All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Probiotics - which strain is best?
      #322986 - 01/23/08 06:11 AM
pixiegoddess

Reged: 01/18/07

There are different strains of probiotics out there and I was wondering if anyone had any info or ideas on which one was best for IBS. I realize that it may be a trial and error thing as everybody may react differently, but if anyone has had experience or info on this please advise. There are probiotics that contain just one strain and then others that have a combination of strains. Thanks in advance for your input!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotics - which strain is best? new
      #322987 - 01/23/08 06:23 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

See this message

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#322989 - 01/23/08 06:45 AM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

I have read the more strains it fights the better. The one that I just started on has 16 strains and has about 16 billion active cells. There are a lot out in the market to pick from. You should make sure it has an enteric - coating to ensure stomach acid survival and intestinal delivery to your small and large intestine though. Good luck!

#322990 - 01/23/08 06:49 AM
Syl

There is no evidence to support the idea that more strains are better. Align has been shown to be the most effective in managing IBS and it contains only one strain. See this message. None of the probiotics that have been tested in IBS clinical trails were enteric coated. In some trials they are administered in a milk drink - go figure

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#322991 - 01/23/08 07:32 AM

Unregistered

Syl, have you tried the Align yet? If not, do you use a Probiotic?

#322992 - 01/23/08 07:47 AM
Syl

Interesting you should ask. Align is not available in Canada. AND it cannot be shipped to Canada from the US. The order desk tells me it should be available here in another couple of months.

A few years ago I tried Acidophilus. It had no effect. In fact some acidophilus preparations contained other ingredients that made things worse. Oh well.

--------------------

#322995 - 01/23/08 08:28 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Quote:

Interesting you should ask. Align is not available in Canada. AND it cannot be shipped to Canada from the US. The order desk tells me it should be available here in another couple of months.

A few years ago I tried Acidophilus. It had no effect. In fact some acidophilus preparations contained other ingredients that made things worse. Oh well.

That's interesting. I have tried some probiotics too and found that they gave me problems. I wonder if Align would be okay? Think you could post here when it does become available in Canada?

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#323006 - 01/23/08 09:11 AM
Syl

Other than the probiotic Bifidobacterium infantis it contains small amounts of microcystalline cellulose, hydroxypropylmethylcellulose capsule USP grade, magnesium stearate, sugar, sodium caseinate, sodium citrate dihydrate, propyl gallate, FD&C blue #2. It looks okay but I will have to give it a try before I know for sure. I know some people will stay away from it because it contains a small amount of sodium caseinate - skim milk derivative. I have never found small amounts to cause me any problems.

When I hear that Align is available in Canada I will post a note.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5876 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1396

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review