All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sorry tmi but HOT GAS?
      #321438 - 01/01/08 12:14 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Happy New Year everyone. I have a question about the "kind" of gas that most of you get. Of course we have posted about the particularly foul smelling gas, but what about "hot" gas? Every so often, I get this and these are the foul ones also. I know...gross. Sometimes if my bottom is sore from a little hemmoroids, it actually hurts to pass the gas. Anyone experience this? And after a particular food?

I had been trying to eliminate some wheat and fructose in the forms of mostly bagels, ww bread, and fruit. I hadn't had gas like this for quite a few weeks even when I ate regular (italian) bread and a few berries here and there. In fact, I have been off the diet a bit this month due to the holidays, yet despite some extra fat sweets (cookies/chocolate cake products but not candy), I have been fortunate to stay stable. So yesterday I wanted to get back on track (you know...New Year's resolution to lose weight and all ) and I ate oatmeal for breakfast (never a problem), then had a bagel with Smart Balance Light and strawberries for lunch. An hour or so later, bam...the awful, foul, hot gas that I mentioned. So I'm wondering if it was the quantity of strawberries? As far as fructose goes, I thought that strawberries were lower on the list of fruits with high levels. Could I just have eaten too many? (I had about 5-6 large ones). OR is there some other ingredient in bagels that could trigger the gas that is not in bread and wheat products? It seems that I recall a few times in the long past when I had gas after eating bagels (but then I used to think it was the cream cheese...pre-Heather).

Syl and any other scientific experts, does the warmness of the gas indicate anything? And what about the bagels? (I often notice a difference too depending on where I buy them. This was from Dunkin Donuts). Thanks!! and sorry if TMI

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sorry tmi but HOT GAS? new
      #321439 - 01/01/08 12:58 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Dunkin Donuts bagels have HFCS in them. It might be contributing to your problem.

The warmness of the gas is not an indicator of anything I have read about

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#321442 - 01/01/08 01:46 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Very interesting about DD bagels. Someone bought them in for breakfast at work last week. So I had one with my Earth balance butter. Here I had such gas and a spasm and I couldnt figure out why?? It had to be the bagel.

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

one more thing... new
      #321548 - 01/02/08 06:52 PM
line415

I noticed that I get the gas more from pretzels too. That would be in any form...soft, sticks, etc...various brands. I wonder why that is. It is so hard to determine what is going on. I am okay with italian bread/rolls but seemingly not the bagels and pretzels. I am going to order some gluten free bagels (UGH...haven't done yet because $$$$$) I think and see how that goes. Then if I eat some fruit along with those, I'll know it's the fruit. With fructose sensitivity, can it just be large quantities that cause gas? For example, I have had regular syrup with HFCS in it many times and not had a problem. I've also eaten LOTS of regular applesauce with HFCS and been okay. Would it make sense then that eating a bunch of strawberries with the bagel meant there was too much HFCS in the berries and the bagel combined? I never know what to suspect.

--------------------

Re: one more thing... new
      #321555 - 01/03/08 04:22 AM
Syl

Many pretzels are made with HFCS. However, if you are certain that can eat applesauce and syrup with HFCS in it with no problems then you are not likely very sensitive to fructose. If this is the case then niether the bagels and certainly not the strawberries will should have any effect on your IBS. There is no HFCS in the strawberries. They may have a little bit of excess fructose but they definitely don't contain high fructose corn syrup.

Now I am confused as to why you think you may have a problem with excess fructose if you can eat applesauce and foods with HFCS

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#321557 - 01/03/08 05:27 AM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi,

I couldn't help jumping in, because this is my main symptom right now. It seems no matter what I eat, I have stinky, hot gas throughout the day. Even the fennel tea is not helping. I, too, have cut out wheat and have really cut down on my sugar intake but it doesn't seem to be helping. I wish I could offer you solutions or advice, but at least you are not alone!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#321559 - 01/03/08 06:04 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Amazing about the pretzels.. So that must have been mine. For the life of me I couldnt figure it out why I will still getting gas over the weekend. My hubby started eating some pretzels sticks with deli mustard for a snack while we watched a movie. So it looked so good I thought I would be okay. Pretzels are wheat and not whole wheat. So I thought they were safe. Amazing that night and the next day the gas came back. I thought it was because I increased my Acacia. But I decreased back to normal dosage and then New years I had the same snack since every other snack was UNSAFE. Same issues.. New years day and yesterday I was so gassy and majorly bloated. So thanks for my wake up call

As far as apple sauce, I get one from whole foods with HFCS. Its a kids brand in cups. I love the mixed berry version I use it on a turkey sandwich on a pita at work. Its more pricey than Motts ect but much more creamy. I personally love the texture. Its a kids version..

For everyone else I hope you feel better soon

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#321593 - 01/03/08 12:30 PM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. Sometimes the gas seems especially toxic and really irritates my bottom--it feels caustic. I have a tendency to get hemorrhoids, too--and that kind of gas always makes me think I've got some hems coming on. Usually it goes away over night. I think the gut is producing strong methane or some other noxious by-product of fermentation and it irritates the mucus membranes.

my 2 cents

Calli

#321627 - 01/04/08 05:30 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

If I get bread product with HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) I have the same reaction!! My big Christmas present was a bread maker so I can have bread that I know is safe.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#321628 - 01/04/08 06:12 AM
Syl

Great! I have been making my own bread with a breadmaker for a number of years. And I keep a sourdough starter in the fridge that has been going for about 4 years that I use twice a week. Enjoy!

--------------------

#321769 - 01/06/08 03:37 PM
line415

Yeah Syl, now you see why I am confused! When I first started Heather's diet, I avoided HFCS in major quantities like in syrup, ketchup, and applesauce. I still eat the HFCS-free kinds, but sometimes they are not available so I will eat the regular. I had a turkey burger awhile ago at the diner with HFCS ketchup and I didn't have the gas afterwards. There has to be something in the bagels and the pretzels that reacts with me...it's weird b/c my husband bought one at a different place yesterday and I was okay after I ate it????? I am so confused. Would excess fructose from the strawberries cause it ? I'm going to give them a whirl again and eat them with another sf base like italian bread and see what happens. So you say that fructose sensitivity would cause a reaction even if you have just some HFCS? I hate trying to figure this out! I keep flip-flopping between gluten and fructose as culprits (ie., I get gas from oranges, haven't touched orange juice in over a year, gas from grapes..even a few). I ordered gluten free bagels recently just in case (a fortune ) but I love bagels so if they taste good it will be worth it. Thanks. And thanks to everyone else who responded. Sorry to hear that some of you have the same miserable symptoms.

--------------------

Bagels and pretzels new
      #321770 - 01/06/08 03:40 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I have a copy of the book "Gastrointestinal Health" and it lists both pretzels and bagels as possible gassy foods. Maybe they are for you.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Bagels and pretzels new
      #321829 - 01/07/08 12:47 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Ooh really? Interesting. That makes a lot of sense. I always seem to get really gassy after either. Tend to avoid them.

Re: Bagels and pretzels new
      #322222 - 01/12/08 09:09 AM
line415

Thanks. I am realizing that the type of bagel I have and the place that I get it from make a huge difference. There is one place near my house that I completely avoid b/c I had HORRIBLE gas after eating there once! I ordered some gluten-free ones online and I'm still awaiting their delivery... I'm beginning to wonder if I got scammed...I can't recall the site at the moment, but the email confirmation doesn't give me much info as to when they will arrive, etc...

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 997 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4766

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review