All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
My story -- sorry for the length, but any insights would really be helpful!!!
      #322090 - 01/09/08 07:01 PM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi,

So I was "officially" diagnosed with IBS a little less than a year ago. I had been experiencing symptoms of what I assumed to be IBS-D since October 2005. Basically, I started to have loose stools a couple times a day, and a year later I was having attacks 15-20 times a day. When trying to determine what caused my IBS, I attributed it to the fact that I moved to a brand new place, on my own, and started my first "real world" job, so I was going through a lot of stress. But lately, my symptoms have greatly changed. I no longer really suffer from D, but I do have anywhere from 3-6 bowel movements a day, and they are usually fairly formed but not what one would consider completely normal. However, my gas has increased exponenetially, and it's not just the gas itself but the smell that accompanies the gas as well. I have been on a probiotic for almost two months, and it doesn't seem to be helping at all.
In addition, I have been experiencing pain after eating, but it is not in the area where most IBS pain is usually located. This pain can be sharp at first but then subsides to a dull ache, and it is usually in the upper part of my abdomen, around my ribs. So, being the geek that I am, I did some research. And I discovered a lot of information about gallbladder diseases and I seem to have many of the symptoms. Not to mention, one of the major risk factors for gallbladder disease is being on birth control, which I just went on again (after several years off) back in September. So, I began to think back to when I was last on birth control.
I went on the pill in the summer of 2001, right before starting my freshman year of college. And then, in December of 2002, I was put on Nexium because my doctors determined that I had GERD. Upon starting that medicine, I began to have a lot of burping, and they weren't normal burping but they sounded really deep and sometimes hurt a little bit. I also started to have a bit of constipation, although nothing serious. My doctor at the time diagnosed me with IBS without conducting any other tests whatsoever (wish I knew then what I knew now). Eventually, by junior and senior year of college I was having gas issues as well, although not nearly as bad as they are now.
So my main question is whether I actually have IBS. I ask because of a few reasons, my main one having to do with the Rome III criteria for the disease. It says that IBS is always associated with abdominal pain that is usually made to feel better after having a bowel movement. However, I rarely ever had any pain with my D when it was really bad, a little over a year ago. And with my pain now, instead of having a BM making the pain subside, it actually seems to make it more noticeable. Secondly, most people on the website talk about how they developed IBS either as a child or earlier in life, or after an episode of food poisoning or parasites or the like. I don't fit either category -- when I was a kid I was hardly ever sick at all, and while I didn't have an "iron stomach" I never had a nervous stomach and I can count on both hands the number of times I have thrown up in my life. So I'm wondering if IBS could develop solely through stress, which would seem the only plausible explanation in my case.
Again, I'm very sorry for the long post, but this has been on my mind and I would really appreciate any comments or thoughts. Either about gallbladder disease, or the effects of being on BC on IBS, or if anyone else seemed to have their IBS develop mainly by stress. Thanks so much in advance!!!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My story -- sorry for the length, but any insights would really be helpful!!! new
      #322101 - 01/10/08 05:27 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Are you currently under a doctor's care?? Do you have a GI?? With your symptoms self diagnosis is dangerous. Many of your symptoms I too have experienced before and after all the tests it was determined that I have IBS only (or spastic colon as my GI insists upon calling it). My suggestion is to get some competent medical help. Since your symptoms have changed since the IBS diagnosis the doctor needs to know that. You very well could have a gall bladder problem but you won't know until you have the tests! Hope you feel better real soon.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Re: My story -- sorry for the length, but any insights would really be helpful!!! new
      #322104 - 01/10/08 05:37 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I believe the Rome III criteria defines IBS as recurrent abdominal pain or discomfort at least 3 days per month during the last 3 months associated with two or more of the following: improvement with defecation, onset associated with a change in frequency of stool, and/or onset associated with a change in form (appearance) of stool. Pain is not a necessary condition for IBS.

IBS can strike at any time in ones life. It is not necessary that it start after an disease or infection. Post-infection IBS only one type of IBS onset in some instances a genetic link has been identified or it can start after pregancy. Generally speaking in most instances the cause is unknown.

I have not seen anything in the research that shows a causal relationship between stress and IBS. However, there is lots of evidence to show that stress can exacerbate IBS.

Unfortunately, IBS can only be diagnosed through a process of exclusion. This is best done by a GI doctor. Has a GI doctor ever given you a IBS diagnosis?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#322111 - 01/10/08 08:54 AM
caputsky

Hi Syl,

Thanks for responding. Yes, I am now being seen by GI doctor here and he is wonderful, probably due to the fact that he has Crohn's himself and totally understanding where I am coming from. With his help, I had all the major tests done to exclude any other diseases with the same symptoms. I actualy think I do have IBS, but that something else is adding to it as of now. The main reason I think I have IBS is that my mom had it, but back when she was a teenager. She rarely suffers from it's symptoms anymore, and can eat mostly anything she wants (including ice cream, lucky duck). It just seems that my case of IBS is a lot worse than hers ever was. No one on my dad's side of the family has a history of digestive issues (my dad has an "iron stomach"). The pain that I am experiencing is just something that is so different from anything I am used to, and it scares me a little bit. It's not something that I can't deal with, but I need some peace of mind. That and the gas is what makes me want to investigate it further. I am also going to ask my GI to do a fructose sensitivity breath test -- I think that's what it is called? I just want to eliminate every possibility so that I can really find out what is causing these new symptoms. Anyway, thanks again for your reply -- as always you are a wealth of information and I truly appreciate it

Julie

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#322113 - 01/10/08 08:59 AM
caputsky

Thanks for your reply, Barbara. I did get a new doctor once I moved, and he is absolutely wonderful. He is a GI who has Crohn's himself, so he understands what us IBSers go through, and has been totally open to considering anything that will help me feel better. I think more GIs need to take a leaf from his book. Anyway, I had the major tests done to eliminate all the other possible conditions that mimic IBS and of course they were all negative. However, this pain I am experiencing is different than anything I ever have had with my IBS, so I really want to explore other possibilities. I probably still have IBS, but these added and intensified symptoms are making it a lot harder to handle. So hopefully my GI will have some ideas when I meet with him in several weeks. Thanks again for your response and your thoughts, they mean a lot!

Julie

--------------------

#322192 - 01/11/08 01:13 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

It certainly doesn't hurt to have you check out the gallbladder issues I think. A while ago I believe someone posted about a condition called Habba's syndrome. Check that out if you haven't already.

I used to have a very well behaved bowel system when I was a kid and in fact up till the first years of university. My bowel issues developed gradually and I think it happened mainly because of the stress related to my studying. My symptoms did not come after an infection nor after surgery or anything like that but the real problems started after a very stressful few weeks during my PhD studies.

/Ulrika

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 904 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1623

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review