All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
For the LOVE of coffee....
      #322821 - 01/20/08 08:18 PM
beyondform

Reged: 02/08/05
Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

I am obsessed with coffee. I am very particular about where I get it from and savor the experience. Yet I also have IBS-C and have had a love-hate relationship with the substance based upon the height of my symptoms at the time. Unfortunately, this weekend my body decided not to tolerate the caffeine roller-coaster any longer, and sent me into a state of pain far more intense than normal. Then, not only was I dealing with cramping and lack of appetite, but the crushing symptoms of caffeine withdrawal!

Since then, I've managed to have some coffee, even though it does cause some pain, only to offset the debilitating withdrawal. I'm hoping to gradually phase it out this week through weaker doses. I tried using the Teecino method, but my stomach is a bit senstive to it, so this is the only way. I've really wanted to get control over this addiction for a while, and it looks like I am not being forced into it.

Anyway, I look forward to working with this site to actually getting a handle on my health, rather than simply trying to tolerate it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For the LOVE of coffee.... new
      #322825 - 01/21/08 01:30 AM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

Dude, you are not alone. I am a coffee tragic and it is killing me not getting my gourmet grounds.

I too am particular about coffee-the grounds, whether they grind per cup, whether or not the barista has cleaned the machine properly, if they even HAVE a Barista working behind the counter.

I am IBS-D and I might be able to tolerate maybe ONE Cappuccino but only if I can have an Immodium aswell and even then, it's touch and go so I can't drink it when I am out. I have to resort to getting it and dashing home to drink it in case "something" happens.

Prayer helps. :P But it is bloody hard...and don't get me started on chocolate...

#322831 - 01/21/08 08:14 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Oh geez, do I miss my coffee. And I could swear it helped with the BMs

Quote:

I tried using the Teecino method, but my stomach is a bit senstive to it

Same here. Inulin is rough stuff on tummies. Unfortunately, that leaves us with nothing....if you can't tolerate soy either.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#322845 - 01/21/08 09:32 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

I am finding I can tolerate a cup or two if I have my acacia first. Lately Ive been very stable so that may be the reason. Normally though it sends me running to the bathroom. The only think that can even replace it in my mind and taste buds is soy chai from Starbucks but at 4.00 a cup, I limit those!

Sandy

#322848 - 01/21/08 10:23 AM

Unregistered

I'm the same way....in the morning I'm fine as long as I take my Acaia before I drink it....I don't know if it makes a huge difference but I drink 1/2 caffeine & 1/2 decaf....

#322916 - 01/22/08 07:32 AM
peteK

Reged: 12/12/07

Same here I never thought I'd miss coffee the most. Living in NYC seeing everyone queuing up for, carrying, slurping and savouring their morning coffees is tough! Not to mention the bagels and doughnuts

Amusingly I switched to a coffee substitute (roasted barley, chicory root, rye etc.) only to realise weeks later that I'm intolerant to barley&rye and that it was making me even more sick than coffee, lol.

Peppermint and camomile it is then.
Pete

#322968 - 01/22/08 04:49 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

i find that i can have a few decaf coffees a day and they dont bother me.......have you tried decaf, black?

#323003 - 01/23/08 09:07 AM
Wheresthedamnloo

Reged: 01/19/08

I will try decaf but I thought it was a big no no.

#323010 - 01/23/08 09:42 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Even decaf coffee can trigger problems for me. Caffeine is a no no for us, but coffee (decaf or not) also contains an enzyme that is a possible trigger for many of us.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#323492 - 01/29/08 11:43 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Try Soyfee.com. It has different flavor beans that are ground just like coffee and are made exactly like coffee. And note that too much soy bothers me (in milk, replacements, etc.) but soyfee has NEVER given me a problem. I have been drinking it daily for over a year. It's the only thing that has "psychologically" helped with missing coffee. As for the caffeine...I hear you on that one on some early mornings.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 388 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4784

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review