All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Do many take immodium when they go on trips to be safe?
      #321567 - 01/03/08 07:55 AM
Jennifer67

Reged: 07/06/07
Loc: Maine

Hi there...

I have been relatively stable for 5 months...then last Sunday a huge flare up. I believe it is because I ate a large piece of white chocolate. That said, my stomach as been off all week. Not the terrible episode like Sunday, but not where I feel safe (if you know what I mean).

We are going to inlaws this weekend...and I would rather not have a blow out there. I am thinking about taking an immodium on Friday, one on Saturday...then we come back Sunday. I don't need much to stop me up...last Sunday I took one, and 1/2 monday...and didn't go until Wednesday.

Do many here take immodium to ward off attacks esp. when traveling?

Thanks so much!

--------------------
IBS-D, stay at home mom of a beautiful daughter...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Do many take immodium when they go on trips to be safe? new
      #321580 - 01/03/08 09:13 AM

Unregistered

Jennifer,
I always have immodium & GasX with me when I travel. I'm careful with immodium because it can back me up. But sometimes just having it with me helps cuz I know I have something in case....And I have taken it as a prevention too. Good luck.

#321582 - 01/03/08 09:40 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yes, I've used Imodium as a preventive. Usually, if I get up early and my stomach is extra gurgly or I have that pre-D bloat. I'll take 1/2 dose and that's usually enough and doesn't cause constipation. I'll take more if necessary (still cramping or too many bm's).

HTH!

#321589 - 01/03/08 11:40 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Just made a 2 1/2 hour plane trip on the 1st. Started out with bloating so I took one imodium. It calmed down my tummy until after I made it home (about 4 hours). I can take imodium without any danger of C though. Never been constipated a day in my life. I wouldn't know what it feels like. Interestingly, my trip to visit family went great. I stuck close to my diet and everyone was very accommodating. I learned that on my father's side of the family about 2/3 have IBS. Both of my surviving brothers have IBS and have had it for years. They aren't too careful with the diet but they know what they can and cannot eat. My Dad had trouble and both of his sisters also have IBS-D!!! Must be a genetic link of some kind.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#321595 - 01/03/08 01:26 PM
Jennifer67

Reged: 07/06/07
Loc: Maine

That is so interesting...My mom has it too...Sister is more C. I bet it is genetic. Thanks so much for your help. I just want to have a good time and not worry about my belly. I know you understand.

--------------------
IBS-D, stay at home mom of a beautiful daughter...

yes ... that's a normal thing for me to do. - nt - new
      #321600 - 01/03/08 02:48 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#321616 - 01/03/08 05:27 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Personally, I wouldn't... I would take a peppermint capsule and drink peppermint tea instead - I just think they're much safer, and they seem to be working quite well for me. But I'll let you know after my 6 hour flight to Chicago this Sunday

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#321623 - 01/03/08 09:32 PM
Gbridelady

Reged: 05/30/07
Loc: Indiana

Jennifer,
Since I'm C, I have learned from past experience NOT to take Immodium for whatever the reason. But I think Immodium is meant more to help the D-ers, if that's a word or abbrev.! The last time I got a bad case of diarrhea from eating a piece of chocolate, I took 2 tablets of Immodium and didn't go for almost a week. I was miserable. It doesn't take much to back me up and I was stupid for taking that much Immodium. I never learn anything unless it's the hard way! Good luck to you and have fun on your trip!

--------------------
Gloria
IBS-C, lactose intolerant

#321624 - 01/03/08 10:22 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

I always take Immodium before and during trips. Works like a charm. I'm all D though, so danger of C. I think it works for most D-ers.

#321986 - 01/08/08 07:09 PM
Crue2001

Reged: 08/30/07
Loc: DE

I've always taken Immodium with me on just about every trip, no matter how short. If I get nervous, all the worse for my D, so I keep it handy. Over the years and trying different things with my diet have helped to control the D somewhat, but I still struggle daily, so the Immodium is sometimes the only thing that helps to get thru the day so that I can work, go to the store, etc. My doctor said there is no harm in long term use and my previous doctor even said I could take it daily if needed (I thought he was insane of course).

--------------------
IBS-D

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4135 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2261

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review