All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Re: To Zara Re: SCD new
      #322185 - 01/11/08 10:33 AM

Unregistered

Zarah,
I'm reading the SCDiet website and it seems results don't show so soon, but, hey....I'll take early results..LOL But truly, this diet seems to take lots of patience. My BMs are still way too loose almost like a babies (even smells like an infant's . I was starting to get concerned but after reading the "frequently asked questions" on the IBDiet site, someone describes what we're doing and it is basically feeding ourselves foods that we feed babies and we are starting from scratch again. So, now it makes sense to me and I'm not concerned, just holding on tight, fighting the cravings (yes! they are back again, thank Gd) and keeping on the straight and narrow!!
SarahT
Want to wish you tons of success on this diet! Maybe IBSers really do see results quicker than IBDers. I sure hope so!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Zara and Sarah new
      #322187 - 01/11/08 11:16 AM

Unregistered

Jordy,

I tried a GF (gluten free) diet a while ago with no relief. I tried Heathers Diet and was left with Gas and still too frequent BMs.
I am not underweight, but I'm very very skinny. It's strange I dropped in size but not in weight. No clue what that means. My fingers and toes are always cold and I know I'm just too skinny.
I am starting to get a little frustrated with the limited food choices but I am bent on sticking it out. I must find a solution because otherwise I dont have a life.
I make soups and have it 1nce or twice a day. Chicken soup and squash & carrot soups. I also cook carrots in this fashion. coconut oil and carrots and honey. I cut the carrots into very thin slices and cook on low flame for a few hours-checking all the time that it doesnt burn. It cooks into tangy like candy. Really nice snack, side dish or anything dish. I eat fish or chicken or turkey for lunch & dinner with baked butternut squash, or cooked zucchini in sauted onion & garlic and salt-no water added cuz zucchini makes its own juice. I haven't tried the other squashes yet like cabucci and spaghetti etc..I love yams so the butternut sq. makes me feel like Im eating yams. this last time I cut it in cubes and added some coconut oil and honey and it baked real sweet and yummy. I eat lots of cake (home baked) and apple sauce and bananas. I know it's limited but Im doing the best I can not to get crazy from it and focusing on what it could be like to be normal after 15 years of dreaming of bathrooms!!!!
I did not buy the yogurt machine cuz in the past I could not handle the taste of yogurt. But I did buy the almond milk machine and im looking forward to making it this weekend. But I am reading that the yogurt is supposed to be real good for our condition so I might try it, but won't buy the machine till I know I can stomach it.
lots of luck to u.
Sarah T

Re: Zara and Sarah new
      #322196 - 01/11/08 02:22 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Jordy, I didn't really want to write about it here until I have some definite results but since you asked, yes, I did try eating the yogurt (regular, homemade). I had a little bit today for breakfast. However, as described by the diet, I'm staying away from milk, ice cream, etc.

As far as stuff to eat Sarah pretty much summed it up. I eat fruit, vegetables, chicken - made into soups, steamed, baked. Lots of squash. For example, today I ate - br - yogurt with fruit and honey, lunch - grilled chicken with steamed vegetables, dinner - baked spaghetti squash, snacks - bananas, carrots, nuts, a few dried cranberries. If you look at the recipes is seems like there is a lot to choose from.

PRobiotics - I'm still taking it, now I just take 1/2 pocket a day because I felt like I started with too high a dose.

GF - yes, I tried it before and it seems to work somewhat at the beginning and then it didn't. But I think it's also because I started allowing more junk into my diet that was GF but still preservatives and additives (candy, etc). But I did eat dairy on GF diet (just yogurt and cheese) and it didn't seem to bother me. That was before I really committed to Heather's diet.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#322197 - 01/11/08 02:24 PM
Zara

Sarah, I also hope results come sooner for IBSers. I can't stick to a diet for a year if I don't see any results! I don't know but I think that after about 2wks there should be at least some improvements, such as less gas, less bloat, etc. As I said before, I'll just listen to my body and play it by ear.
I made some almond cookies today so that I'll have some comfort food, lol

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#322323 - 01/14/08 12:49 PM

Unregistered

Zara,
I hope the almond cookies digest nicely in you. I got real gassy after them, so all the best of luck. I'd love to hear updates from you re: yogurt. I bought the almond milk (soy milk) machine and I tried it last night and it made it with pieces-I could not drink it. I tried calling the company and got voicemail. I do hope I figure this thing out because I miss my almond milk.
The interesting thing that I'm struggling with now is that as soon as I went off acacia I got less gassy so I don't know at this point if my infrequent gassiness is as a result of no acacia powder or this diet. I guess I have to be patient and wait till time tells me more.
Also, my BMs are really weird these days. Not very often as in past by I once I go I cant seem to finish, even worse than in the past. No matter how long I sit there seems to be no end...and too soft, too soft. I started drinking (sipping) water all day again, today I had almost 4 cups already, hoping this might help.
You know, maybe it's the cake I'm eating, I eat about 1 7"pan of cake a day-snack it throughout the day." Maybe I'll try tomorrow not eating any cake. If this works I'll be sad cuz I love it and it really satisfies my sweet tooth, but I'll be happier having normal BMs. What a life we lead-trials, trials, trials....I feel like a Scientists..how about you?
How are you feeling today?
Sarah T

#322324 - 01/14/08 01:03 PM
Zara

Sarah,

to be honest, I'm not so sure about this diet anymore. I think I'll give it another day but I might throw in the towel. I've been feeling worse then ever. I only tried a bit of yogurt one day so I don't think that tiny bit of dairy affected it much. I've been very bloated and gassy and constipated. This was also before I tried those cookies (btw - very yummy). I'm in so much pain . I think my gut probably needs some carbs/SF as a "buffer" with my meals. I've been really careful, cooking and steaming my veggies and I only got worse. So, like I said, I'll see how it goes but I might start eating other carbs again tomorrow or the day after.
I really do hope it works out for you. I'd say try it without the cake for a day or two and see how you feel and how your BMs are. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#322328 - 01/14/08 01:43 PM

Unregistered

oooh poor thing. I'm so sorry you aren't doing well. I'm not doing too well this afternoon either, but I'm not in pain. I do hope you feel better soon. It's hard for us to compare notes because you're C and I'm D, unless your constipation is a new thing for you?
Hugs

#322329 - 01/14/08 02:24 PM
Zara

No it's not a new thing, I've always been a C. I think the SCD might generally work better for D because I think it's a symptom of the other diseases it's supposed to cure (Crohn's, celiacs, colitis). But I'm glad I tried it anyway.
I wonder what went wrong with your yogurt . Maybe they use different bacteria in the yogurt you used as a starter? Did you let it culture for 24 hours like the diet suggests or did you culture it according to manuf. directions? You're right, contact the company back and hopefully they should be able to help you figure that out.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Update on my New Quest new
      #322340 - 01/14/08 04:04 PM
SherryJ

Reged: 12/22/07
Loc: Idaho

Thank you Sarah for posting this information. I was having an awful time with gas and after reading your post, I decided to stop the Acacia fiber and go back to Benefiber. No changes so I stopped taking the soluble fiber supplements altogether. Instant relief! It's been five days now and gas has been non-existent! After visiting the SCD sites, I've decided to go back to the low carb diet I had been on for a number of years for weight loss. Apparently my body just doesn't deal well with carbs. I will continue to practice a number of the things that I've learned on this site such as eating smaller amounts of food more often and not letting myself get too hungry. I'm also using the Hypnotherapy Program and my mental state is improving daily. Thank you again for bringing this other way of dealing with IBS to my attention.

#322352 - 01/14/08 06:46 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Just wondering Sarah and Zara...how long have each of you been on this diet? Are either of you feeling tired, achy, flu-like symptoms, or other new symptoms that appeared since beginning?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 429 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35054

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review