All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
i really need advice
      #323502 - 01/29/08 01:05 PM
juno151

Reged: 01/29/08

hi i my name is duncan, i have had IBS with diarrhea for about 7 years. about a year ago i bought the eating for IBS book and quite smoking and started to take care of my body. before that i stayed in my home and hardly ever left it for about 4 years. so after i started the diet ( to the best of my ability and finances) i started to feel a lot better all the time and i started going to the bathroom regularly. i decided to get into college and the first 2 quarters i was fine. but the last 2 quarters (especially this one) are killing my stomach. im not anymore stressed then usual but (even following the diet perfectly) i am having attacks every few hours every day. i drink peppermint tea constantly and i have been taking things out of my diet and im down to pretty much just rice product out of fear. i dont know what to do and i have missed almost a week of class from it. if i dont get this taken care of soon i might fail some of my classes. please help with any advice you may have. (sometimes i do eat graham crackers, and pretzels, but even plain French bread sets me off and im starting to think i am allergic to wheat as well)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: i really need advice new
      #323503 - 01/29/08 01:08 PM
juno151

Reged: 01/29/08

i forgot to mention im also resorting to imodium and enemas ( to flush me out of everything so i dont have to worry about it) but even when i dont do either im still having attacks. but even just 1 imodium makes me not poop for about 3 days. my attacks seem worse in the mornings after i get up. i have also been getting up 3 hours before class to try and use the restroom as much as i can before my ride shows up. but its still usually not enough.

#325980 - 03/04/08 08:11 AM
Atrox

Reged: 03/04/08
Loc: Florida

So sorry to hear about what has been going on, especially since you seemed to have gotten everything under control for so long.

I am not going to be too much help, since I am new to controlling this condition, but I have been suffering for 15+ years while getting 3 degrees (bs, ms, phd), so I know the stress (IBS-D while doing 4 years of work in the woods = fun). What I did recently (no one believed me before recently) was make sure to rule out all other conditions- had the colonoscopy and all the other tests. Then, my doctor gave me 2 really good meds to help get me though- the first is Welchol (cholesterol drug taken 1x daily to dry you out a bit- broad control of D without going into constipation for days- I had no side effects) and the other is Hyoscyamine sulfate (dissolves under tongue every 6 hrs as needed, very inexpensive ($4/mo), calms gut and stops D for a good bit without the 3 day constipation of Amod, although sometimes a 1-2 day lighter constipation).

I don't feel these are long term fixes, but when you are unable to take the time to take care of your self as I was when finishing up my doctoral work, you sometimes need a good short-term solution. Now, even though I am just as busy, I am working to get my stress under control, exercise again, and eat this new diet I just found.

Good luck to you!

--------------------
--------------------
IBS-D with stress related bouts of C, 10+? years.

#326056 - 03/04/08 03:23 PM
steve333

Reged: 08/01/04

Quote:

hi i my name is duncan, i have had IBS with diarrhea for about 7 years. about a year ago i bought the eating for IBS book and quite smoking and started to take care of my body. before that i stayed in my home and hardly ever left it for about 4 years. so after i started the diet ( to the best of my ability and finances) i started to feel a lot better all the time and i started going to the bathroom regularly. i decided to get into college and the first 2 quarters i was fine. but the last 2 quarters (especially this one) are killing my stomach. im not anymore stressed then usual but (even following the diet perfectly) i am having attacks every few hours every day. i drink peppermint tea constantly and i have been taking things out of my diet and im down to pretty much just rice product out of fear. i dont know what to do and i have missed almost a week of class from it. if i dont get this taken care of soon i might fail some of my classes. please help with any advice you may have. (sometimes i do eat graham crackers, and pretzels, but even plain French bread sets me off and im starting to think i am allergic to wheat as well)

I recommend a probiotic from the health food store and pancreatic enzymes with each meal (french bread is not a meal!).

#326061 - 03/04/08 03:49 PM
Photofabix

Reged: 06/03/07
Loc: N Florida

Quote:

I recommend a probiotic from the health food store and pancreatic enzymes with each meal (french bread is not a meal!).

Those don't work for all, I been taking them for close to a year just switched brands about 2-3 weeks ago to Jarrow. I don't notice much improvement in my symptoms, but continue to take them. Heathers Tummy fiber seems to help more then anything.

I've been suffering from D about 2 years or a little over, I modified my diet, to no avail, and for the last couple weeks following a bland diet (cream of rice, I make my own sourdough bread, rice, poached chicken)

I don't leave my house, I can't work and I can't afford doctors. The county offered to send me to a gastro who in turn only say me once, and did a colenoscopy, no follow up visits, just told me in recovery, and on the phone that he doesn't see anything of concern. I was sent to a regular MD did numerous blood works, pea tests, etc.. and they can't find nothing wrong with me. Blood pressure a little low, Cholesterol they said was actually low (the bad one) and the good one was spot on, no diabetes, nothing.

I've concluded my self that I have IBS, since there is no other cause for my D.

So my recommendation if all else has been ruled out, start on Heathes Tummy fiber. Cut everything out of your diet, go through your cupboards, throw ANYTHING away with hydrogenated oils, High Fructose corn syrup, no artificial sweeteners, no cotton seed oils, and anything that lists dairy. No whey, no casein , no lactose, those are quit a few of the hidden dairy's.

Also I'm not sure what your drinking but you'll want to make sure your drinking good quality of water as your main beverage. No coffee, no black tea, no SODA.

So what do you eat? Good question, I'm still working on my diet but what has helped me the most, in the mooring I take Fiber and my pro-biotic (that Im still a bit skeptical about) and I make cream of rice. For lunch I make Jasmine rice (with no fat), for dinner I poach chicken and have another serving of Jasmine Rice.

For snacks I have toast (with no butter!)

This diet is temporary till you can get stabilized, once you stabilize you can start trying to incorporate other things into your diet very slowly.

--------------------
IBS-D, Lactose Intolerant, latex allergy, MCS, Sun allergies, depression/anxiety, 156 pounds weight loss now (still dropping), cramping, rarely leave the house.

Edited by Photofabix (03/04/08 03:51 PM)

#326073 - 03/04/08 06:24 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

I highly recommend a good probiotic. I first tried Udo's Choice Super Bifido plus and had great success (It got me regular with no C or D, but it's expensive). My GI doc then gave me a 30 day supply of align, I was back to having horrible C and D. I'm now back on Udo's choice (day 10) haven't had an attack of C or D since. I've also been adding foods back into my diet (even ate raw carrots, cauliflower, celery 4 days ago) and haven't had a single attack!!!

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#326081 - 03/05/08 12:19 AM
Linith

Reged: 03/05/08

Say you're using immodium, eh? but get all stuffed up, this prolly isn't a good idea, but you can always try sticking w/ the immodium then when you wanna go, chug some forbiden stuff suck as coffee! heh,heh it always makes me go. But what gets me is I think you're problem comming back is due to going back to school. I have D problems myself, although I consider them very minor to most people, but I know all my problems came about when I had a REAllY stressful, horrible day at work. (never become a server by the way-it would do horrible things to you!)Anyways, As soon as I quit my job and moved onto something else less stressful it took care of more than half of my problems! They're still there, but drastically improved just by cutting back massively on my stress. So, I think after 4 years or however holed up in your house you started feeling better and went back to school. You may not think you're stressing from school, but you probably are. Not only that, but it started making you sick, so then you became even sicker beccause you're always worrring about school work and then if you'll make it through class! All that hard work to feel better and it all went down the drain. It's a vicious cycle. I suggest you take this to hart and try to make sure to not overload yourself. Don't take too many classes, and make sure to study at your leisure. do not procrastinate, instead do all things in a timely manner that is at a pace comfortable to you. Perhaps if you're willing, mention your ibs to your teacher, most will understand. You may be able to get extensions or extra help. At least you'll know that if you have to ditch class the teacher will understand that you're really not feeling weel all the time. Try some relaxing stuff heather reccomends like yoga, reading, or those hypno therapy tapes, it might really help!

#326084 - 03/05/08 03:40 AM
Aoife

Reged: 03/04/08

Dear Juno, I feel for u. I first want to say that you have got to get yourself to a doctor and demand that you get pain relief . Have you been diagnosed with IBS cos it may well be something else including an intolerance. If it is ibs then you must know that any advice given may not suit you personally and so should not be taken as fact, I cannot tolerate peppermint for example even though it advertised here. I take Difene supositories for my pain so that I can go about my day. You have to see your doctor or you will suffer from depression and you will become worse. If your doctor seems not to care see another one. Explore alternitive medicine aswell. hope i cud help.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 785 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2426

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review