All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Definition of "stable"?
      #321821 - 01/07/08 10:58 AM
SherryJ

Reged: 12/22/07
Loc: Idaho

Could someone please define "stable"? I have been increasing the fiber gradually and living on almost nothing but soluble fiber for almost two weeks now and I'm still having problems. BM's are nowhere near solid and,in fact, it was back to diarrhea this AM. Gas is also a major problem even with the fiber and peppermint caps. Last night I even tried Beano and it only delayed the onset of gas. Do I just continue to increase the fiber until BM's become normal? I'm currently taking 2 1/2 tsp three or four times a day. I know this is nowhere near the max but I guess I'm looking for some reassurance. The only upside to all of this is that I'm eating so little that I'm losing weight! I'd appreciate any insight anyone can offer! Thank you...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Definition of "stable"? new
      #321822 - 01/07/08 11:19 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I have replied to a simillar post before but I have two types of stable..

There is the stable where I'm eatting nothing but safe foods and sf and that sort of thing and having zero problems. Maybe the ocassional gas but not usually in pain or D

Then there is a stable that I sometimes get and it's great until I overdose on bad things and end up getting sick again but there are times when I can eat anything I want with zero problems.. Sometimes I can actually eat pizza..

but those are just my opinions.

#321824 - 01/07/08 11:36 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I posted this question before and got very few responses, even though several people on the board claim to be "stable". In the book Eating for IBS, Heather claims that she rarely thinks about her own IBS anymore because she has figured out what she can and can't eat. To me, that would be heaven - to have so few symptoms that you can actually "forget" that you have IBS.

I have been on this diet close to two months now, and I am up to 8 grams of Acacia fiber a day (I can't take any more because it gives me terrible gas). I think I am ALMOST stable. I had a D attack on New Year's day (brought on by a combination of anxiety about going back to work the next day and a little bit of cheating [unsafe cookies and chocolate] the night before), took some Immodium and ended up C for the next 3 days. It seems to go this way - I'm "stable" for several days and then I have D and then 2-3 days of C, and back to "stable" again. I'm hoping that at some point I will just able to STAY stable.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#321832 - 01/07/08 12:51 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I think "stable" is different for everyone. For someone who could hardly leave the bathroom because of constant D stable probably means not having D anymore. But this person could still suffer from bloating and pain.
I am a "C" prone to bloating and pain. For me stable means being regular and have no pain and bloating. I want my stomach to look flat and not change sizes during the day. If I put on a pair of loose pants I want them to fit loose in the evening as well. I want to be able to wear whatever I like and not having to worry about if my stomach looks big in it. I'm not stable at all but wish to get there one day.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#321836 - 01/07/08 01:01 PM

Unregistered

For me stable would mean, not having to worry that 5 minutes after I finish eating and 3 times in between meals I'll need the bathroom and not having to worry about having gas.

Previous discussions new
      #321839 - 01/07/08 01:37 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Like clockwork this question is asked every few months

Here are a few of previous threads that might give you some insights
What is your definition of "stable"?
What the heck is stable and where do you find it?
Stabilzed
about being stable ... response and question What is stablization? Really need some info please
You will find other informative threads if you search the board.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#321864 - 01/07/08 04:08 PM
SherryJ

Reged: 12/22/07
Loc: Idaho

Thank you all for the insight and information!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 467 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1912

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review