All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Determining food triggers? new
      #321195 - 12/26/07 06:51 AM
SherryJ

Reged: 12/22/07
Loc: Idaho

I'm fairly new to this program of managing and controlling IBS although I've had to deal with it for more years than I care to think about. If you suffer from gas and diarrhea within an hour of eating, is it due to something you just ate or because of something you ate earlier working it's way through? I'm finding it difficult to identify what might be trigger foods for me. Thank you for any help in this matter!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Determining food triggers? new
      #321224 - 12/27/07 06:48 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I find that depending on the trigger and depending on my stress levels, my triggers can make me ill anywhere between an hour of eatting to within three hours.. Sometimes it's even 6-12 hours.. Those instances are much less commen but still happen every once in awhile..

#321228 - 12/27/07 07:13 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The effect of a consumed food may not be experienced until a few hours or even up to 48 hours after consumption. Also, the effects of some foods are cumulative. In other words, the effects may not be noticeable until you have eaten the trigger food a few days in a row.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#321229 - 12/27/07 09:51 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Some foods may cause an attack right away - for me that's Starbucks coffee. usually within 30-60 minutes I would be in the loo with terrible D. It's not because the coffee went through me that fast, but because the coffee irritated the gastrocolic reflex, and caused my colon to spasm. Other foods, as the others have said, can cause problems later.

Keep a food journal and record the time of all BMs, as well as the time of any and all symptoms. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

and new
      #321246 - 12/27/07 03:52 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

sometimes it is not food that triggers symptoms! Feeling yucky after eating does not mean that food bothered you.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Determining food triggers?
      #321248 - 12/27/07 04:19 PM
SherryJ

Reged: 12/22/07
Loc: Idaho

Thank you everyone. YOu've given me several things to consider!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2807 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1282

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review