All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fluoroscopy test question
      #323401 - 01/28/08 10:21 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

So I had a fluoroscopy test done today. The worst part was drinking the barium solution, yuck! The test took very long because the solution wasn't moving down. Finally after two hours they gave me a glass of water and told me to walk around and then it finally started moving along.
So, my question is, does the fact that the solution wasn't moving indicate a possible problem? I'm going back to my doctor for follow-up but I figured someone else might know something about this.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fluoroscopy test question new
      #323408 - 01/28/08 11:09 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

I don't think so. I am IBS-D and when I had mine done the barium had gone through by the time I got to the hospital for the test. The technician was very surprised. She told me it usually took a while with most people. She even ask if I had IBS. Since you are IBS-C it makes sense that everything moves slower.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Re: Barbara new
      #323414 - 01/28/08 11:59 AM
Zara

Barbara, you drank the barium solution before you went to have the test done? Are we talking about the same test? Because what they did with me was they took the x-ray before I drank it, right after I drank it, and in 20-30 minute increments. I wasn't allowed to leave the site. So, I'm wondering, how did they take the initial x-ray if you drank it at home (unless I misunderstood you)?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Barbara new
      #323565 - 01/30/08 03:08 PM
Barbara50

Thought I'd already replied to this post. Me and computers stay at odds I'm afraid. They already had an xray before (taken the day before). I was instructed to drink the barium 2 hours before the test and then go to the hospital. Test was at 7:30 a.m. and I needed to be somewhere by mid morning. Anyway the barium went through me in about 45 minutes. I didn't make it 3 miles from home before I had to stop at a fast food bathroom. The technician checked me first thing to make sure the barium was through and told me most of her patients had to drink water and wait up to two hours before it came through.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Re: Thanks! new
      #323569 - 01/30/08 04:07 PM
Zara

Oh, ok. That makes me feel better because I thought something was wrong since it just wasn't moving through. I'm also having and CAT scan tomorrow and they also said that if I wanted to, I could just pick up the solution and drink it at home instead. I was supposed to do water prep but I guess my GI must really hate me since he wants me to drink barium twice a week, lol!
By the way, it took me 48 hours for the barium to go through me so I'm really jealous about your 45 minutes . But, I know, be careful what you wish for, right?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Thanks! new
      #323604 - 01/31/08 08:21 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Barium is tastes nasty!!!!!!! I was pooping white stools for a few days afterwards.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Uggh! new
      #323606 - 01/31/08 08:34 AM
Zara

Yes it does. I also learned today that the thin barium used for CAT is not as nasty as the thick one used for fluoroscopy.

But I'm pretty upset. I got to the location this morning (after drinking all my barium for today's CAT scan). They took the first scan and told me they couldn't do it! Apparently the not-so-bright person who scheduled me and knew I needed both CAT and fluoroscopy didn't realize that I can't do the CAT only two days after fluo! Since the first barium is so thick it's still in my system and it needs to be flushed out completely before the thin CAT barium can be ingested. Uggh, now I have to do it all over again next Thursday. Plus, it makes me really gassy and farty - what a pleasant side effect for someone who suffers with IBS in the first place!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Uggh! new
      #323632 - 01/31/08 10:35 AM
Barbara50

That is simply unacceptable. I know they can't help it now but it is criminal for you to have to go through this 3 times in a month!!!! I had the fluroscope done first and then about 2 months later I had the CT Scan. I agree about the prep--CT Scan is not as bad although it is still no picnic. I had a colonoscopy in between the two tests so I had to drink that nasty stuff too. Hint on the barium--put it in the back of the fridge--get it really cold--put it into a water bottle with a funnel and then you can't smell it when you drink it and it goes down faster--at least it did for me. Good luck to you.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1700 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2990

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review