All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and work
      #321293 - 12/29/07 08:21 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Is shift work compatible with IBS? I have just finished nursing (and shift work) to start a regular 9-5 office job but i really miss nursing. I'm thinking of returning to it but am wondering whether the shift work will make me permanently constipated and bloated. Any ideas?

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and work new
      #321300 - 12/29/07 11:37 AM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

I think it probably depends on you - but I don't think I would do well with it. I feel like I need more consistency in my life.

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#321315 - 12/29/07 07:43 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

I think the only thing you can do is eat plenty of fiber. Shifts do mess up my BM routine.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#321344 - 12/30/07 02:41 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Well, when you worked shift, were you permanently bloated and constipated? I think you just have to do what makes you happiest. Do you have to decide right now? Maybe you could give it another few weeks to see if you can get this IBS under control with dietary changes, and if you do, get the shift work job. It's important to be happy

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#321499 - 01/02/08 09:59 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Oh, Sarah...I wish I knew. We are pretty much in the same predicament. I honestly don't know what to tell you. Are you going back to school for nursing? Or wanting to? I am so torn with this situation. Sometimes I tell myself, well, if I had MS or CP or something like that I couldn't do certain jobs....so maybe I need to take this attitude with my GI problems, which are real. It's hard to determine how much control to give the IBS, but what is realistic and best for my mind and body are important, too!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Were'd you go, Sarah? new
      #321772 - 01/06/08 03:48 PM
Jordy

How are thing going?

--------------------

Re: Were'd you go, Sarah? new
      #323856 - 02/03/08 12:19 PM
welshsarah

Hello! Sorry haven't been around for a while.

Working 9-5 definitely hasn't made my IBS any better. In fact, it's definitely worse than when i was doing shift work. Can't seem to get it under control. It's probably worse because i'm not happy in my new job and am finding it very difficult to stick to the EFI diet and my wheat/gluten free one. Depressing. Just can't muster up the will power and discipline to follow the diet because i've been feeling so down about my job.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#324092 - 02/05/08 06:30 PM
Jordy

What is your current job? Can you go back to your old position???? What do you want to do for a job? Are you still thinking about going to school for nursing or something?

Good luck. I hate my job too, and it greatly influences my IBS...for the worse. It is so important to not dread going to work everyday.

--------------------

#324154 - 02/06/08 09:36 AM
welshsarah

Jordy, these are all excellent questions! My current job is PA to Head of Nursing. I could go back to my old job but i think that would have just as bad an effect but for different reasons. I really have no idea what i want to do for a job, I think i'll probably end up floating along until i have children! I keep changing my mind all the time about nursing. There's no jobs that grab me and make me think that i would love to do them, y'know what i mean? Plus, i'm not sure i want to go back to being a student and having all that studying to do and no money. What job are you doing at the mo?

Essentially i think i'm not meant to work because whenever i'm off for a week my IBS is practically not existent as long as i'm watching my diet. Ah, if only...

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#324260 - 02/07/08 08:28 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Sly, I second that about work greatly influences IBS...for the worse. I hate the fact that I'm tied down to a desk all day and stuck somewhere for 9 hours! In fear that I'll have a br issues and a lot of times I do, because of stress and being there all day. Now I'm trying very hard to change that with fiber, Immodium and antisposmodics. I'm better when I'm at home. Good luck to you! It maybe fine for you!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4596 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2117

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review