All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cold hands and feet a symptom of Celiac?
      #322567 - 01/17/08 01:43 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I was just curious to know whether cold hands and feet (Raynaud's) is a symptom of Celiac disease. I know it is a symptom of autoimmune thyroid disease, so wondered, since Celiac is also an autoimmune condition, whether it would be a symptom of that, too.

In the winter, I just can't get my hands and feet to warm up. Sometimes my fingernails actually turn blue. I work in an office and sometimes just typing is a challenge. I was tested for thyroid disease a couple of years ago and everything was normal.

Just wondering. Thanks!

Oh, just to add, when I was first diagnosed with IBS I don't remember if I had a test for Celiac or not. It was 12 years ago and I went to the doctor so many damn times I don't remember what they did and didn't check for anymore.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Edited by Erilyn (01/17/08 01:45 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cold hands and feet a symptom of Celiac? new
      #322582 - 01/17/08 05:08 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Hey Erilyn,
Cold hands and feet are a sign of anemia (I am anemic). People with Celiacs are often also anemic because of the lack of nutrition celiac people are receiving. My hands and feet are always cold. Hope that helps!!

Stefanie

#322622 - 01/18/08 09:10 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Thanks Stefanie! I don't know if I'm anemic - I know I didn't USED to be! I used to give blood and they always did a quick iron test beforehand, and I always passed it. But it's been over 7-8 years since I've done that. Obviously things could have changed since then - LOL. I've had the cold hands and feet thing for as long as I can remember, but I do think it's been getting worse over the last 3-4 years or so. It's almost debilitating - it just gets soooo hard to type when your fingers are so numb!

Edit to add: I was jsut looking up anemia and it seems there are other causes besides just a simple iron deficiency. Huh....

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Edited by Erilyn (01/18/08 09:20 AM)

#322624 - 01/18/08 09:58 AM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

I feel your pain with the cold hands Erilyn. I have had cold hands since I was born. Like you, they turn blue and mine get splotchy if they get too cold. I don't think I'm anemic, and I've never tested positive for celiac but I do avoid wheat. I do have Raynauds though and it makes the winter really hard sometimes. I wear two pairs of gloves when I go out to walk my dogs for a half hour to 45 minutes and my hands still hurt, so frustrating!

Oh well, when spring gets here I know it will be better!

#322625 - 01/18/08 10:20 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Another blue-fingered person here ! My nails are almost always light purple and in winter (or when I'm cold) they get really purple! In high school kids used to not believe me and think that I polish them like that, lol! I wear mittens in winter because that way my hands stay warmer and only you can imagine how excited I was about this one christmas present - super warm ski gloves, lol!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#322904 - 01/21/08 06:40 PM
yoffie

Reged: 08/01/07

Talk with rheumatoid doctor about biofeedback for learning how to warm hands up. also a nitrate cream on toes can help toes (prescription only). it runs in my husband's family with no other autoimmune issues. No one in the family who has this issue is anemic. Rheumatoid doctor is your best bet.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 323 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4800

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review