All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Help! I am miserable, Senna was the only thing that worked and now it stopped working! new
      #323548 - 01/30/08 09:12 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I think brown rice actually constipates me. At first I thought it was just white....but now I suspect brown too. Maybe you should try cutting back on it and eating alternative "grains".....quinoa, millet, potatoes.

I have to also recommend Natural Calm magnesium. It has been the best thing I have found for constipation. Better than Miralax because I don't get the incomplete BMs. I take 3 tsp every night before bed. If I skip or reduce a dose, I almost can guarantee you I won't have a BM the next day.

Good luck.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help! I am miserable, Senna was the only thing that worked and now it stopped working! new
      #323559 - 01/30/08 01:29 PM
Caramello

Reged: 09/03/07

Weaning yourself off laxatives is extremely challenging. I and others I know from clinics have had to do it as a consequence of eating disorders. If you are panicking, you will find it very difficult to be patient and allow your body to normalize itself. A dozen suggestions from different people with all sorts of different experiences/IBS symptoms/trigger foods etc. about what foods to avoid, what supplements to try, etc., may not be helpful right now because you are so totally focused on this, and in that state, people often chop and change in desperation when results are not immediate. My advice would be to see a trained dietician, be honest about your dependence on lax and wean yourself under professional medical supervision.

Good luck.

--------------------
Carmen, IBS-A

#324985 - 02/18/08 06:30 PM
LS23

Reged: 01/29/08

Ok... It's been awhile since i posted but i wanted to update that im slowly trying to ween off the Senna. I am now down from 5 to 4 a night (I know its not a lot but my doctor said to take it slow and the fact that 4 is working when 5 seemed to be the only way is a good sign)... I also purchased Natural Calm the other day and am going to try it starting this week...however i am afraid it wont work for me if i just stop the senna and start the natural calm so i think i may have to incorporate the natural calm into my current dose of senna and then keep gradually tapering off. Any thoughts? Does anyone think just taking the natural calm after ive been on senna for about a year will work? Or should i try both at once for now? Considering nothing but the senna has worked, im hesitant to now go from 4 senna pills to just the natural calm right away without any buffer. Thanks for all your help!

#324993 - 02/18/08 09:11 PM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

Sounds like you have a good plan---just start adding the Natural Calm gradually while you're weaning yourself off the senna.

NC really helped me get regular.

Calli

#326250 - 03/07/08 07:45 AM
LS23

Reged: 01/29/08

Can anyone who takes natural calm tell me how much they take? like do you do just 1tsp a day or all 3tsp to get regular? It seems to make my stools very loose as i am weening off the senna, but i cant tell if its the natural calm or the senna. My guess is its the natural calm since the senna really doesnt work for me anymore...but im just curious when i finally stop the senna alltogether, how much do you have to take to make it work for you?

Re: Listen to ME new
      #326251 - 03/07/08 08:03 AM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

i had the same problem and I ultimately discovered that i had food allergies. I still have issues, but am at least going to the bathroom everyday. Go find a doctor who will give u a blood test for food allergies (scratch is BS). Also, cut out dairy, soy and maybe gluten and see how u respond- trust me there is not reason to suffer anymore

#326275 - 03/07/08 04:34 PM
Linith

Reged: 03/05/08

Try some coffee! always makes me go

#326279 - 03/07/08 06:52 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Quote:

Try some coffee! always makes me go

That is actually a very bad idea. Heather strongly advises against it, as do most of the folks on this board. Coffee is a powerful GI irritant and is not good for us, period. The point is to calm your gut, whether you are C or D, and coffee is not the way to do it.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 986 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22870

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review