All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Re: SIBO and IBS new
      #321352 - 12/30/07 05:42 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Hmmmm - the links are working fine now. It might have been a hiccup on the network or something .

Oh - I understand your frustration. I have spent more then 35 years figuring out my management plan. Heather's diet gave me a valuable clue about using the ratio of IF to SF to manage some of my symptoms.

You may be right. Bacteria may play a significant role in IBS but perhaps not the bacteria associated with SIBO. SIBO is associated with bad bacteria in the small intestine. IBS may be concerned more the 300-400 species of good bacteria that live in the large bowel whose population may have been disturbed by something such as an infection.

There is lots of evidence to show that what you eat can change the bacterial flora in your colon (e.g. prebiotics and probiotics). For example, most IBS suffers report benefits from SFS but only some IBS-C suffers report benefits from IF. And some people report problems with some SFS while others report difficulties with different ones. The thing they all have in common is that SF and IF along with other carbohydrates like fructose and sugar alcohols (e.g. sorbitol) can pass mostly undigested to the colon where they act as food for colonic bacteria. These bacteria ferment the undigested food and produce by-products such as SCFA and gases that can change GI motility.

It is difficult to figure out how to modify your diet to manage your symptoms with the lack of good professional guidance. Heather's EFI guidelines are a great place to start. Hopefully, the next generation of GI docs will be better informed about the role of diet in managing IBS than the current one.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#321354 - 12/30/07 07:31 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Quote:

Hopefully, the next generation of GI docs will be better informed about the role of diet in managing IBS than the current one.

I agree, perhaps they could start by acknowledging it

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#321399 - 12/31/07 04:17 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Quote:

Quote:

Hopefully, the next generation of GI docs will be better informed about the role of diet in managing IBS than the current one.

I agree, perhaps they could start by acknowledging it

You nailed it Zara!!! I would love to go sit in my GIs office one day when I have really foul gas and just follow him around all day - I guarantee, he'd take me serious in under 1 hour!

Syl, I got the pdfs downloaded today - thanks for sharing... I'll have to ask my new GI doc to do the breath tests for fructose as well as SIBO - but in the meantime, I just got a probiotic to the tune of $90 for 30 days. Sure hope it does some good

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#321409 - 12/31/07 08:19 PM

Unregistered

CJ,
Hi. I've been reading this thread & oh I'm so frustrated and down...
My Doc never got back to me after my insurance decided they won't cover the camera pill test...
Am I understanding correctly that VSL#3 is a product I should consider if I'm suffering from gas like never before? My D and cramps are gone but I'm left with bad G and I'm losing all hope and don't know where to turn. I've been taking Heather's Soluble Fiber powder 2 Tblsp. daily and I'm off all wheat, dairy and sugar. Is the VSL#3 better than Heather's SF?
Any knowledge on this subject?
Thanks much.

Re: for Gigi new
      #321412 - 12/31/07 08:50 PM
gigi1234

Reged: 06/10/06

Hi! I have been taking one packet per day. I intend to give it two months at that dose and then re-evaluate. Then I might try cutting down to half a packet a day. It is kind of on the pricey side for me too but it also seems to help when nothing else has.

Best of luck to you.

Re: IBS-C Gas Bloating Probiotics Success Story new
      #321413 - 12/31/07 08:54 PM
gigi1234

Reged: 06/10/06

I am not sure. I am taking it day by day. I am trying not to get too hopeful because in the past I have tried things that worked for awhile and then would eventually stop working.

Probiotics new
      #321414 - 01/01/08 04:33 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Two probiotics have been shown to assist in the management of IBS Align and VSL#3.

A single dose of VSL#3 contains 450 billion cells composed of three strains of Bifidobacterium (B. longum, B. infantis and B. breve); four strains of Lactobacillus (L. acidophilus, L. casei, L. bulgaricus and L. plantarum); and one strain of Streptococcus (S. salivarius subspecies thermophilus). A clinical trial on 25 IBS-D suffers showed that it provided some relief for bloating. It had no effect on other individual symptoms such as abdominal pain, gas and urgency.

The single probiotic bacteria species - Bifidobacterium infantis 35624 - found in Align was given to 362 IBS-D and IBS-C primary care patients. It was found that at the level of 100 million cells there was significant relief from many of the symptoms including pain, discomfort and bowel habits. This particular bacteria has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects too. Align contains 1 billion of these cells.

I have been considering trying Align because it appears to be more effective.

References
Whorwell, P. J., et. al 2006: Efficacy of an Encapsulated Probiotic Bifidobacterium infantis 35624 in Women with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The American Journal of Gastroenterology, 101, 1581-1590.

Kim, H. J., wt. al., 2005: A randomized controlled trial of a probiotic combination VSL# 3 and placebo in irritable bowel syndrome with bloating. Neurogastroenterology & Motility, 17, 687-696.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: IBS-C Gas Bloating Probiotics Success Story new
      #321418 - 01/01/08 08:16 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Gigi,

Are you taking this with Heather Acacia? I have a sample in my fridge from months a go that a (one of many GI I went to this year) GI gave me. I never tried it because of the price of up keep but if it really helps well then I might consider using it.

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

Re: Probiotics new
      #321420 - 01/01/08 08:28 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

ooh, Align would definitely be the cheaper way to go....and the clinical trials also included C folks. Multiple symptom relief too. I don't know which, if any, to try now.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#321421 - 01/01/08 08:30 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Have you considered that the Acacia could be causing the gas? Is the gas worse than before you started the Acacia?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 701 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 63716

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review