All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Fructose Intolerance (really Mal-absorbtion) new
      #323030 - 01/23/08 11:38 AM
DML

Reged: 01/14/08
Loc: Missouri, USA

Eating fructose affects me rather quickly. When I had my fructose test three years ago drank the fructose liquid, within 5-10 minutes I was starting to belch. Then as it traveled into the intestines, the 'wind' began.
Just FYI, before I was diagnosed, I was having dull pain and tenderness in various areas of my abdomen. I went through a series of lower and upper GI tests before my doctor tried the fructose/lactose tests.
I would definitely have the tests done. They are so easy and you know the results immediately. My hydrogen levels were extremely high after drinking the fructose liquid. My lactose tests were negative (thank goodness). It's all just a process of elimination. I still have to be careful and eating out can be a challenge.
Good luck!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Fructose Malabsorption and Sorbitol new
      #323182 - 01/25/08 02:38 PM
Narns

Reged: 01/11/08

Hi,
I've been on a great diet for Fructose malabsorption. Can eat any fresh fruit that has as much glucose as fructose (bananas and oranges are pretty good) Cannot eat fruits with excess fructose- apples, pears, mangos, watermelon. I avoid onions, leeks, asparagus, green beans. I minimize wheat. I had diarrhoea every day for about 12 years before starting this diet. Now I don't.

I have a question about sorbitol though. I think I am sensitive to fruits that contain sorbitol. I really can't eat grapes. Does anyone know where I can find a list of fruits high in sorbitol?

Re: Fructose Int. Glucose new
      #323186 - 01/25/08 02:50 PM
Narns

Yes
Glucose is good for me. If I eat something I shouldn't, I can eat jelly beans or something to reverse the problem I would otherwise experience. (Up to a point)

In fact, the reason I first found out about the glucose effect was that I had to drink an extremely strong glucose drink for a gestational diabetes test and it made my symptoms go away for about three days

Re: Fructose Malabsorption and Sorbitol new
      #323188 - 01/25/08 02:51 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Figure 2 in this article and Table 1 in this article has some information on sorbitol, fructose and glucose in fruits.

If you read these articles you will also see that sorbitol exacerbates fructose malabsorption.

By the way some grapes have quite a bit more fructose than glucose. Some red grapes have as much as 10 grams of excess fructose per 100 grams.

Good Luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#323189 - 01/25/08 02:58 PM
Narns

Thanks Syl,

Sorry to everyone for not reading all previous posts before posting. This is my first time and I'm trying to figure the system out. Sounds like we're all talking about the same diet.

Yes (can't remember who wrote it), I had to diagnose myself too. Even when I mentioned my observations about glucose to a GP she said she had no idea why it would cause the improvement in my symptoms

#323192 - 01/25/08 03:08 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Quote:

Some red grapes have as much as 10 grams of excess fructose per 100 grams.

Yick! That must explain why red grapes give me so much trouble, and green grapes not so much. Red grape JUICE is like turbolax to me...

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#323239 - 01/26/08 12:37 PM
Syl

FYI - here are some values for the amount of free fructose per 100 grams and per serving in some varieties of grapes. As you can see most of them have as much free fructose as HFCS

grapes, black muscateel 7.7 / 8.1
grapes, Ralli seedless 8.0 / 8.4
grapes, Thompson 8.1 / 8.5
grapes, red globe 7.6 / 7.9
grapes, red 10.0 / 10.5

This information comes from recently published paper from the Australian group that has been doing the most amount of research on the role of fructose in IBS. These researchers found that there wasn't enough good available data about the amount of fructose and fructans in fruits and veggies so they did the measurements themselves. If you are near a university library you might try to get a copy of the article given below.

Reference
Muir, J. G., S. J. Shepherd, O. Rosella, R. Rose, J. S. Barrett, and P. R. Gibson, 2007: Fructan and Free Fructose Content of Common Australian Vegetables and Fruit. J. Agric. Food Chem., 55, 6619-6627.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#323591 - 01/31/08 04:05 AM
Narns

Thanks Syl, have read them now. Very helpful

Re: Fructose Intolerance new
      #331892 - 07/01/08 04:20 PM
simpleton

Reged: 12/12/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Fascinating thread! Forgive me as I cannot do much research as I have hurt my back and my computer time is severely limited.

Having said that, I drink at least six glasses of concentrated cherry juice per day (cannot drink straight water as it irritates my tummy) and I am wondering if this could be contributing to my constipation, gas and bloating. I believe tart cherries contain sorbitol (as do sweet cherries) from the graphs I have seen but I am not sure if tart cherries contain more fructose than glucose.

Can anyone comment as to whether the concentrated cherry juice could be contributing to my symptoms?

My hunch is yes but I would love some input.

Thanks!

Re: Fructose Intolerance new
      #331900 - 07/01/08 07:41 PM
Syl

Generally speaking stone fruits such as cherries contain more glucose than fructose.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 619 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7536

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review