All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
probiotics?
      #322925 - 01/22/08 10:32 AM
Carolynjoy1228

Reged: 04/12/07

Any advice on which probiotic I should buy and where I should buy it? I don't like the taste of soy or rice yogurt, so I need a pill form. Any advice?

Carolyn

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: probiotics? new
      #322937 - 01/22/08 11:32 AM
KathyR

Reged: 01/10/08

Hi. My doctor gave me some Digestive Advantage which is a Probiotic you can just buy over the counter. He gave me two weeks worth of free samples. I had to stop using them. I was getting very bloated with very urgent diarriah where I didn't even make it to the restroom in time. This was worse than I've been in a long time. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem with this product. I'd be curious to know. Perhaps someone else can give us both some advice. Take care.

#322938 - 01/22/08 11:35 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I haven't tried that particular product, but I have bad luck with probiotics too. They make me very gassy and give me that "D feeling". Some people swear by them, though.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#322942 - 01/22/08 11:56 AM
KathyR

Quote:

I haven't tried that particular product, but I have bad luck with probiotics too. They make me very gassy and give me that "D feeling". Some people swear by them, though.

OK, thanks. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only or that it was something else I ate. I'm sure it was the Digestive Advantage.

#322960 - 01/22/08 03:44 PM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I'm not positive about that product in particular, but I know that other Digestive Advantage products marketed towards IBS actually have artificial sweeteners in them, which can cause a lot of problems, including D, gas, bloating, etc. So there's a very good chance it was something extra they put in the probiotic. Just my two cents

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#323047 - 01/23/08 04:19 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

I tried probiotics with FOS and had to stop for all the reasons you mentioned above. I now take Primadophilus Reuteri and feel great. I'm wondering if your tummy trouble when first starting the probiotics is because your bowels are getting back to normal, and the yeast overgrowth is dying off as the new good bacteria is introduced??? I think gas at the beginning of taking them the first time is normal.

FOS is rough stuff!-nt new
      #323078 - 01/24/08 06:57 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

I've been using VSL#3... new
      #323085 - 01/24/08 09:06 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

...for almost 3 weeks now and I have yet to see improvement. I have been very gassy and bloated but no D feeling (just C, like always). Could this be because of the probiotic? I thought it was just because of something I ate but now that I think about it...any thoughts, anybody? Please ?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: I've been using VSL#3... new
      #323095 - 01/24/08 09:41 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The VSL#3 FAQ it say "Bloating can occur during the first few days following the start of VSL#3 consumption. This is usually a transitory phenomenon due to the changing intestinal microflora. If you experience bloating, you may need to reduce your daily intake to allow this adjustment"

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#323100 - 01/24/08 10:31 AM
Zara

Quote:

The VSL#3 FAQ it say "Bloating can occur during the first few days following the start of VSL#3 consumption. This is usually a transitory phenomenon due to the changing intestinal microflora. If you experience bloating, you may need to reduce your daily intake to allow this adjustment"

Thanks, Syl. I already read the FAQ section when I bought the probiotic. I just thought that almost 3 weeks is more then just "the first few days". I already reduced my dose starting my second week but I have yet to see any improvement when it comes to bloating .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#323109 - 01/24/08 01:09 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Zara, do you always have the bloating?...even before teh probiotics? I get "major" bloating if I eat foods with yeast or yeast extract. That's the first telltale sign for me that yeast was "hidden" somewhere in something I ate, even when I thought I was being careful.Have you thought of eliminating yeast foods for a whileeto see if you notice a difference? Just a thought...........

#323110 - 01/24/08 01:47 PM
KathyR

Quote:

I'm not positive about that product in particular, but I know that other Digestive Advantage products marketed towards IBS actually have artificial sweeteners in them, which can cause a lot of problems, including D, gas, bloating, etc. So there's a very good chance it was something extra they put in the probiotic. Just my two cents

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

That could very well be the problem. I totally stopped taking it, and I'm feeling much better. Not the urgent D, and much less gas. I'm just trying to eat better and feel that I just have to live with it the best I can. When I think back, I've had this problem for many many years...I'm 59, and I can remember extreme stomach aches in grade school. That's where it all began. Oh well.

#323117 - 01/24/08 02:23 PM
Zara

Quote:

Zara, do you always have the bloating?...even before teh probiotics? I get "major" bloating if I eat foods with yeast or yeast extract. That's the first telltale sign for me that yeast was "hidden" somewhere in something I ate, even when I thought I was being careful.Have you thought of eliminating yeast foods for a whileeto see if you notice a difference? Just a thought...........

Kim, yes, I was bloated even before the probiotics but now as much. And not as gassy. I actually haven't been eating any foods containing wheat for the past 2 weeks and no improvement . Thanks though!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: probiotics-BioBeads? new
      #323118 - 01/24/08 02:34 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I was just told by my doc. today to start probiotics. Well I bought BioBeads... anyone heard of them? They have acidophilus and all that other stuff. They do not contain artificial colors or flavors, no wheat, no dairy, no gluten, no eggs, no yeast, no added sugar or preservatives and no milk. They look like little tiny beads and they have an outer shell like thing that is said to protect it until it gets to where it needs to be in your digestive system. They also dont need to be refridgerated.

I keep hearing a lot of talk about probiotics causing D. Well I have IBS-D so I am wondering also if maybe I shouldnt take probiotics??

Stefanie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1096 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2673

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review