All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Problems with yogurt may be due to Splenda
      #322917 - 01/22/08 08:00 AM
maplly3

Reged: 01/22/08

In the Jan 22 newsletter, someone wrote that he or she had eliminated most diary products except for yogurt, and suspected that the yogurt seemed to cause stomach upset. Please check to see if the yogurt you're eating contains Splenda (sucralose). A few years ago, I was eating Dannon yogurt regularly, and suddenly noticed my symptoms getting worse. (Soon after eating even a few spoonfuls of yogurt, I started getting cramps.) I soon found out that Dannon had recently switched its yogurt ingredients from aspartame (or another artificial sweetener) to Splenda. Please be aware that Splenda is the last thing someone with IBS should be consuming. This is something my gastroenterologist verified, and his appointment secretary also had personal experience with this. I & many other people are Splenda-intolerant. (SOme have much worse symptoms than bowel distress; I've read of seizures, projective vomiting, and other body system problems.) Unfortunately, more and more products are switching to Splenda, which means that I & many others can't eat them. I have to check the ingredients list closely on virtually every food, beverage, and gum product I buy now. Please join me in writing to companies that make sweetened product to ask them to remove the Splenda or at least make alternate products that don't contain it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Problems with yogurt may be due to Splenda new
      #322952 - 01/22/08 02:20 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Good advice....I personally stay away from all artificial sugars. None of them are "good" for you, and even aspartame has caused unwanted side effects. I have read from others' testimonies that artificial sweetners can cause havoc with those with IBS/IBD.

#322967 - 01/22/08 04:37 PM
Fatso

Reged: 01/18/08
Loc: United States

So what do you suggest, grocers should go back to regular sugar?
What about people with diabetes?

#322988 - 01/23/08 06:44 AM
maplly3

I'm suggesting that manufacturers make Splenda-free versions of their products available, whether that means using aspartame, saccharin, or whatever. I know some people are sensitive to any or even to all artificial sweeteners, and I'm aware that diabetics can't eat much sugar. Splenda-sensitive consumers are gradually being squeezed out of options, and manufacturers should retain Splenda-free versions of at least some of their products.

#322996 - 01/23/08 08:31 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I'm feeling the same way with all these products that are suddenly being made with whole grains. They're everywhere!!! I just saw a commercial last night for Campbell's soup saying that all the pasta in their soups will now be whole grain. Ugh - not everyone can eat whole grains!!!!!!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#323013 - 01/23/08 09:58 AM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

Aspartame is not good for you. Better to have a small infrequent amount of real sugar than frequent artificial sweeteners. They're not natural.

I heard Stevia was meant to be a natural alternative to sugar?

#323015 - 01/23/08 10:14 AM
PinkAngel

I switched my yogurt to a fat free kind and after reading your replies checked to see if it had splenda in it, and the sweetner they are using is called Sucralose. Anyone know what that is? I was trying Activa as a recommendation by my doctor and several people, but I am wondering if that is not such a good idea. . . Any thoughts?

#323019 - 01/23/08 10:38 AM
Laurastr1

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Chicago

I switched to Trader Joe's organic soy yogurt. It is sweetened with kane juice. It has a bit of a funny taste to it but overall not bad.

--------------------
Laura
DX IBS 12/07
Following IBS Diet with Weight Watchers
Also GERD
Former cast iron stomach

#323025 - 01/23/08 11:08 AM
Fatso

Reged: 01/18/08
Loc: United States

Quote:

I switched my yogurt to a fat free kind and after reading your replies checked to see if it had splenda in it, and the sweetner they are using is called Sucralose. Anyone know what that is? I was trying Activa as a recommendation by my doctor and several people, but I am wondering if that is not such a good idea. . . Any thoughts?

Sucralose

Splenda is sucralose -nt- new
      #323028 - 01/23/08 11:34 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1963 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4348

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review