All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Getting started
      #323215 - 01/26/08 07:05 AM
greg K

Reged: 01/26/08

I just discovered this web site. My friend suffers from IBS and I had absolutely NO idea how difficult this illness is. She feels totally overwhelmed with the information I've given her from the FAQ's she wants to try but wants to start slowly. Would someone give us some advice as to how she can ease into this EIBS for the best short term results? She is IBS-D,we just figured out she does all the wrong things, coffee, alcohol, fruits, whole wheat, insoluble fiber not to much fats or red meats. Of course the Doc's have said take this, it's all in your head. In the year I've known her we have been out to eat only once and now I know why. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Getting started new
      #323216 - 01/26/08 07:11 AM
jenUK

Reged: 12/01/07
Loc: warwickshire, uk

does your friend feel that maybe she could come on these boards ? i think she would get so much help from them - i also am an ibs-d sufferer - i followed this diet for a few years back in 2003 and was so much better however i slipped off it when i thought everything was ok and now im in aright state hense coming back on these boards - i have brought the books and they are like my bibles !! I dont have the answers as i think everyone is dif from everyone else however i know what your friend goes through - i am asignle parent and i never go out to eat so even if she jsut needs someone who understands - cnact me i have msn also or just an email from someone who understands - i too have heard the "its all in your head" and get up n get on with it its only ibs (really bugs me that one) like i said am here if she wants to chat xx
Jen

--------------------
Ibs sufferer for 7 years !

#323218 - 01/26/08 07:20 AM
greg K

Thanks jen! I would love to get her on the boards, the problem is that she doesn't even know how to turn on a computer but now that I've found this for her she wants me to teach her so I will. The first thing she did this morning was to fix a cup of coffee and read the IBS info I got her. Her stomach began to hurt as it has forever. She is going to switch to peppermint tea tomorrow. The goal is to ease her into the program so she can see some success. Thanks for the response and I will be in touch. Greg

#323223 - 01/26/08 09:17 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi there! Just thought I'd put my opinions out there. For me, the easiest way to ease into the diet is to think of everything in terms of substitutes. Such as the coffee your friend is drinking, switching to tea is a great step. All milk can be switched to soy or rice milk. They even have soy and rice cheese. Fresh baked french or sourdough breads are a staple for many of us. Also, eating small meals frequently can really help stablize the belly. It's overwhelming at first looking at the amount of change needed, but even the smallest steps can help alleviate some pain...which leads to finding more substitutions to make life easier. One note about soy products--they can cause a bit of bloating, so when first starting this diet, I believe rice milk and rice based substitutes can be easier.
One thing that could help: Make a food diary. If she cannot get online, maybe you could post this for us to see. A lot of us have been doing this diet for so long now that we can read the food diary and make extra suggestions about what to change. The goal is to find things you like and experiment until you get stable. It's a long road, but believe me, it sure does get better! Let your friend know we are all here to help!

--------------------
IBS-A

#323225 - 01/26/08 09:47 AM
greg K

Thanks, I can tell that this forum is a very supportive, caring group. Knowing that is a big comfort. I'll post as I can and will get her started with baby steps. Thanks again.

#323233 - 01/26/08 11:21 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

See if your friend can get The First Year: IBS by Heather van Vorous. It's the same info as on the site, but it takes you day-by-day and month-by-month on how to manage and cope with IBS and how to take those first steps.

The boards are a great place to get support, but can be confusing for newbies if they don't have a good understanding of Heather's guidelines and IBS.

Best of luck to your friend. She's lucky to have someone like you to help her out!

Edited by Maria!Maria! (01/26/08 11:22 AM)

#323234 - 01/26/08 11:37 AM
CMBickel

Reged: 04/25/03
Loc: Sandy, UT

Hi Greg ~ I've had IBS-D for about 15 years and I never thought I would be "normal" again until I read "Eating for IBS" and also listened to the hypnosis tapes "IBS Audio Program 100" (which are rather expensive) but oh my gosh, are they superb! Your friend has to know her own body and these two suggestions are absolutely terrific! I am able to dine out (watching what I eat) and travel (also watching what I eat). There is a light at the end of the tunnel! Good luck.....CMB

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1796 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1497

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review