All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
bloat
      #321940 - 01/08/08 10:33 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

What have you all found to be the best solution to reduce or even remove your bloat? I would love to hear what has helped others. Fennel doesn't cut it for me.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: bloat new
      #322091 - 01/09/08 07:04 PM
ArtKen

Reged: 07/12/03
Loc: Brantford, Ontario, Canada

I find fennel helps a bit but I also use Gas-EX.

Thanks and anyone else????????? new
      #322178 - 01/11/08 08:13 AM
Jordy

What diet modification has helped you the most with bloat? Or exercise or whatever???

--------------------

#322267 - 01/13/08 05:08 PM
Sneaker

Reged: 12/31/07
Loc: Montreal

Gas-X barely helps me at all.

I've found that ginger helps me a wee bit.

Re: Thanks and anyone else????????? new
      #322281 - 01/13/08 09:52 PM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

for me..
no dairy
no wheat
limited sugar

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

#322338 - 01/14/08 03:59 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

For me, I use fennel tea (drink it all day long in place of water) and gastrizyme. I also avoid acacia fiber and bananas. I think sugars also cause me some gas and bloating but I really haven't tested the theory out too much to be certain.

Best of luck to you!!

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#322343 - 01/14/08 04:47 PM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

Similar as Pud--

No dairy, no gluten/wheat, no fruit, no soy/beans.

#322368 - 01/15/08 06:54 AM
Jordy

Oooh, no fruit at all?

--------------------

#322369 - 01/15/08 06:55 AM
Jordy

Quote:

I use fennel tea (drink it all day long in place of water) and gastrizyme

Who makes these? They really make a difference?

--------------------

#322505 - 01/16/08 06:59 PM
Pud

i personally eat just a small amount of fruit.... banana in am orange in afternoon... its hard for me because i was on a health kick for so long and i can't have the healthy foods

i made some peanutbutter cookies just now.. they taste great and i hope they dont bother my tummy... i cut the required amount of sugar in half to a half cup... called for 1 cup peanut butter... i used 1/2 cup reduced fat and 1/2 regular... both natural peanut butters and called for an egg... i used egg whites... mixed it all up baked it at 350 and yum nice and warm and soft and not too sweet

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#322507 - 01/16/08 07:05 PM
CJIBSDG

Quote:

Who makes these? They really make a difference?

I drink Heather's fennel tea and I purchase gastrizyme from my local co-op but you can also get it online, it's made by nature rx - Here's a link (I purchase it by the case which is 10 bottles) Gastrizyme

I drink the fennel and if the gas is so bad that fennel isn't taking care of it then I take the gastrizyme and there's only been 1 time that it's been so bad that gastrizyme didn't help - I've been taking it for about 3 years.

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#322508 - 01/16/08 07:11 PM
Pud

so what does your diet consist of? for me
breakfast: ricekrispies minus HFCS with rice milk
snack :banana
lunch: rice or rice noodles with chicken
dinner: chicken, veggies potatoes

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#322542 - 01/17/08 08:50 AM
Jordy

Do you use the seeds or the tea bags? This product looks like a liquid. You use it after you eat, not before?

Hey, CJIBSDG, what fruits do you eat? Just curious... Except can't remember if you eat gluten or wheat free.

--------------------

So, new
      #322543 - 01/17/08 08:51 AM
Jordy

you are okay with oranges? How'd the cookies turn out?

--------------------

#322598 - 01/17/08 07:09 PM
redsoxgirlforever

Reged: 06/22/05
Loc: Boston

I get bloated quiet frequently, but I start each day with about 2 cups of very strong fennel tea and it really helps me out.

However, one day at work I was really suffering and NOTHING was working. So I found an empty office, closed the door and did just a few helpful yoga moves and did some deep breathing for about 10 minutes. It really, really helped. I did some twists and I also laid on my back and pulled my knees to my chest (and held them there for a while). I could not believe how much better I felt. I don't have all day to sneak off and do yoga..but if I am feeling really bad I go for it.

Be aware that yoga should be done on an empty stomach so if you try some of these moves right after you've eaten you might feel worse!

#322717 - 01/19/08 04:49 PM
Calli66

Fruit---I regret it when I eat it (gas, rectal irritation).

Breakfast: hot rice cream w/ sm amount of olive oil and tamari sauce, and green tea. Sometimes gluten-free pancakes from a mix, with butter substitute and honey--or rice krispies (health food store kind) with almond milk or rice milk.

Lunch: heated leftovers like vegetable soup, with a heated corn tortilla topped with melted soy cheese, green salad w/avocados and olives, almond milk to drink.

Dinner: stir-fried rice/vegetables/chicken, sometimes baked white or sweet potatoes, or rice pasta w/ cooked vegetables.

My treats: homemade gluten-free cookies, Trader Joe's 75% cocoa chocolate bars, vanilla Silk soy yoghurt with chocolate chips or fruit preserves (which get me into trouble)

Snacks: Nut-Thin crackers with Tofutti cream "cheese," raw carrots

Calli

#322724 - 01/19/08 06:29 PM
CJIBSDG

Quote:

Do you use the seeds or the tea bags? This product looks like a liquid. You use it after you eat, not before?

Hey, CJIBSDG, what fruits do you eat? Just curious... Except can't remember if you eat gluten or wheat free.

Jordy, I'm so sorry It's taken me so long to get back to you - I didn't notice your new post. I take Heather's fennel tea which I believe has seeds but they're in a bag. I actually drink it all day long beginning first thing in the morning. I bought a 1/2 gallon water jug which I fill up and bring to work. I put the jug in the frig and just pour a cup at a time and heat in microwave (I'm trying to stay away from cold drinks as I've read this can upset the tummy).

I was eating bananas when I first started Heather's diet but I think it was making me constipated and caused more gas so no more bananas for me. I mostly eat Mott's no added sugar applesauce which comes in several different flavors (blueberry, strawberry, and mixed berry). I try to eat 2 per day (between breakfast and lunch then again between lunch and dinner). The applesauce is actually pretty good mixed into white rice. Sometimes I eat apples or black grapes with the skin removed from both. I have to be careful of the grapes though, I can only safely eat 3 or 4.(of course they are my favorite fruit - go figure)

--------------------

#322758 - 01/20/08 08:08 AM
Jordy

About how many bags do you use per 1/2 gallon water?

I'm worried about the fructosse in applesauce. Have you tried branching out and trying other fruits....such as mango or papaya or berries, etc?

oh, I agree about the bananas...C and gas for me, I think. Too bad cuz I absolutely love them!

You eat gluten right?

--------------------

Calllie and Pud new
      #322763 - 01/20/08 08:28 AM
Jordy

You don't eat gluten either? Why not? And Pud, did you get my email address in my post? message

--------------------

#322764 - 01/20/08 08:29 AM
Jordy

Have a recipe for the cookies? Are you D or C? I find that lots of rice products make me more C.

Is the veggie soup homemade? How would you make it? I think I do better with homemade things over canned foods...probably cuz the latter adds onions, garlic, and other ingredients I don't have a clue what they are. Too bad....cause canned soup is so much easier and time consuming!

--------------------

#322773 - 01/20/08 10:20 AM
CJIBSDG

Quote:

About how many bags do you use per 1/2 gallon water?

I'm worried about the fructosse in applesauce. Have you tried branching out and trying other fruits....such as mango or papaya or berries, etc?

oh, I agree about the bananas...C and gas for me, I think. Too bad cuz I absolutely love them!

You eat gluten right?

I use 2 fennel bags per 1/2 gallon. As for the applesauce that I eat, there is no added sugar or HFCS, I know that apples do naturally have fructose but I don't seem to have a problem with this. I have had papayas and mangos but I don't really care too much for these so I pretty much just stick to the applesauces - I do sometimes eat the mango peach (but it has HFCS added - haven't been able to find a Mott's no sugar add in this flavor).

I agree, the banana issue is a real bummer for me too b/c they are my favorite fruit (and so convenient). Yes, I do eat gluten - I was tested for celiac (both the blood test and endoscopy - both negative) and I haven't noticed a problem with gluten (but who knows, it's all just so dang complicated). On the upside, I am learning more and more everyday so I guess someday I'll get there

--------------------

#322781 - 01/20/08 11:34 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Does HFCS bother you?

There is almost as much free fructose in some varieties of apples as there is in HFCS. HFCS has 10 grams/100 grams of excess fructose. A peeled Granny Smith apple have about 7 grams/100 grams and in the form of applesauce the amount is higher.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Jordy-reply & some recipes. new
      #322811 - 01/20/08 06:14 PM
Calli66

I have some auto-immune disease (Sjogren's and Thyoiditis) and having gluten and wheat sensitivity goes along with that (I tested neg for celiac antibodies, but that was after I quit eating gluten, so who knows?).

I used to be C, but that's better now since I've been taking thyroid meds, and watching my diet. Yeah, rice makes me more C, but I still eat it because I don't have too many choices...

"Drop Cookies": gluten free are easy. I get the Arrowhead Mills GF baking mix (already has leavening)
Blend Dry Ingredients
1/2 c. GF baking mix
1/2 c. white sorghum flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp. Xanthan gum
2/3 c. brown sugar

Blend Wet ingredients with eggbeater and add to dry ingredients, mix just until blended (it'll be a bit on the wet side):
2 eggs
1/4 c. cooking oil
1 TB. honey
1 tsp. lemon flavoring

Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet (I use parchment paper, not greased). They spread a bit. Bake in 350 deg. oven for 12-15 minutes. Don't overcook, or they get too hard. Makes 2 dozen.
They're fairly soft and cake-like, but they satisfy my snacking sweet tooth.

Homemade soup:
Start with a couple of tablespoons of cooking oil in a big pot, with medium heat.
Slice and chop some vegetables, whatever you like, and throw them in the pot, for example:
celery
red pepper
carrot
zucchini
mushrooms
Stir them around---coat with the oil, till they are a bit "sauteed," partly cooked and hot.
Add the water, some salt, some spices if you like (oregano, bay leaf, cumin, etc.)
Add some crushed tomatoes (canned) and a small can of tomato sauce (I get Del Monte which doesn't have onions or garlic).
You can add some frozen veggies too, like a bit of corn, peas, broccoli.
Simmer until done.
You have to play with the proportions: too much liquid and it tastes "watery."
Variations: omit the tomatoes and sauce, and add small pieces of pre-cooked chicken; or add a half a can of black beans or pinto beans, some mild chili powder.

Anyway, I'm sure you get the idea---"put what you've got in the pot." If you make a big enough quantity, then it lasts 3-4 days in the fridge. Take out enough for a bowl and microwave it 3 minutes----Lunch.

Kind of a long post--should have put it in the recipe forum!

Calli

Ah, someone who can eat oranges! new
      #322835 - 01/21/08 08:22 AM
Jordy

You eat them everyday?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 260 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4632

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review