All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
The Egg Yolk Confessional
      #322218 - 01/12/08 06:50 AM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

Okay. I did it. Finally. I removed egg YOLKS from my diet. After two days, I am better - much. This was very hard for me to do. I'd done the whole IBS diet thing - and very well, but just didn't let that last thing go. My problems continued. I have severe allergies and eggs are high histamine foods anyway - so maybe this is the ticket. I made so many excuses for keeping them in...nutrition, didn't believe they were the problem. Still not sure. But I confess, I did it all - and now am doing the last thing possible. I eat a high fiber, low saturated fat diet, lots of soluble fiber - I'm being treated for allergies and keeping my stress down / water up and attitude positive. I use chamomile for IBS (anxiety, anti-spasmotic and very healing to the mucosa), hypnosis - you can see I'm really trying. Now the yolks go. It HAD to happen sometime. Gosh. If that's all I need to do - over the week I should see more improvement. My confession. For some people its butter or whatever they insist life just isn't the same without...for me, egg yolks. Okay. I'll try this. I always keep trying.

Did anyone else hang on to eggs for a while and have improvement only after checking all ingredients for yolk etc?

One question. I don't have symptoms when I EAT the egg yolks - its the next morning spastic colon/IBS...so does that mean that when it hits my stomach there is not a problem, but my sensitivity could be in the lower intestine - if there is some damage or sensitive lining there - due to alleries or ? Anyone else have delayed symptoms for any food at all?

Fingers crossed.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The Egg Yolk Confessional new
      #322219 - 01/12/08 08:40 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I can't say I've been addicted to egg yolks, but I do have a hard time resisting things with dairy. For a long time it was Lactaid milk. You're right, we make excuses b/c we really don't want the truth to be that we have to avoid something we enjoy or feel is necessary nutritionally. I always feel so much better when I am strict in adhering to Heather's diet. I'm glad you got up the willpower to do the same. And I'm not sure why the reaction is delayed. It seems that happens with so many foods. Enjoy feeling better!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: The Egg Yolk Confessional new
      #322221 - 01/12/08 09:07 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

IBS is a problem with the bowel. The bowel is the small and large intestine. It does not included the stomach. And generally speaking IBS involves the large intestine (colon) and not the small intestine. It quite common for symptoms to appear from a few hours up to 48 hours after consumption of problem foods.

Some foods such as SF, IF, fats/oils, etc pass through the small intestine to the colon undigested where it is fermented by colonic bacteria. The fermentation of these foods produce gases and by-products that can change the motility of the GI tract. For example, some colonic bacteria produce methane gas during fermentation of undigested food. As the amount of methane gas increases the bowel slows down producing C in some IBS suffers.

Current understanding of IBS suggests it does not involve structural damage to the bowel. This is usually associated bowel diseases like Crohn's, colitis, and inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD). These diseases should have been excluded by the tests you had when you were diagnosed with IBS.

Was your IBS diagnosed by a GI doctor or your GP? Are you IBS-C, IBS-D or IBS-A?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 465 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 806

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review