you'll start to feel better. And do anything you can to relax a bit. I tend to get more constipated in the afternoon, so evenings I try to rest with tea/heating pad/hot bath when I can.....IF I can!

HTH!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1197 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 615

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review