All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I need advice about morning problems with my IBS
      #322193 - 01/11/08 01:24 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

This new problem has developed within the last month or so. I get up about 6:30 am, get a shower, take my vitamins(same ones I've taken for years), make tea, and get my boys up for school. I get them breakfas and do my "chores" around the house before I have to drive them to school. The school is about 10 minutes from the house. We need to leave the house about 8:00 am and about 7:50 am the last couple of weeks, I need to go to the bathroom. It's only a little bit normally. By the time we have to get out of the house, I have to a lot more. Then I'm stressing thinking how am I going to get out of the house to get them to school with me having to go again. I get in the van and head to the school, praying the whole time, I'll be able to make it to school before I have to go yet again. (it is normally not "d" but a lot of volume!

I tried to get up earlier today thinking I'd give my stomach longer to get moving. Well it didn't matter. 8 o'clock rolls around and the same thing only today it was D. I had to take a Motofen to stop it because I had to go to work. (normally I work from home).

I am getting so tired of this happening to me. Granted, I am not always that careful with what I eat and that is going to change but I wondered if anyone else struggles so in the morning. It's not really stressful getting the kids to school but my stomach for some reason goes haywire.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Sandy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I need advice about morning problems with my IBS new
      #322198 - 01/11/08 02:27 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Sandy,
My IBS is the worst in the morning. I'm a teacher so that makes it even worse. I always have to go in the morning (my IBS is "D") and I have had to stop on my way to work because of the cramping/pain and such horrible urgency to go. Also once I get to work I usually have to go again. Unfortunetly I dont have suggestions for you on how to fix this because I would like to fix it also! Now you said youve been taking vitamins for years so I assume that wouldnt have anything to do with it. But I cant take vitamins because they upset my stomach. So unfortunetly I dont have any answers for you but I just wanted to let you know that I also have bad IBS in the mornings.

Stefanie

#322220 - 01/12/08 09:06 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Hi to both of you. This is a common problem with IBS'ers..especially the d. Before finding this site, I avoided all sorts of appointments, etc. in the morning b/c I would need a chance to have d for a few hours, take immodium, and give it a chance to work. I am a stay at home mom now but prior I was teaching also and made many stops along the way or was particularly feeling bad if I had an early meeting or something. Driving my son to school, I've had to stop right down the street in my development at a port-a-potty a bunch of times and just lock the door with my kids inside b/c it was so urgent. So I can definitely relate. I'm not sure what either of you are doing as far as the diet and or acacia or another supplement, but here are a few things that worked for me:

1. You can take one immodium the evening before and then one when you arise so you may have to go but it will more likely be controllable.

2. Get EVERYTHING that you possibly can ready the evening before so that you reduce ANY stress, even if you don't perceive it as stressful.

3. Eat something soluble upon waking. I used to starve myself until mid-day when the d subsided b/c I was scared to death to eat anything, but then I started to understand Heather's explanation the their needs to be something in your system to "grip" and keep it calm so it doesn't spasm. For me, oatmeal works, but in the beginning, I made some IBS friendly rice pudding or had even plain graham crackers to give myself a base.

4. GIVE UP COFFEE! You didn't mention you had any in the AM, but avoid it completely from your diet. I am a HUGE coffee lover...cappucino and all, but now I drink SOYFEE which is an awesome replacement. I don't drink tea so this gives me the psychological benefit of having "coffee" in the morning.

5. *I strongly suggest taking a soluble fiber supplement if you are not already doing so. I started with fibercon (yes, was sooo scared thinking it was a laxative) but it absorbs the water in your colon as Heather explains and if you go it will be less likely d or so urgent. I switche to acacia and I still take it daily in the AM mixed in my soyfee as a preventative. Sometimes if I have to go somewhere and my stomach is nervous or rumbling, I have a 1/2 and oatmeat packet with water and acacia even if it's later in the day. Oatmeal may not agree with you but have an SFS and some italian bread or 1/2 a banana instead.

6. Don't eat late the night before.

7. Get a good night's sleep.

8. Try hypno and or an AD. I got about 60% stable on Heather's diet and the acacia, then I did the hypno and started taking lexapro which really helped me stabablize. You may not think that it is the stress or anxiety but it is a vicious cycle b/c it may not start out that way (ie., you go the first few times b/c it is diet related, but then you get nervous that you won't make it to school, etc...then you keep going a third, fourth, fifth time b/c the stress is exacerbating it.)

Well, I hope this helps. I know that it is sheer torture going anywhere in the AM when you have this. Just knowing I had an AM activity used to make me have belly flips, but now it is only for the "big" events in my life. This Sept. I had a set back with anxiety when I started needing to walk my son to the bus stop (right up the street!!!) b/c I was afraid I'd have to go and then how could I leave him, what would I say, what would I do with my younger daughter,etc....as a result I started getting d and or multiple bms in the AM just like you described...okay until RIGHT BEFORE I'd need to leave. So I started listening to some more hypno sessions again, and watched my diet more closely and then once the situation became more familiar, it passed. I truly hope you feel better. Take these steps and you can do it!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#322243 - 01/13/08 09:12 AM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

I think line has provided some very good suggestions. I follow several of these suggestions myself and must say that it has gotten much better. I used to have 8 BM in a 2 hour period 4 to 5 mornings per week - I'm now having typically 1 BM every morning. Here's what I've been doing

1. Diet - I follow Heather's diet very strictly a typical day consists of the following:
Breakfast: oatmeal and 1 slice fresh white toast (dry)
snack: fresh french bread and single serving Mott's applesauce
lunch: white rice, tuna or chicken breast w/ yolk free egg noodles or mashed potato with soy butter
snack: fresh french bread and single serving Mott's applesauce
dinner: grilled chicken breast or salmon and w/ yolk free egg noodles or mashed potato with soy butter

I know it sounds very boring, but it sure beats the alternative. I do plan to add more items to my diet after I've been stable for a couple of months.

2. Exercise - talk a walk everyday

3. Teas - I drink fennel tea all day long every day (for gas), if I have D or too many BMs then I drink peppermint tea (I always follow peppermint tea with fennel b/c peppermint seems to give me gas but it stops the D).

4. Relaxation - I spend 1/2 hour in my hot tub every night then go to bed and listen to hypnotherapy tapes

5. Sleep - I've noticed that I have more trouble if I don't get 8 hours. My "old normal" amount of sleep was 5 hours per night so this has been a big adjustment for me. I often have to take xanax to ensure that I sleep 8 hours.

5. Probiotic - I take Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus 3 times a day.

Some things I've found that aggravate my symptoms:
1. bananas - cause constipation and gas
2. acacia fiber - cause constipation and gas
3. Fat - even very small amounts cause NUMEROUS BM with urgency followed by gas
4. carrots (both cooked or raw) - cause BM with urgency
5. Probably many others that I have eliminated and not re-introduced yet.

While I'm sure that stress is a trigger, I think that most of my symptoms are diet related - I base this on a recent adventure. I had to travel for work last week - which can be pretty stressful - you know the whole rushing to the airport, getting through security, finding your terminal, flight delays, 4 hour flight all the while in the back of your mind, your just hoping and praying that you won't have 8 BM during this process. Then of course there was the whole week of being in a strange location around complete strangers and relying on others for transportation (can't ask them to stop 3 times during a 15 minute commute). Oddly enough, I had no troubles all week (with the exception of 1 day - which I later found out was probably b/c the hotel had cooked the green beans in butter after I specifically told them NO FAT!!).

Hope this helps! I know what you're going through and it is pure HELL!!!!

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

wow I just saw your post...thank you so much ! new
      #322574 - 01/17/08 02:41 PM
Sandyg

It helps so much just to know there is someone who can relate to what I am going through. What you said about the cycle makes so much sense. It's true...the first time could have been something I ate the night before but then it becomes a familiar thing...and you sort of expect it or your body just goes along that path.

I recently bought Acacia again. I was using Fibercon or something like that only taking 4 tablets or capsules in the morning with my vitamins. I've taken Acacia the night before and in the morning and the last two days have been OK. I still have gone 2 or 3 times before I have to leave for school but I'm not praying that I'll get to the school again before I have to go again. My stomach has been calm. I don't know if the Acacia is working already or the thought that I'm doing something different so I'm OK now is it. Whatever the reason I'm happy!

I could just imagine walking to a bus stop with my sons. That would horrible. And it's not like you can just leave them there! My sons (9 and 6) are familiar now with my bathroom needs but I still don't like dragging them to places where I can go.

Thanks again for your advice!
Sandy

#322575 - 01/17/08 02:43 PM
Sandyg

Thanks for your advice! for some reason I didn't get a chance to read your post until now. I guess I didn't check in a few days and it got buried. I just did a search on Acacia and it came up!

Thanks again!
Sandy

#322589 - 01/17/08 05:59 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

No problem. You might want to add yoga to the list too. I don't do it as much anymore on a regular basis, but someone else once posted that she always does it the evening before a big event just to calm her system. Glad to hear that you've had a few successful days. It could be the acacia...I saw a difference right away in urgency. Also, you might want to think about switching the timing of your vitamins to mid-day once you have eaten something and your stomach has a base. I know you said you have always taken them in the AM, but it couldn't hurt to try. I personally have not taken the vitamin road yet b/c they are rough on my stomach. I do really need to start though. Feel well and post questions anytime.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 367 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2150

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review