All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Update on my New Quest
      #321817 - 01/07/08 09:56 AM

Unregistered

To all my friends on this site:
I promised to share with you what I'm up to. So here goes. Briefly, so that you know why I'm on a new quest, I started Heather's diet a few months ago and started seeing improvement right away. Diarhea improved, but urgency and constant going was still an issue. As the urgency was diminishing, I developed a new syndrome-GAS. To the point that I couldn't go anywhere. I started speaking to you guys, and gleaned from some of you that the culprit might be the Acacia powder. I decided I'd stop slowly, but after my first morning of no Acacia and the day went by with barely any gas I decided to quit cold turkey. I've had hardly any gas since. But I wasn't satisfied with this yet, because I'm still going too often and still feel little urgency during the day. At this point I decided that I need a coach to help me figure out my specific diet. My friend recommended I speak to her friend who has crohn's disease and has it under control with diet. I had a lengthy conversation with her and she started me on a diet based on the book "Breaking the vicious cycle". Basically I'm eating only very safe foods for 2 weeks and then we will start introducing new foods one at a time & she claims my body will talk to me after this 2 weeks of eliminating all possible triggers from my body. I urge all of you to check out the following sites: www.breakingtheviciouscycle.com & go to support group links
www.scdrecipe.com
www.scdiet.org
www.nomorecrohns.com
www.digestivewellness.com
My personal 2 week diet regimen is as follows. This is specifically for me, but I'm listing my rules for all of you so that you get an idea of what I'm trying to do.
Absolutely no starches no wheat no sugar no oats no spelt no quinoa, no buckwheat no soy
Cakes & cookies and crackers made of Almond flour (recipes found in recipe book sold @ www.digestivewllness.com. or baked goods can be purchased too - very expensive though)all ingredients for these cakes, crackers and cookies can be bought at this site too. I haven't gone through the entire recipe book so I don't know if the crackers are there but I'm pretty sure the cookies are.
Almond butter (w/ no additives)
Mint tea, Chamomile tea
all squashes (cooked only)
Carrots (cooked only)
onion (cooked only)
garlic (cooked only)
honey
almond milk (homemade only-machine can be purchased at www.digestivewellness.com) I bought the machine but haven't tried it yet, but plan to immediately.
avacado
banana
poland spring distilled water only (haven't found it yet-but only checked out pathmark)
any oil in baking
only coconut oil for sauteing
cooked or baked apples-unsweetened (natural) applesauce OK too.
eggs-only in chicken soup. Boil soup @ high heat and throw in beat whole egg until cooks into fluffy egg.
No spices only salt
chicken (white and dark)
turkey (white and dark)
Any fish (only fresh, no canned fish)
mayonaise (only home made-or purchased @ www.digestivewellness.com) haven't made it yet but plan to soon.
Basically, I've been depleting my body of oils/fats, which was obvious to me as I thinned out immediately after a week or 2 on Heather's diet. And I was left with bad Gas. She believes that most of our problem is in our mind, meaning that when we have a lot of stressful things going on, too much for our minds to handle, our body sort of takes away oxygen from parts of our body to enable the mind to deal with it better, causing the areas with the depleted oxygen to start hurting or not working properly. If we can teach our minds that we are ok and don't need the body's help-thank you very much-we will allow our bodies to be freed up of all pain and discomfort and dysfunction. She therefor strongly suggested that I purchase the book "Mind Body Prescription" by Dr. Sarno. I plan to buy the book, get famiiliar with the concepts he believes in and then maybe indulge in taking his course given in New York City(very expensive).
She suggested that I don't take any probiotics for now, since I I'm IBS and not IBD. She also told me that people with IBD must be on a very restrictive diet for at least a year before they could start introducing new foods.
I think this is a good synopsis of what I'm eating for the next 2 weeks. I wish you all loads of luck and feel good days and weeks and months and years to come.
Hugs,
SarahT

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Update on my New Quest new
      #321820 - 01/07/08 10:57 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hi Sarah, so for how long have you been on this diet? It seems pretty restrictive for the first two weeks but you can do it! Hopefully you'll be able to add a lot more food afterwards!
When you talk about gas, do you also meat bloating, or just flatulence? Was there pain associated with your gas?
Good luck to you, and let us know your progress!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#321827 - 01/07/08 11:49 AM

Unregistered

Zara,

I CAN do it.:) I'm on the diet since Saturday night. Can't report progress yet, too soon.
Only flatulence. No pain and no bloating. I'm keeping my prayers strong, cuz I see improvement and praying that it just gets better and stays that way. (so tired of the "oooh I feel better-few days later-back to square one, over and over again.)
I'll keep you posted.
Hope you are doing well and I see everyone figured the potato thing out without my help

#321931 - 01/08/08 09:34 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I own the book "the vicious cycle", but it was too overwhelming for me. I also visited her website and saw the list of no and yes foods.

I hope it helps you. I don't think I can afford to remove anything else from my diet at this point.

Quote:

She believes that most of our problem is in our mind, meaning that when we have a lot of stressful things going on, too much for our minds to handle, our body sort of takes away oxygen from parts of our body to enable the mind to deal with it better, causing the areas with the depleted oxygen to start hurting or not working properly. If we can teach our minds that we are ok and don't need the body's help-thank you very much-we will allow our bodies to be freed up of all pain and discomfort and dysfunction.

Is this your friend that is saying this? I'm not sure how the special diet would support the mind theory. Is she saying you will eventually have a more normal diet after the mind catches up?

Please stay in touch, Sarah. I was so tempted to do the Specific Carbohydrate Diet....but it just seemed so expensive and so very limiting. Stressful to try and find all the special ingredients.

Quote:

She also told me that people with IBD must be on a very restrictive diet for at least a year before they could start introducing new foods.

Is this true for IBS people too? Why no probiotics? Also, no Acacia anymore? Are you taking any type of supplement, like digestive enzymes or anything? Please, please keep us updated and I give you so much respect for being able to do this. Doesn't she have a special recipe for homemade yogurt too? Are you going to eat this too, even though it's dairy? The machine to make it seems expensive.

I must admit, I don't really understand how to do this diet! Is the friend with Crohns following this SCD?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

PS new
      #321933 - 01/08/08 09:45 AM
Jordy

Can you post an example of a daily meal plan for me? Did you buy any of the prepared foods or are you gonna make everything yourself?

Why does it require making your own almond milk? Is there something in triggering in the store bought kind?

Blessings,
Beth

--------------------

Re: PS new
      #321942 - 01/08/08 10:45 AM
Zara

Sarah, I just notice you said you're planning on buying those books you mentioned in your post. What I've been doing (after spending so much money on books that turned out not to be that useful) is getting them from my library. I read it and if I decide that I would like to have it for reference then I go ahead and buy it. That's what I did with the EFI book and now I have my own copy. I've been spoiled by having a really well-stocked library, though. They have both of the books you mentioned.
Stay strong . It's hard but only 2 weeks! Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#321962 - 01/08/08 01:14 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Sarah,
I am also one who has been helped by following a similar diet. The lo-carb diet/SCD may be working because it kills the overgrowth of fungus/yeast that may be in your body. Fungus thrives and needs sugar/grains/yeast to survive. Have you been feeling any worse since starting the diet...flu-like symptoms?-lethargy-achiness? I agree that it is good to wait to take the probiotics, but I think after a while you should be good to go. I found they helped me tremendously, and still do. I recommend them for those who aren't sick as well, as the flora balance in our gut is responsible for much of our health.

The diet is not a lifetime punishment ... only until our body restores itself to health from all the over processed foods/sugar we eat, antibiotics, birth control pill use, etc. I was on a strict diet for 2 weeks, as well, my symptoms dramatically reduced, I then maintained a phase 2 of the diet for awhile introducing some foods back, and still now follow a modified diet of limiting grains and sugar. It is not expensive really, but it does take preparation and thought because you can't just open a can or box of something to eat.

Good luck to you. You may also want to check out www.knowthecause.com as you do your research, particularly the FAQ section. The diet there may be a little less restrictive for those who are wary of the SCD, but still follows the same principle. Take care....
Kim

#321968 - 01/08/08 02:19 PM

Unregistered

Jordy,
I'll try to answer all your questions to the best of my ability although Im new to this, so don't be shy to tell me I wasn't clear or you need more info.
My friend is telling me this and she has crohns disease. Yes, she believes that eventually one can resume normal eating habits (I suspect though that certain foods will remain no nos, but at least we'll know which they are.)At this point our bodies are so traumatized from our IBS symptoms that we have to work on both fronts. eliminating all possible triggers for 2 weeks (IBSers only. IBDs for at least a year) and then slowly, methodically introducing new foods. But also eliminating anything that doesnt feel right as we go along even in the first 2 weeks. for instance I was eating the almond crackers & cookies and I had gas that evening, so I'm eliminating anything baked with almond flour. I put all ingredients and cookies that I bought in the freezer for now. I'm certain I'll be able to eat it at a later date.
I know it's not an easy diet. I live with my parents now and my mom is so helpful, this makes things so much easier for me. I also have this friend that did this diet and is feeling wonderful now. I have to ask her if she is on a basically normal diet now, I know she hasn't taken Dr. Sarno's course and I think she thinks she should but can't afford it and probably believes she'd be special diet free if she would. not sure though, so don't quote me.
IBS people, according to my friend should be able to start introducing new foods after 2 weeks and the body will tell us if it's something we cant tolerate. This would then make this food a no no for probably ever, but at least we will know to stay away and we'll be ok.
My friend is suggesting that I don't take any probiotics now. This doesnt mean that we wont add it to my diet at a later time. She's trying to get my body to talk to me and since probiotics helps us, we might not get the response we're looking for. I dropped Acacia on my own because I was so gassy. I'm no longer gassy in that way. This doesnt mean that I have no gas ever, but at least now I can go to work and not have to hold it in ALL day!
I don't know if she's still following the diet but I suspect she is. We haven't had time to discuss her as we are working on me. But I'll ask her. She did tell me she has a piece of cake (pistachio, yummy) and mint tea every morning so I suspect she is.
Meantime on day three, I'm still going to the bathroom too often-not D but still not the best consistency, but I'm keeping my spirits and hopes up. I wasn't comfortable with the bread/sugar thing. My mind says-unhealthy, if you know what I mean. But this is such a personal decision it's hard to even discuss it with others because everyone sort of customizes their own diet for themselves. But I'll be more than happy to keep you posted on my progress and answer any questions you have..
hugs
Sarah T

#321970 - 01/08/08 02:30 PM

Unregistered

Beth,
I bought a cake and almond cookies and almond crackers. I bought the recipe book and will start making things on my own as the ready made is soooooo expensive. But the ingredients i bought through the site cuz I dont know where else to buy them. There's a cake that is not in the book and I could give you the recipe if you are intersted. I started getting gassy after the cookies and crackers so I'm dropping them for now.
My friend claims that there might be stuff in there thats not good and the best would be home made-pure. I'm not taking any chances so I bought the machine, the almonds and I hope to make some starting tomorrow. You could blanch the almonds on your own, this should be cheaper. But overall it's an expensive venture. But I see it this way, I've spent thousands on Chinese medicine, Homepath visits, Doctor visits, allergy tests..you name it.. I want to live. That's my goal here.
example of daily meal plan
Breakfast:
slice or 2 of cake (recipe to follow if you want it)
mint tea
snack at 10:
banana
lunch:
salmon or other home baked or cooked fish
vegetable dish with onion or garlic (carrots or zucchini or other squash dish that I prepared the night before)
snack:
banana or applesauce
dinner:
chicken soup with egg mixed in on high boil(i love it)
chicker or turkey
veg dish again with onion and/or garlic
snack:
slice of cake
mint tea
I sip water throughout the day. Small sips. I don't run to pee every minute these days.
ta ta for now,
Sarah T

Q about sugar and yogurt new
      #321987 - 01/08/08 07:18 PM
Zara

Sarah, I have a question, I've been poking around the websites you provided a it and I thought you really have to restrict sugars for the first two weeks. So you can have a cake for breakfast (assuming you're eating one of the almond ones)? Oh, that would be great, that would make me feel more encouraged to try it too, haha! I'm gonna go to the library tomorrow and get the book so that I can give it a good read.
Also, do you eat the yogurt SCD recommends? Or do you stick to soy or no yogurt?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Q about sugar and yogurt new
      #321993 - 01/08/08 09:19 PM

Unregistered

Zara,
for now, absolutely no sugar. the cake has some cinamin and honey and pistachio butter and oil and eggs and their almond extract. I can not eat the cakes made with almond flour at this time. We suspect its giving me gas so it's off the list for now. I am not on the yogurt yet, but i think it's because i told her that i don't like yogurt. It could be it would be ok for me to eat it or maybe even benefit me, I dont' know. I just know that i can't stomach yogurt. No soy for now either. Again, this diet is custom made for me.
Good luck. I do feel so good each morning getting up to a piece of cake and mint tea. Wish it were coffee, but happy this way too.

#321994 - 01/08/08 09:24 PM

Unregistered

That is such a great idea! I will check my library out hopefully this sunday.
I was at a friends daughter's wedding tonight, lots of classmates that I haven't seen in years were there and everyone wanted to know why a skinny thing like me is not eating. The waiter kept offering me portions and I had to say no, it was nuts! But I pulled through, laughed the whole time and had a great time and didnt need the bathroom once! I ate a full dinner before I left so I wasn't hungry. It's possible, tough, but possible.
thanks for your support and well wishes!
Sarah T

To Kim Re: PS new
      #321999 - 01/08/08 09:31 PM

Unregistered

Thanks so much for your encouraging words. I'll check out the website you recommend.
I developed a lower back pain only 2 days after starting the diet and I'm killing it on my own with excercise and mind work, but I think it came from stress. I had a bout of D tonight right after my SCD dinner but after this small bout I spent 4 hours at a wedding, danced, had a great time and had no incidents and still feeling strong. I didn't even take immodium, which I was debating before I left for the wedding whether to take or not and in the end I just put it in my pocketbook for safety and it's still there thank Gd. In the past a D incident lasted all evening, which brought sadness and feeling sorry for myself.
Praise the Lord! I am happy tonight. A good reason to celebrate!

#322001 - 01/09/08 03:37 AM
Zara

Quote:

I was at a friends daughter's wedding tonight, lots of classmates that I haven't seen in years were there and everyone wanted to know why a skinny thing like me is not eating. The waiter kept offering me portions and I had to say no, it was nuts! But I pulled through, laughed the whole time and had a great time and didnt need the bathroom once!

Well done, you! These kinds of gatherings are so tempting but you really did a good job!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#322066 - 01/09/08 03:29 PM
Zara

Sarah, I had a chance to read the book today (briefly, the vicious cycle one) and the author said that it's recommended for people to stay on this diet for at least a year, without changing it, before the alter it. Yet you said in your original post that your friend advised you to try incorporating new things only after two weeks. Is this because the book is mainly targeted to IBD and Crohns and we're "just" IBS?

I have to say I'm really tempted to try this diet. I kind of tried following it today for some meals but I know that I'd have to give it a full shot. I probably wouldn't stop my probiotics, however, because I feel that if bacterial imbalance is the problem then the bad bacteria should be starved off by the diet, and the good guys should be replenished.

I'm also trying to make the yogurt the book describes. Even if I decide not to eat it my hubby will so no loss there (unless it doesn't turn out good ).
The diet just sounds so encouraging that I think tomorrow I'll try to follow it properly. I do have a few social things in the next couple days (dinners, relatives) but even if I don't manage to stick to it at least I will get my feet wet and start again. Two weeks is not too bad, I'm just a little afraid that I'd have to do it longer before I see results and start incorporating new foods. But I'll play it by ear!
How are you doing?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#322083 - 01/09/08 06:33 PM

Unregistered

thank you. I think i'm turning robotic...scary. I almost don't feel the temptation, really. I hope this isnt permanent Whats life without temptation...lol. Huge tThanks for encouraging me.

#322086 - 01/09/08 06:37 PM

Unregistered

Zara,
I think so but not sure. I haven't read the book yet. Just following her instruction. She's got lots of experience, she's been helping friends for many years and has been successful. I do plan to read it though.
Just a note, my friend feels strongly that unless you're able to really stick it out and commit it might be wise to wait till a time that you can. My son is getting married in 6 weeks and she wanted me to wait till after the wedding. But I convinced her that I can commit and focus on myself even while preparations are under way. I'm also already thinking that I'm going to have to be on the diet for more than 2 weeks before starting to introduce new things, but I won't count chickens before they hatch. One day at a time at this point.
lots of luck to you.

To Zara Re: SCD new
      #322173 - 01/11/08 07:04 AM

Unregistered

Have you made a decision on starting this diet? Hope you're doing well.
Last night my skin was a lot less itchy... wonder if the diet is starting to have an effect....Please Gd let it be so...
Sarah T

Re: To Zara Re: SCD new
      #322174 - 01/11/08 07:22 AM
Zara

Yes, I decided to try it anyway. I'll just be really careful eating out and with relatives. Yesterday was my first proper day so it's still too early to tell. Plus, I just got my period this morning so I'm bloated and in pain anyway.
I have a luncheon to attend to today but I already scooped out the menu and I think I should be OK. There are eating out guidelines on the SCD website so I will follow those.

Glad to know your skin is getting better! I think it could be the diet, you've been on it for almost a week now so it could show .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Zara and Sarah new
      #322177 - 01/11/08 08:11 AM
Jordy

I just don't understand how you gals are finding foods to eat. I'm so scared to try this diet as I am very underweight right now.

Is it helping your GI symptoms yet? How long you gonna be on it? Did you buy the yogurt and "milk" maker yet or aren't you gonna do the dairy....like that special kind of cheese they mentioned (which I cannot find anywhere)

Zara, what are you gonna eat at this lunch? I just really admire both of you for commiting to this diet. It looks so overwhelming to me. Did either of you eat GF before doing this? Just try eating the Gluten free diet along with some of H's guidelines? If so, still no relief?

Zara, did you stop the probiotic you ordered?

--------------------

#322185 - 01/11/08 10:33 AM

Unregistered

Zarah,
I'm reading the SCDiet website and it seems results don't show so soon, but, hey....I'll take early results..LOL But truly, this diet seems to take lots of patience. My BMs are still way too loose almost like a babies (even smells like an infant's . I was starting to get concerned but after reading the "frequently asked questions" on the IBDiet site, someone describes what we're doing and it is basically feeding ourselves foods that we feed babies and we are starting from scratch again. So, now it makes sense to me and I'm not concerned, just holding on tight, fighting the cravings (yes! they are back again, thank Gd) and keeping on the straight and narrow!!
SarahT
Want to wish you tons of success on this diet! Maybe IBSers really do see results quicker than IBDers. I sure hope so!

Re: Zara and Sarah new
      #322187 - 01/11/08 11:16 AM

Unregistered

Jordy,

I tried a GF (gluten free) diet a while ago with no relief. I tried Heathers Diet and was left with Gas and still too frequent BMs.
I am not underweight, but I'm very very skinny. It's strange I dropped in size but not in weight. No clue what that means. My fingers and toes are always cold and I know I'm just too skinny.
I am starting to get a little frustrated with the limited food choices but I am bent on sticking it out. I must find a solution because otherwise I dont have a life.
I make soups and have it 1nce or twice a day. Chicken soup and squash & carrot soups. I also cook carrots in this fashion. coconut oil and carrots and honey. I cut the carrots into very thin slices and cook on low flame for a few hours-checking all the time that it doesnt burn. It cooks into tangy like candy. Really nice snack, side dish or anything dish. I eat fish or chicken or turkey for lunch & dinner with baked butternut squash, or cooked zucchini in sauted onion & garlic and salt-no water added cuz zucchini makes its own juice. I haven't tried the other squashes yet like cabucci and spaghetti etc..I love yams so the butternut sq. makes me feel like Im eating yams. this last time I cut it in cubes and added some coconut oil and honey and it baked real sweet and yummy. I eat lots of cake (home baked) and apple sauce and bananas. I know it's limited but Im doing the best I can not to get crazy from it and focusing on what it could be like to be normal after 15 years of dreaming of bathrooms!!!!
I did not buy the yogurt machine cuz in the past I could not handle the taste of yogurt. But I did buy the almond milk machine and im looking forward to making it this weekend. But I am reading that the yogurt is supposed to be real good for our condition so I might try it, but won't buy the machine till I know I can stomach it.
lots of luck to u.
Sarah T

#322196 - 01/11/08 02:22 PM
Zara

Jordy, I didn't really want to write about it here until I have some definite results but since you asked, yes, I did try eating the yogurt (regular, homemade). I had a little bit today for breakfast. However, as described by the diet, I'm staying away from milk, ice cream, etc.

As far as stuff to eat Sarah pretty much summed it up. I eat fruit, vegetables, chicken - made into soups, steamed, baked. Lots of squash. For example, today I ate - br - yogurt with fruit and honey, lunch - grilled chicken with steamed vegetables, dinner - baked spaghetti squash, snacks - bananas, carrots, nuts, a few dried cranberries. If you look at the recipes is seems like there is a lot to choose from.

PRobiotics - I'm still taking it, now I just take 1/2 pocket a day because I felt like I started with too high a dose.

GF - yes, I tried it before and it seems to work somewhat at the beginning and then it didn't. But I think it's also because I started allowing more junk into my diet that was GF but still preservatives and additives (candy, etc). But I did eat dairy on GF diet (just yogurt and cheese) and it didn't seem to bother me. That was before I really committed to Heather's diet.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#322197 - 01/11/08 02:24 PM
Zara

Sarah, I also hope results come sooner for IBSers. I can't stick to a diet for a year if I don't see any results! I don't know but I think that after about 2wks there should be at least some improvements, such as less gas, less bloat, etc. As I said before, I'll just listen to my body and play it by ear.
I made some almond cookies today so that I'll have some comfort food, lol

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#322323 - 01/14/08 12:49 PM

Unregistered

Zara,
I hope the almond cookies digest nicely in you. I got real gassy after them, so all the best of luck. I'd love to hear updates from you re: yogurt. I bought the almond milk (soy milk) machine and I tried it last night and it made it with pieces-I could not drink it. I tried calling the company and got voicemail. I do hope I figure this thing out because I miss my almond milk.
The interesting thing that I'm struggling with now is that as soon as I went off acacia I got less gassy so I don't know at this point if my infrequent gassiness is as a result of no acacia powder or this diet. I guess I have to be patient and wait till time tells me more.
Also, my BMs are really weird these days. Not very often as in past by I once I go I cant seem to finish, even worse than in the past. No matter how long I sit there seems to be no end...and too soft, too soft. I started drinking (sipping) water all day again, today I had almost 4 cups already, hoping this might help.
You know, maybe it's the cake I'm eating, I eat about 1 7"pan of cake a day-snack it throughout the day." Maybe I'll try tomorrow not eating any cake. If this works I'll be sad cuz I love it and it really satisfies my sweet tooth, but I'll be happier having normal BMs. What a life we lead-trials, trials, trials....I feel like a Scientists..how about you?
How are you feeling today?
Sarah T

#322324 - 01/14/08 01:03 PM
Zara

Sarah,

to be honest, I'm not so sure about this diet anymore. I think I'll give it another day but I might throw in the towel. I've been feeling worse then ever. I only tried a bit of yogurt one day so I don't think that tiny bit of dairy affected it much. I've been very bloated and gassy and constipated. This was also before I tried those cookies (btw - very yummy). I'm in so much pain . I think my gut probably needs some carbs/SF as a "buffer" with my meals. I've been really careful, cooking and steaming my veggies and I only got worse. So, like I said, I'll see how it goes but I might start eating other carbs again tomorrow or the day after.
I really do hope it works out for you. I'd say try it without the cake for a day or two and see how you feel and how your BMs are. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#322328 - 01/14/08 01:43 PM

Unregistered

oooh poor thing. I'm so sorry you aren't doing well. I'm not doing too well this afternoon either, but I'm not in pain. I do hope you feel better soon. It's hard for us to compare notes because you're C and I'm D, unless your constipation is a new thing for you?
Hugs

#322329 - 01/14/08 02:24 PM
Zara

No it's not a new thing, I've always been a C. I think the SCD might generally work better for D because I think it's a symptom of the other diseases it's supposed to cure (Crohn's, celiacs, colitis). But I'm glad I tried it anyway.
I wonder what went wrong with your yogurt . Maybe they use different bacteria in the yogurt you used as a starter? Did you let it culture for 24 hours like the diet suggests or did you culture it according to manuf. directions? You're right, contact the company back and hopefully they should be able to help you figure that out.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#322340 - 01/14/08 04:04 PM
SherryJ

Reged: 12/22/07
Loc: Idaho

Thank you Sarah for posting this information. I was having an awful time with gas and after reading your post, I decided to stop the Acacia fiber and go back to Benefiber. No changes so I stopped taking the soluble fiber supplements altogether. Instant relief! It's been five days now and gas has been non-existent! After visiting the SCD sites, I've decided to go back to the low carb diet I had been on for a number of years for weight loss. Apparently my body just doesn't deal well with carbs. I will continue to practice a number of the things that I've learned on this site such as eating smaller amounts of food more often and not letting myself get too hungry. I'm also using the Hypnotherapy Program and my mental state is improving daily. Thank you again for bringing this other way of dealing with IBS to my attention.

#322352 - 01/14/08 06:46 PM
kim123

Just wondering Sarah and Zara...how long have each of you been on this diet? Are either of you feeling tired, achy, flu-like symptoms, or other new symptoms that appeared since beginning?

#322361 - 01/15/08 04:53 AM
Zara

I've been on this diet for 6 days properly, 8 days with slight cheating. No headaches, nausea, flu-like, or dizziness. Just GI symptoms. Bloating and really painful pressure, plus constipation has gotten worse. I really think I'm quitting today as I am so bloated I feel like I'm about to burst open. I'll have some oatmeal for breakfast and hopefully will feel better soon.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#322364 - 01/15/08 06:45 AM
Jordy

Zara, sorry you aren't finding more improvement...but I give you so much respect for having tried it. I think you may be right about it helping D more than C. The conditions it was first developed for per the book "Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis, celiac disease, cystic fibrosis of the pancreas, and other forms of chronic diarrhea".

So, now we need a new plan of action...both of us.

--------------------

#322367 - 01/15/08 06:53 AM
Jordy

Please keep me updated on the VSL! So, gluten free didn't keep helping, but you still avoid wheat? Does that help you long term?

--------------------

#322372 - 01/15/08 08:13 AM

Unregistered

First, I'm feeling lousy today. Since yesterday. Almost back to panic days. D and can't finish. oy vei.
second, it's not the yogurt machine that isnt working. its the almond machine. I did call the company and they told me that i used the wrong program. I cooked them instead of grinding them. I made milk yesterday and aside for a bit grainy its delicious. I think I'k going to try using and cheese cloth to try to catch the grains in the cloth making a smoother milk.
I hope you feel better soon.

#322373 - 01/15/08 08:16 AM

Unregistered

Sherry,
You're so welcome, although I'm having my doubts about it. I'm so sick today. I've been Gassy for the last few evenings and now I'm back to D and simply can't finish. I feel like I need to park myself in the bathroom, period! I'm not giving up yet, but im kinda down in the dumps about it. Lots of luck to you and may the IBS devil disintegrate now!!

#322374 - 01/15/08 08:20 AM

Unregistered

Kim,
None of the symptoms you mention except slight tiredness early afternoon. But as I told the others, not doing too well as far as IBS symptoms. I'll keep at it for a while though. I want to make sure this is not the solution for me.

Re:VSL new
      #322391 - 01/15/08 10:31 AM
Zara

I've been taking the VSL for little over a week now and so far no visible improvement. I think I need to give it more time.
As far as what - yes, I'm trying to limit it fo now. Not completely avoid it, like today I had 1/4 of a bagel. But it worked before, as long as I didn't overdo it. I think sugar is a bigger culprit, though. Unfortunately I managed to eat several Hershey's Nuggets today already. I'll try not to make it a habit .
I agree, we need a plan - I just wish I knew what it was, lol!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#322419 - 01/15/08 05:48 PM
kim123

You really need to give the diet a fair 2 weeks. It took that olong for me to feel better.

#322425 - 01/15/08 07:44 PM
Zara

Kim, but did you initially feel worse? I mean, like a lot worse? That's what happened to me, I didn't even stay the same, I had a lot more cramps and bloating then before. That's why I decided to quit.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: SarahT and Zara new
      #322449 - 01/16/08 08:54 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I've been looking at the SCD diet for a while, and slowly incorporating some ideas of it into my diet. I haven't gone full-out on it yet, but plan to once I'm more used to the foods. I guess I'm not really looking to follow the SCD plan exactly, but looking at going grain-free and the SCD seems like a good guide.

I plan on getting a yogurt maker and was wondering what your experiences with making yogurt have been. Have you tried cow's or goat's milk yogurt? If so did it cause any stomach upset? Also have you tried making almond milk yogurt? How did any of the yogurts you made taste?

I'm especially interested in the yogurt right now since I stopped buying store-bought soy yogurts (too much crap in em) and wanted to know how the home made ones taste and how easy they are on the digestive system. I need a good new portable snack.

Thanks!

--------------------
Kat

Re: Q about sugar and yogurt new
      #322450 - 01/16/08 08:56 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Oops should have checked this..
Does this mean neither of you have tried making yogurt, either dairy or nut based?

--------------------
Kat

Re: Q about sugar and yogurt - K2 new
      #322456 - 01/16/08 09:39 AM
Zara

K2, I made regular cow milk yogurt and it came out great! Even my husband who eats yogurt a lot liked it (with blueberries added to sweeten it). I actually tried eating a little bit and it tasted good. I didn't feel any worse after eating it, but that might be because I was feeling pretty bad and bloated to begin with, with or without yogurt. So I can't say if it affected me in any way. Once my gut settles I will probably try it again.
Here's how I made it - I microwaved 32oz of milk to simmering temperature and let it cool down to 110 F. It's important to heat the milk because otherwise it may not ferment properly. Then I took 1/4 cup of store-bought, full-fat yogurt (I used low-fat milk) because this kind doesn't have pectin which might hinder yogurt production. I mixed it with a little bit of milk and added it to the rest and put it a plastic container with a lid. Then I filled a hot water bottle with hot water. I took a thick blanket, wrapped around the bottle and then sat the container on top and wrapped around one more time. Waited 24 hours and then without stirring I put the container in the fridge to settle. Then it's OK to stir. That way the yogurt was fairly thick and had a really good flavor.
I've never tried this with non-dairy milk but I think it should work. I would just make sure that particular type of milk has enough sugar (or add a little) so that the bacteria can feed on it.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: SarahT and Zara new
      #322485 - 01/16/08 01:38 PM

Unregistered

K2,
Hi. I'm so sorry I have no info on the home made yogurt. But I was told it's not supposed to do our stomachs any harm, in fact it's supposed to help the stomach. I also know that my mom used to make homemade yogurt with a machine when we were young and she really liked it. Good luck with this purchase, my feeling is that if you like yogurt you will really like this machine.
I am slowly getting convinced that I should read Dr Sarno's book mindbody prescription-I'm picking it up today after work. I was sooo sick yesterday and knowing that I had a meeting this morning in desperation I started talking to my stomach-telling it I don't need it's help with all the stressful things going on in my life-like for instance my son's friend just borrowed our car (it's my car, but he uses it) and bashed it up & other stuff.... and at today's meeting which usually pushes me over the edge...I had a good experience with no incidents. I admit, I had 2 immodiums last night, but in the past having immodiums in the evening did not help me for the next day.
So I'm on chicken soup and baked apple and banana today. I'm trying to help my stomach with kind foods but also asking it to mind it's own business.
Maybe we have to start thinking in this way, realizing that we have a weak spot-our stomach-and when we are experiencing stressful things or even not, just plain every day stuff, our stomach jumps right in to save us, gets us all involved with pain, discomfort, the runs, we start trying different diets, thinking about bathrooms, etc.. taking our minds and emotions off from whatever it is it has to deal with. Frankly, it's of no help and is ruining my life. Don't you agree?
I actually called Dr. Sarno & he returned my call. He asked me to first read his book and then, if I think I can be open to his method, will he see me.
If you are interested in my progress with the book I will keep you posted.
Have a great evening guys. (It's after 4 here-NY time)
Sarah T.

#322486 - 01/16/08 01:43 PM

Unregistered

Kim

I'm trying to stay the line. I'm so glad to hear it took you 2 weeks to feel better. That means there's still hope. Were you D or C? Did you do any work like Dr. Sarno's method or did you just strictly follow the SCDiet?

Re: To Zara Re: SCD...felt worse! new
      #322499 - 01/16/08 04:47 PM
kim123

Yup, I felt terrible about 3 days into the diet I was following. It lasted about 3-4 days. Had achiness, stomach pains like crazy!, extremely tired, and bad D. I realized from doing my research that I was having a fungal die-off, often known as Herxheimer's response. That was a key indicator to me that my problems were fungal related. And, when I felt so much better changing my diet, another clue. The diet I followed is similar to SCD, was actually an antifungal diet/program where I took natural antifungals at the same time. I was a D, not a C. I realized during the first 2 weeks that my symptoms must have had a fungal etiology because once I quit sugar/grains/yeast(on which fungi thrive and need to survive), I felt waaaaaay better after 2 weeks. I still need to watch what I eat. I am now on a modified diet reducing sugar and grains, and absolutely no yeast if I can help it. Causes too much gas, some D, and pain. I still take my natural antifungals for maintenence. That's why I say, give it longer than a few days. Good luck!

Re: SarahT new
      #322546 - 01/17/08 08:58 AM
Jordy

Quote:

I was sooo sick yesterday and knowing that I had a meeting this morning in desperation I started talking to my stomach-telling it I don't need it's help with all the stressful things going on in my life-like for instance my son's friend just borrowed our car (it's my car, but he uses it) and bashed it up & other stuff.... and at today's meeting which usually pushes me over the edge.

Sarah, so sorry. Hope things settle down soon. The book sounds like something I should check out too...as I have found no pattern to food and IBS.

--------------------

#322630 - 01/18/08 11:46 AM

Unregistered

I started reading the book mindbody prescription and I plan to finish over the weekend. I really am buying into his theory-it makes so much sense and I think we could beat this thing! I pray! Lots of luck & get the book!

Re: To Zara Re: SCD...felt worse! new
      #322631 - 01/18/08 11:47 AM

Unregistered

Kim, thank you. That's great that you figured out what you have! I'm pretty sure Dr. Sarno's method will work for me. I'm giving it plenty of time and I'm committed to seeing it through till the end. Have a wonderful weekend.

#322750 - 01/20/08 07:21 AM

Unregistered

Jordy,
I urge you to read Dr. Sarno's book. Since I started reading it, past Thursday, my skin has not itched. It's hard work though. You have to totally accept his theory. It makes so much sense to me and I immediately started doing the excercises he instructs in his book. Normally a few days before my period my skin goes crazy. I'm a few days before my period and my skin isn't acting up. I find it amazing, and if I wouldn't be experiencing this myself I wouldn't believe it. My stomach seems to be settling down, but I can't really know for sure, cuz enough time has not passed, but I sure have high hopes. Good luck to you and may we all experience healing beyong our greatest hopes and dreams!!
hugs,
Sarah T.

#322753 - 01/20/08 07:53 AM
Jordy

I just requested this book from the library. If I like it, maybe I'll have to invest in it. It is wonderful that you are finding relief outside of your IBS. I just hope it does something for the IBS too!
Thanks again for sharing this with us.

--------------------

Sarah new
      #322754 - 01/20/08 07:59 AM
Jordy

Are you still doing SCD? IS it making any difference for you yet?

--------------------

Re: Sarah new
      #322779 - 01/20/08 11:04 AM

Unregistered

Jordy,
I'm pretty much convinced my IBS is Psycogenic as Dr. Sarno calls it and really not connected to what I eat. I'm doing his work all of my waking hours and I'm hoping to go back to normal eating as soon as I feel enough confidence in having mastered his program. Because I already see progress with my skin in such a short period, I'm very hopeful that I will be able to mainstream myself sooner than I think. I'm feeling really hopeful and looking forward to living again real soon. I'd love to hear your thoughts after you read the book.
cheers!

#322780 - 01/20/08 11:15 AM
SherryJ

Reged: 12/22/07
Loc: Idaho

Sarah, I just finished Dr. Sarno's book and it makes absolute sense to me. I know I have a lot of anger buried inside and I do believe it can affect your life. Now I have the tools to deal with it! I am also using the hypnotherapy sessions and really think dealing with the mind may be the answer. Take care and good luck...

#322805 - 01/20/08 04:03 PM

Unregistered

Sherry,
I'm so happy to hear that you too are willing to give his theory a shot. I, too, have lots of anger in me. I've been writing and working at it. It's hard work. I know we will master it! Lots of luck to you too and thanks for your encouraging words!

Did you ladies buy the book? new
      #322812 - 01/20/08 06:20 PM
Jordy

Does it require writing excerises in the book itself?

--------------------

Re: Did you ladies buy the book? new
      #322833 - 01/21/08 08:16 AM

Unregistered

I bought the book and it doesn't require writing exercises in the book. You use your own notebook. Dr. Sarno gives instructions on talking exercises/teaching your conscious mind how to communicate with your unconscious mind. You will be doing a lot of this. I just got up from my desk to meditate in the coat room because my skin is starting up and my stomach is thinking it could get the better of me this morning too!
The writing exercises I believe is a suggestion from one of his patients (I could be wrong about this, could be Dr. Sarno suggests it too) who successfully got rid of his debilitating back pain.
wishing you loads of strength, perseverance and success!
hugs
ST

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 627 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35038

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review