Not me -nt- new
      #321367 - 12/31/07 06:33 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: coffee? new
      #321370 - 12/31/07 07:29 AM
jenUK

Reged: 12/01/07
Loc: warwickshire, uk

oh hell no coffee is the worst thing on this planet - other than shortbread biscuits lol

--------------------
Ibs sufferer for 7 years !

#321371 - 12/31/07 08:13 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

I drink half a cup in the morning.....used to drink a couple of pots a day so a big improvement. I love coffee, but I'm not taking chances with drinking more.

#321373 - 12/31/07 09:08 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I'm not sure. I know I can tolerate it occasionally (black, maybe 1/2 cup) but I'm not really taking any chances. I got so used to not drinking it that I don't really miss it (unlike other things).

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#321374 - 12/31/07 09:09 AM

Unregistered

I can - I drink 2 cups every morning

Nope! new
      #321376 - 12/31/07 09:42 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Especially, being a D, it can trigger an attack within an hour for me.

Re: Nope! new
      #321393 - 12/31/07 03:17 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I have tried the simply smooth (I think it's Folgers) decaf and it didn't seem to bother me the first time, so I tried it again a second day and got a bellyache, coffee, probably, I can't get stable enough to try it again.

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#321395 - 12/31/07 03:26 PM
Sneaker

Reged: 12/31/07
Loc: Montreal

I'll be able to tolerate coffee when Hell freezes over....maybe.

(So, no :P)

#321401 - 12/31/07 05:05 PM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

I can handle decaf coffee once in a while, but ONLY once in a while. And it has to be weak with a lot of soy creamer in it. I usually stick w/decaf teas, Yogi Tea makes one called Stomach Ease, that I love! I also like jasmine tea, but it's hard to find it without green tea added to it.

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#321432 - 01/01/08 10:34 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

My tolerance for coffee seems to have deteriorated gradually over the years. I used to drink it daily with no problems. Then, maybe 3 years ago, I started noticing that I was getting more D than normal (even for me). It took me weeks (probably months) to figure out that it was my daily coffee giving me this almost daily bout of D. So I stopped drinking it, period, for a few months. Then I started having one about once a week. I was fine this way, it seemed I could handle it just once a week. It became my weekly treat. Then, a few months ago, it started giving me D again, maybe 1 time in 3. Then 1 in 2. Then I figured out that maybe I should stop drinking it for good.

Now, this is Tim Hortons coffee that I'm talking about. Starbucks coffee has ALWAYS been a major laxative for me. I could never tolerate it. Although for some reason I never had trouble with their frapps. Someone on the board once said that she could tolerate their soy lattes, so I know that one day I'll break down and have to try it.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#321911 - 01/08/08 07:59 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

it's strange.. i am on such a limited diet... i can't have any dairy.. i'm almost sure soy is also a problem for me.. no wheat... i'm trying hard to follow the fructose malabsorption diet... i seem to be ok with coffee with a little bit of sugar... thank god... cuz i need a little something to get me thru my day... a little normalacy is great!

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

#321926 - 01/08/08 09:16 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I thought you could have wheat since you said some test was the wrong one and that you are okay with it.

Enjoy your coffee....oh how I miss it.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#321936 - 01/08/08 10:03 AM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

It's a mixed thing for me. Great for C, but not so good for my gastric reflux problems. So, it depends what is flaring at the moment.

#322577 - 01/17/08 03:52 PM
sunshinegirl

Reged: 01/17/08

I LOVE coffee so I just had to figure this one out. I searched the web on coffee with ibs. I found an article that talked about how the level of acidity plays a part in GI irritation. So I wanted to test this theory. I found that I actually did fairly well with low acidity roasts such as espresso roast. I use store brand whole beans from my local Safeway and I grind them right before I brew. Also, I never ever drink coffee on an empty stomach, I always have some kind of white bread like an english muffin or bagel while I drink it. That seems to help me tolerate it a bit more.

--------------------
IBS-A (but mainly C)

#322595 - 01/17/08 07:02 PM
redsoxgirlforever

Reged: 06/22/05
Loc: Boston

Hi,

I can sometimes handle hot coffee, but only if I am feeling ok to begin with. If I wake up feeling icky..then I skip it and only drink fennel or peppermint tea.

In the summer I can drink dunkin donuts iced coffee almost every day at work - and I do it specifically for my digestion!!! I am an IBS-A and I find the iced coffee (and only the iced coffee) helps me when I am constipated. If I have D then I skip it for sure. I think what helps also is that the ice melts and thins out the coffee.

However, everyone is different...I know a lot of people here suffer greatly from coffee so if you are unsure, be careful trying to incorporate it into your diet.

Good luck! I love coffee and am so grateful I can handle it (most of the time).

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 713 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4262

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review