All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Re: Probiotics----even if you tested negative for SIBO? new
      #321533 - 01/02/08 04:00 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Quote:

I don't know of anyone using probiotics for SIBO. This problem is usually tackled with antibiotics. I do probiotics are used for IBS, Crohn's and other GI problems.

The typical treatment of SIBO is antibiotics AND probiotics - I've read this in several medical journals (some of which are included in links I posted earlier in this same thread).

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: To Jordy Re: SIBO and IBS new
      #321536 - 01/02/08 04:22 PM
CJIBSDG

Quote:

Jordy,
I'm D, but I've been G for the past while, since D went away. It seems to me IBSers whether D or C, after on Heather's diet, end up with similar symptoms, such as G. I don't have bloating though, which seems to be prevalant with Cs. I'm pretty convinced the Acacia is causing my G. I just hope & pray I dont go back to D after eliminating Acacia completely.
yikes!!

I'm a D also - not the really watery kind that just squirts on out, but I would have 8 BM in 2 hours. After starting Heather's diet, I started gravitating toward C (I think it was the bananas b/c since I've omitted bananas I'm going regulary. I did have 4 BM today, but I've also been taking a probiotic for 3 days now so my guess is that is the cause - which I'm fine with, b/c I completely expected some changes the first week on probiotic (if I didn't see changes, I'd think it's not working). When I start going too much (like today), I drink a cup of Heather's peppermint tea and that really settles things down - Have you tried that? Both of the teas seem to be helping me alot. Sometimes the peppermint will give me some gas and bloating, but I just follow up with a cup of fennel and that takes care of it. So, depending on the day and how things are going, I flip flop back and forth between the 2 teas and it seems to be helping!

The probiotic I'm taking is Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus. It is recommended that you take 3 pills per day for the first month to get things under control then reduce to 1 pill per day. So, it's kind of spendy for the first month ($30 for 30 pills - $90 for the first month supply). But the way I see it is, I've already spent thousands and thousands on tests etc. so what's another $90... Like I said, I'm only on day 3 and I'm beginning to see noticeable differences.

I've not been tested for SIBO yet (that will happen on the 18th),but I'm certain that is what I've got b/c of the following cite from Practical Gastroenterology - July 2003 "One of the most common clinical manifestations of SIBO is chronic diarrhea secondary to fat maldigestion and malabsorption". I have had a 24 hour fecal fat test which came back abnormal - I have twice the normal amount of fat in my stools. Also, the small intestine is not supposed to produce very much gas at all - when I had my small bowel follow through, the doc pointed out gas all over the place in my small intestine. So, all signs are pointing to SIBO for me!

Jordy, I know you said you tested negative for SIBO, but it's not uncommon for the breath test to give a false negative - I would recommend that you and Sarah ask your docs to perform the 24 hour fecal fat test to see if you have a fat malabsorption (if you haven't already had this).

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#321543 - 01/02/08 04:55 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I presume you are referring to statements such as "The two most common treatments for SIBO among patients with IBS are oral antibiotics and probiotics". The assumption is an IBS sufferer also has SIBO. The antibiotics are for the SIBO and the probiotics I believe are targeted more to the IBS. I don't recall reading about anyone having conventional SIBO as a result of surgery or disease such as pancreatitis being treated with probiotics. Also generally speaking you don't want many bacteria in your small intestine anyway. However, I won't be surprized if someone somewhere is doing this kind of research

PS - I see your signature in this posting. I wonder how I missed in the previous one

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: To Jordy Re: SIBO and IBS new
      #321568 - 01/03/08 07:59 AM

Unregistered

CJ, thank you for this info. I will call my doc today (new one, left my old one)-not that I expect to get him on the phone or hear back from him very soon. I really detest doctors. But that's another story.
So is the remedy for fat malabsorption probiotics?
I, too, have been drinking Heather's peppermint & fennel teas daily although this past week I've been forgetting to drink them. I never considered the possibility that the peppermint would be causing my gas, but I'll pay close attention now. I mix them for the taste, but maybe I should drink them separately for a while, to test my reaction to each...mm...
I'm on day 1 1/2 of no Acacia. I'm waiting to see what happens re: gas and BMs all day. I'm just like you, never ending BMs.
again thanks so much.

Re: To Sarah Re: SIBO and IBS new
      #321613 - 01/03/08 04:50 PM
CJIBSDG

Quote:

CJ, thank you for this info. I will call my doc today (new one, left my old one)-not that I expect to get him on the phone or hear back from him very soon. I really detest doctors. But that's another story.
So is the remedy for fat malabsorption probiotics?
I, too, have been drinking Heather's peppermint & fennel teas daily although this past week I've been forgetting to drink them. I never considered the possibility that the peppermint would be causing my gas, but I'll pay close attention now. I mix them for the taste, but maybe I should drink them separately for a while, to test my reaction to each...mm...
I'm on day 1 1/2 of no Acacia. I'm waiting to see what happens re: gas and BMs all day. I'm just like you, never ending BMs.
again thanks so much.

I fired my doc also and will be seeing a new one in 2 weeks (I've interviewed his nurse and this one sounds much more promising). According to the research I've done, the typical treatment for SIBO is antibotics (in the case of D, they typically prescribe Xifaxan) and probiotics. The antibiotic is to kill the large bowel bacteria that has made it's way to the small bowel and the probiotic is to restore the good bacteria that the antibiotic kills off. Probiotics can also win over the bad bacteria and basically forcing it out. But, sometimes probiotics alone will take care of the problem and there is less concern of long-term problems with probiotics versus antibiotics. I'm trying probiotics for a couple of months to see if that helps out, then I'll go from there - right now I'm very hesitant to take antibiotics that may make things much worse... I'm currently on day 4 of the probiotic and doing Sooo much better - I did have 4 BM again today(but they were NOT the urgent kind I typically have), and 4 is much better than 8 and better than 0. I think this will taper off after I'm on it for awhile.

I'm also on day 1/2 with no acacia - I had very little flatulence today, so I'm pretty sure that was the cause. I wonder if acacia is designed more for people with C not D?

Here's one link to some useful information:

http://www.medicinenet.com/small_intestinal_bacterial_overgrowth/page6.htm

--------------------

#321614 - 01/03/08 05:00 PM
CJIBSDG

Sarah, here's another good site on SIBO (I would definitely check this one out):

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/healthconditionsdisease/a/overgrowth.htm

--------------------

#321615 - 01/03/08 05:19 PM
CJIBSDG

Quote:

I presume you are referring to statements such as "The two most common treatments for SIBO among patients with IBS are oral antibiotics and probiotics". The assumption is an IBS sufferer also has SIBO. The antibiotics are for the SIBO and the probiotics I believe are targeted more to the IBS. I don't recall reading about anyone having conventional SIBO as a result of surgery or disease such as pancreatitis being treated with probiotics. Also generally speaking you don't want many bacteria in your small intestine anyway. However, I won't be surprized if someone somewhere is doing this kind of research

PS - I see your signature in this posting. I wonder how I missed in the previous one

I think you're missing the big piture here Syl. Studies are showing that many people who have SIBO have been MISDIAGNOSED with IBS... Here is some info from http://altmedicine.about.com/od/healthconditionsdisease/a/overgrowth.htm

"Instead, people with chronic digestive problems such as gas, bloating, diarrhea, and/or constipation are often told they have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) when the underlying problem is actually small intestine bacterial overgrowth. Given that IBS is the number one gastrointestinal diagnosis, bacterial overgrowth could be greatly underdiagnosed".

And here are the symptoms of SIBO:

abdominal bloating and gas after meals
pain
constipation
chronic loose stools or diarrhea - studies have found 48% to 67% of people with chronic diarrhea had bacterial overgrowth.
soft, foul-smelling stools that stick to the bowl
fatigue - megaloblastic anemia due to vitamin B12 malabsorption
depression
nutritional deficiency despite taking supplements
weight loss
abdominal pain
mucus in stools
bloating worse with carbs, fiber, and sugar

--------------------

#321625 - 01/04/08 04:50 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

While a few studies and web-based news reports/articles make strong claims for the role of SIBO in IBS most recent research articles dispute the claim and the validity of the lactulose breath test as well. For example, the recently published articles listed below conclude:
Quote:

1. The data do not support an important role for SIBO according to commonly used clinical definitions, in IBS. However, mildly increased counts of small-bowel bacteria seem to be more common in IBS, and needs further investigation. Motility alterations could not reliably predict altered small-bowel bacterial flora.

2. Some propose that bacterial overgrowth is a common causative factor in the pathogenesis of symptoms in IBS; others point to evidence suggesting that the cause stems from more subtle qualitative changes in the colonic flora. Neither hypothesis has been confirmed, but the likelihood now seems remote that bacterial overgrowth will prove to be a major factor in what will eventually be defined as IBS.

3. In summary, we failed to detect a significant association between SIBO and IBS using either the LHBT (lactulost breath test) or the more specific 14C-D-xylose breath test. Our results suggest that studies employing the LHBT to diagnosis SIBO require further validation of the applied criteria. Additional studies are needed to clarify whether patients in different geographical locations have significant differing bacterial flora and whether these differences might be important in the expression of human illness.

If you want a list of research references from reputable journals that you can read I would be happy to provide them to you. Also, check back through the posting on this web site and see how many people have been tested for SIBO and either tested negative or had no/negative results with SIBO treatment. Anyway - eventually, the research will make things clearer

Good luck with your SIBO tests. Tells us how it goes.

Reference
Posserud, I., P. O. Stotzer, E. S. Bjornsson, H. Abrahamsson, and M. Simren, 2007: Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Gut, 56, 802-808

Quigley, E. M. M., 2007: Bacteria: A New Player in Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders--Infections, Bacterial Overgrowth, and Probiotics. Gastroenterology Clinics of North America Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders, 36, 735-748.

Walters, B. and S. J. Vanner, 2005: Detection of Bacterial Overgrowth in IBS Using the Lactulose H2 Breath Test: Comparison with 14C-d-Xylose and Healthy Controls. The American Journal of Gastroenterology, 100, 1566-1570.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#321633 - 01/04/08 08:33 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

So, you're not taking Acacia at all anymore?

Please keep us updated on the probiotic! I bought Udo's Choice, but not the same one as you.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

About the bananas new
      #321635 - 01/04/08 08:46 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

After starting Heather's diet, I started gravitating toward C (I think it was the bananas b/c since I've omitted bananas I'm going regulary.

What is it about bananas that cause C for some people, but not others?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1238 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 63718

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review