All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS vs. Diverticulitis
      #323244 - 01/26/08 01:43 PM
jana67

Reged: 01/26/08

One other thing I forgot to ask, how do symptoms between IBS and diverticulitis differ? In 1996, I had an upper endoscopy and was told by the gastroenterologist that I probably have IBS.

Now, I'm told by my primary care dr. that it could be diverticulitis because my worst pain is left-lower-pelvic/abdominal pain. I've read on this web site that the diet is the same for IBS and diverticular disease.

Does anyone know the symptoms that differentiate between the two? Or, can you have both IBS and diverticulitis? I've strongly felt all these years I have had IBS because I have all of the symptoms.

Thanks,
Jana

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS vs. Diverticulitis new
      #323249 - 01/26/08 02:27 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

I don't know anymore... Before I found out I had IBS, doctors told me the most terrible things: I had something going on with my lungs, or I had appendicitis, or ovarian cyst. Until a friend of mine suggested it was IBS. As soon as I found this website and changed my diet completely, I am better again and happy to be alive. I am sorry; I didn't answer your question.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#323250 - 01/26/08 02:42 PM
jana67

Reged: 01/26/08

Well, I am happy for you that changing your diet has helped!

Appendicitis, ovarian cyst, and ectopic pregnancy have been suggested to me in the past as well.

#323337 - 01/27/08 03:24 PM
ArtKen

Reged: 07/12/03
Loc: Brantford, Ontario, Canada

Pain on th left side is usually a good sign that you have diverticulosis. Chances are that like a number of us including myself you probably have both IBS and diverticulosis.

You would need a colonoscopy to actually verify it.

#323362 - 01/27/08 05:32 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I have IBS-D and Diverticulitis. I know all my pains are IBS/Diverticulitis related because I no longer have an appendix (had to have it removed 2 years ago) and I no longer have the possibility of ovarian cysts, etc. (had to have a total hysterectomy 1 1/2 years ago). It basically sucks having both diverticulitis and IBS-D.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3236 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1331

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review