All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Re: Q about sugar and yogurt new
      #322450 - 01/16/08 08:56 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Oops should have checked this..
Does this mean neither of you have tried making yogurt, either dairy or nut based?

--------------------
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Q about sugar and yogurt - K2 new
      #322456 - 01/16/08 09:39 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

K2, I made regular cow milk yogurt and it came out great! Even my husband who eats yogurt a lot liked it (with blueberries added to sweeten it). I actually tried eating a little bit and it tasted good. I didn't feel any worse after eating it, but that might be because I was feeling pretty bad and bloated to begin with, with or without yogurt. So I can't say if it affected me in any way. Once my gut settles I will probably try it again.
Here's how I made it - I microwaved 32oz of milk to simmering temperature and let it cool down to 110 F. It's important to heat the milk because otherwise it may not ferment properly. Then I took 1/4 cup of store-bought, full-fat yogurt (I used low-fat milk) because this kind doesn't have pectin which might hinder yogurt production. I mixed it with a little bit of milk and added it to the rest and put it a plastic container with a lid. Then I filled a hot water bottle with hot water. I took a thick blanket, wrapped around the bottle and then sat the container on top and wrapped around one more time. Waited 24 hours and then without stirring I put the container in the fridge to settle. Then it's OK to stir. That way the yogurt was fairly thick and had a really good flavor.
I've never tried this with non-dairy milk but I think it should work. I would just make sure that particular type of milk has enough sugar (or add a little) so that the bacteria can feed on it.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: SarahT and Zara new
      #322485 - 01/16/08 01:38 PM

Unregistered

K2,
Hi. I'm so sorry I have no info on the home made yogurt. But I was told it's not supposed to do our stomachs any harm, in fact it's supposed to help the stomach. I also know that my mom used to make homemade yogurt with a machine when we were young and she really liked it. Good luck with this purchase, my feeling is that if you like yogurt you will really like this machine.
I am slowly getting convinced that I should read Dr Sarno's book mindbody prescription-I'm picking it up today after work. I was sooo sick yesterday and knowing that I had a meeting this morning in desperation I started talking to my stomach-telling it I don't need it's help with all the stressful things going on in my life-like for instance my son's friend just borrowed our car (it's my car, but he uses it) and bashed it up & other stuff.... and at today's meeting which usually pushes me over the edge...I had a good experience with no incidents. I admit, I had 2 immodiums last night, but in the past having immodiums in the evening did not help me for the next day.
So I'm on chicken soup and baked apple and banana today. I'm trying to help my stomach with kind foods but also asking it to mind it's own business.
Maybe we have to start thinking in this way, realizing that we have a weak spot-our stomach-and when we are experiencing stressful things or even not, just plain every day stuff, our stomach jumps right in to save us, gets us all involved with pain, discomfort, the runs, we start trying different diets, thinking about bathrooms, etc.. taking our minds and emotions off from whatever it is it has to deal with. Frankly, it's of no help and is ruining my life. Don't you agree?
I actually called Dr. Sarno & he returned my call. He asked me to first read his book and then, if I think I can be open to his method, will he see me.
If you are interested in my progress with the book I will keep you posted.
Have a great evening guys. (It's after 4 here-NY time)
Sarah T.

Re: To Zara Re: SCD new
      #322486 - 01/16/08 01:43 PM

Unregistered

Kim

I'm trying to stay the line. I'm so glad to hear it took you 2 weeks to feel better. That means there's still hope. Were you D or C? Did you do any work like Dr. Sarno's method or did you just strictly follow the SCDiet?

Re: To Zara Re: SCD...felt worse! new
      #322499 - 01/16/08 04:47 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Yup, I felt terrible about 3 days into the diet I was following. It lasted about 3-4 days. Had achiness, stomach pains like crazy!, extremely tired, and bad D. I realized from doing my research that I was having a fungal die-off, often known as Herxheimer's response. That was a key indicator to me that my problems were fungal related. And, when I felt so much better changing my diet, another clue. The diet I followed is similar to SCD, was actually an antifungal diet/program where I took natural antifungals at the same time. I was a D, not a C. I realized during the first 2 weeks that my symptoms must have had a fungal etiology because once I quit sugar/grains/yeast(on which fungi thrive and need to survive), I felt waaaaaay better after 2 weeks. I still need to watch what I eat. I am now on a modified diet reducing sugar and grains, and absolutely no yeast if I can help it. Causes too much gas, some D, and pain. I still take my natural antifungals for maintenence. That's why I say, give it longer than a few days. Good luck!

Re: SarahT new
      #322546 - 01/17/08 08:58 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

I was sooo sick yesterday and knowing that I had a meeting this morning in desperation I started talking to my stomach-telling it I don't need it's help with all the stressful things going on in my life-like for instance my son's friend just borrowed our car (it's my car, but he uses it) and bashed it up & other stuff.... and at today's meeting which usually pushes me over the edge.

Sarah, so sorry. Hope things settle down soon. The book sounds like something I should check out too...as I have found no pattern to food and IBS.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#322630 - 01/18/08 11:46 AM

Unregistered

I started reading the book mindbody prescription and I plan to finish over the weekend. I really am buying into his theory-it makes so much sense and I think we could beat this thing! I pray! Lots of luck & get the book!

Re: To Zara Re: SCD...felt worse! new
      #322631 - 01/18/08 11:47 AM

Unregistered

Kim, thank you. That's great that you figured out what you have! I'm pretty sure Dr. Sarno's method will work for me. I'm giving it plenty of time and I'm committed to seeing it through till the end. Have a wonderful weekend.

#322750 - 01/20/08 07:21 AM

Unregistered

Jordy,
I urge you to read Dr. Sarno's book. Since I started reading it, past Thursday, my skin has not itched. It's hard work though. You have to totally accept his theory. It makes so much sense to me and I immediately started doing the excercises he instructs in his book. Normally a few days before my period my skin goes crazy. I'm a few days before my period and my skin isn't acting up. I find it amazing, and if I wouldn't be experiencing this myself I wouldn't believe it. My stomach seems to be settling down, but I can't really know for sure, cuz enough time has not passed, but I sure have high hopes. Good luck to you and may we all experience healing beyong our greatest hopes and dreams!!
hugs,
Sarah T.

#322753 - 01/20/08 07:53 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I just requested this book from the library. If I like it, maybe I'll have to invest in it. It is wonderful that you are finding relief outside of your IBS. I just hope it does something for the IBS too!
Thanks again for sharing this with us.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 572 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35046

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review