All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Fecal Fat test and colon polyps poll
      #322261 - 01/13/08 04:35 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Hello, I'm talking another poll. Has anyone had the 24 hour fecal fat test? Has anyone had poyps found during a colonoscopy? I've had every test known to modern science and everything has come back normal with the exception of these 2 things - they found and removed a polyp (I'm 46 BTW), and also found that my body is not absorbing fat properly - I had double the "normal" amount of fat in my stool. I keep reading that IBS does not lead to any physical problems, so these 2 things are causing me a little concern with my diagnosis of IBS. I'm scheduled for the camera pill next month which is the only test I've not had so far. This test is going to cost me $2,000 (my insurance deductible is $4,000 and it'll be the new year). My GI doc doesn't feel that it is necessary, but is willing to do it if it will help me sleep at night. I'd like to get your opinions if you don't mind.

I originally posted this in the living room and no-one responded - maybe it's because I was a newbie and wasn't sure which board to post it in so I'll try again here - I would greatly appreciate feedback!!

Also since my original post, I've found that SIBO can be another cause of the fat malabsorption so I'm going to have that test done as well.

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

bump new
      #322506 - 01/16/08 07:00 PM
CJIBSDG

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

Re: Fecal Fat test and colon polyps poll new
      #322512 - 01/16/08 08:10 PM
ArtKen

Reged: 07/12/03
Loc: Brantford, Ontario, Canada

Well I have never heard of fecal fat but as far as polyps I had some discovered by a barium enema a few years ago and they were removed a month later in a colonscopy. There wee three in total. As family has some history of colon cancer I am scheduled next year for a further colonscopy.

However my problem is probably related more to diverticulosis

#322525 - 01/17/08 04:53 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

What additional tests, if any, did you doctor recommend doing after your fecal fat test came back high?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#322528 - 01/17/08 05:23 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Welcome. I had two polyps removed in a colonoscopy (BTW I'm 57). My GI told me that additional tests were unnecessary but when my routine bone scan showed a small "shadow" on the liver, my GI and my internist suggested that I have a pelvic and abdominal CT Scan which I did. Mysterious shadow was a cyst so no problem there. My GI doesn't think the camera pill is a good test apparently. I ask about it and he said that he felt a colonoscopy was a better option because the prep was the same and the camera pill was not as good an indicator. I did not have any fat absorbtion tests. They were never discussed.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#322603 - 01/18/08 03:13 AM
CJIBSDG

To answer Syl's question, I had the following tests in this order (as I remember it - but I've probably forgotten something):

1. Upper GI with small bowel follow through - the doc said this was normal, but after doing some research of my own I question this because I had large amounts of gas in the small intestine which according to what I've read is NOT normal - the small intestine should produce very little gas.
2. Complete cbt (I think) blood and several other blood tests (giardia, celiac, etc.) All normal
3. Colonoscopy (found and removed polyps)
4. Fecal fat test - Abnormal results (double the normal amount of fat in stool). My GI said this was an indicator of the following: Celiac, pancreas insufficiency, Crohn's, infection, giardia, small bowel overgrowth
5. Endoscopy - this was performed b/c the blood work for celiac is only 90% effective and an endoscopy will rule this out 100%, my results were normal
6. CAT scan of entire abdominal region (including gall bladder etc.) - This test was to rule out pancreas insufficiency and/or gall bladder issues. Results were normal
7. I had some more blood work done, but I can't remember what it was for but the results were normal.

I see the new GI today, so I'm very interested to see what he has to say. As I've said in other posts, I'm just not comfortable with a diagnosis of IBS (although I do not doubt that I have IBS, I just think there's something else going on as well). Because IBS is supposed to be the diagnosis ONLY when all tests come back with normal results - since I've had some abnormalities found, I feel the need to further investigate.

BTW, I was originally diagnosed with IBS 20 years ago, I had most of the tests mentioned above way back then all results were normal. My symptoms have never been as severe or chronic as what I've had for the past 10 months. Before starting Heather's diet (about 5 weeks ago), I did not have a single week with no symptoms and a typical week for me was 3 to 5 days of D (typically 8 BM on the D days) and flatulence, bloating, pain every single day not to mention numerous instances of incontinence. Since starting the diet, I now have D once or twice a week (typically 5 BM on the D days but with much less urgency), gas, bloating, pain, but no instances of incontinence.

Also worth mentioning, I've had a bowel surgery... I had a prolapsed uterus which caused my bladder and bowel to drop. I can't remember the medical terms but basically what they did was remove my uterus and repair my bowel and bladder. This could explain how I would get SIBO (If I do in fact have SIBO). I have read that "One of the most common clinical manifestations of SIBO is chronic diarrhea secondary to fat malabsorption". So, I'm very suspicious of this (it would explain why my symtoms have become so much worse than in the past 19 years, and the large amounts of gas in my small intestine) who knows, it might even explain why I've had polyps at such a young age.

--------------------

#322604 - 01/18/08 03:17 AM
CJIBSDG

Quote:

My GI doesn't think the camera pill is a good test apparently. I ask about it and he said that he felt a colonoscopy was a better option because the prep was the same and the camera pill was not as good an indicator.

Don't you think that is an intersting response from your GI? That doesn't sound reasonable at all to me considering that the colonoscopy scopes ONLY the large bowel and very minute portion of the small bowel whereas the camera pill is taking 2 pictures per second of the small bowel... I don't even see how a doc can compare one to the other given the fact that they are looking at 2 completely seperate organs.

I would also like to thank you all for your responses... I was beginning to think that I'm the only one on here who's had polyps, but it does sound like I'm the only one to have had the 24 hour fecal fat test (which I think is odd).

Anyway, thank you so much for the responses - it's so nice to finally have somewhere to chat, ask questions and find answers!!!! You've all been sooo helpful!

--------------------

#322606 - 01/18/08 04:58 AM
Syl

Quote:

4. Fecal fat test - Abnormal results (double the normal amount of fat in stool). My GI said this was an indicator of the following: Celiac, pancreas insufficiency, Crohn's, infection, giardia, small bowel overgrowth

Thanks - that was an interesting history however, I still don't know the answer to my question. Are you saying your GI doc recommended that you have tests for Celiac, pancreas insufficiency, Crohn's, infection, giardia, small bowel overgrowth? Have you had any of these tests or are you going to have these tests?

The bowel surgery is definitely a complicating factor that most IBS suffers don't have to deal with. Good luck with your new GI doc

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Fecal fat test in response to Syl's questions new
      #322647 - 01/18/08 02:48 PM
CJIBSDG

[quote
Thanks - that was an interesting history however, I still don't know the answer to my question. Are you saying your GI doc recommended that you have tests for Celiac, pancreas insufficiency, Crohn's, infection, giardia, small bowel overgrowth? Have you had any of these tests or are you going to have these tests?

The answer is yes and yes. My GI recommended that we test for all of the above because of the fecal fat test (that's why I had the endoscopy, CT scan, and additional blood work). The results of these tests I've had to date have ruled out the following with no uncertainty (or so they say): pancreas insufficiency, celiac, giardia, infection. The only things left that have not been ruled out entirely are SIBO and Chron's.

I saw the new GI today, he went through all of my tests and agrees with the first GI that I do have IBS (no surprise there), he is uncertain about SIBO and called everywhere in my area but no-one performs the breath test. He said that the test is not very conclusive anyway, and the best way to find out is to start on antibiotics, if I were to improve that would be a very good sign that I do have it (I'm pretty apprehensive about these after reading posts from others so I need to think more about this before I commit to taking them). After looking at my food and symptom diary he said he doesn't think I have a lactose or fructose intolerance. He said if I did, I'd be showing much more improvement given the fact that I've removed these from my diet since 12/9/07 (he said I'd see results within 10 days). He prefers a 72 hour fecal fat test over the 24 hour test that I had done previously, so I'm starting that today (thank God I have a 4 day weekend b/c I know I'm going to be very ill for the next 3 days). Again, I have to eat 100 grams of fat per day for 3 days and collect my stools for this period of time. I stopped at Albertsons on my way home and bought fried chicken, ice cream, lays potato chips, ranch dip, chuncky chips ahoy, then stopped at McDonald's and got a large order of french fries and diet coke - I figure if I'm going to be sick, I might as well get some of my beloved diet coke in there Oddly enough, I'm having a hard time eating these foods (I think it's a mind thing) but I'll do my best to force them down. So far I've eaten the french fries and a chicken leg (but I've searched the web and can't find fat grams on fried chicken so if you happen to know this information, I'd really appreciate you letting me know), I would assume that a leg must have somewhere around 10 grams and a breast about the same??? (I bought only legs and breasts). I'll eat another piece or two today and have some ice cream and a few cookies then maybe some potato chips and ranch - oh my gosh that's an awful lot of junk to consume for 3 days solid!!! Please say a prayer for me!!

--------------------

Re: Fecal fat test in response to Syl's questions new
      #322681 - 01/19/08 04:04 AM
Syl

A number of people on this board have taken Rifaximin or Xifaxan (both the same antibiotic) for SIBO. If you search the board for these antibiotics you will find some posting. Perhaps posting a message to one of the existing threads might bring you some advice from others who have tried the antibiotic approach to see if they have SIBO.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 537 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5862

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review