All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
peanut butter: safe?
      #322358 - 01/14/08 10:44 PM
theflyingw

Reged: 01/14/08

Hi i'm new here, and i'm not even sure if I have IBS but i do seem to have mild bloating / lack of hunger / bowel issues, so i thought i'd try this diet out. I loooove peanut butter though, and since i'm underweight everyone agrees i could use the good fat. And it seems many people on here regard peanut butter as "safe" but isn't it both extremely high in fat and also made from peanuts, both which are foods to be careful with?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: peanut butter: safe? new
      #322362 - 01/15/08 05:01 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

If PB doesn't agree with you you can try almond butter. I was considering it the other day at the store. The problem with peanuts is that they're in fact legumes and thus can increase bloating and gas.
As far as the fat content goes, just see how much you can tolerate. Start with a small amount and make sure to have it with some SF (bananas or bread, not celery sticks).

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#322385 - 01/15/08 09:43 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I do best with the low fat creamy variety or the more pure stuff like Simply Jif.

#322401 - 01/15/08 01:41 PM

Unregistered

I eat peanut butter all the time, just don't slather it on too thick! I use Smucker's All-Natural Creamy - it doesn't have all that extra sugar and junk in it, plus it tastes ten times better

#322412 - 01/15/08 04:38 PM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

That's my favorite PB, too! I get the reduced fat version . I don't know what I would do without my peanut butter, it is one of those foods I simply can't live without, lol.

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerance

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#322429 - 01/15/08 08:52 PM
theflyingw

Reged: 01/14/08

But if one can tolerate PB despite the legumes and very high fat content, doesn't that mean they should be able to tolerate other high fat foods or any of the other caution foods?

#322557 - 01/17/08 11:41 AM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

It is all trial and error. You have to experiment with foods to know what botheres you. Alot of people find it helps to keep a food diary. I can eat PB but any high fat italian food is a strict no-no for me, plus it has cheese.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#322690 - 01/19/08 08:49 AM
Fatso

Reged: 01/18/08
Loc: United States

Quote:

It is all trial and error. You have to experiment with foods to know what botheres you. Alot of people find it helps to keep a food dairy. I can eat PB but any high fat italian food is a strict no-no for me, plus it has cheese.

Wait a minute, I can have dairy?
I love Edy's Sugar Free Ice Cream with Splenda (Chocolate Chip).
Are you saying I can have this again?

#322691 - 01/19/08 08:53 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

It's a typo, it should read "food diary". Sorry, if you're following Heather's diet dairy is out (so are artificial sweeteners so stay away from Splenda).

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 644 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2315

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review