All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Nausea associated with IBS?
      #321203 - 12/26/07 10:08 AM
SheriF

Reged: 12/26/07

Your website was referred to me and it has been very informative. I believe my mother has IBS but also depression, anxiety and fibromyalgia. The psychiatrist keeps changing her psych. meds because she complains of nausea. I am thinking this is more IBS related. I can't seem to get her to eat the IBS diet but am going to insist. The psychiatrist wants to hospitalize her because none of the meds seem to be working. They have cut back on her anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs. Could she be going through withdrawal or do you think the IBS is the culprit? Is there a lot of nausea associated with IBS? I have not found info indicating it is a major problem with IBS. Thanks for your prompt response.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Nausea associated with IBS? new
      #321207 - 12/26/07 11:58 AM
colettewoolf

Reged: 10/28/06

I've dealt with nausea a lot. I believe now it's more connected to my gall bladder issues, but everything is mixed up with IBS too. There are two medications that I've taken for nausea that are very good and feel quite benign. The first, which is easily obtained, is Dramamine, which can be purchased over the counter or in higher dosages under the generic name Meclazine. It's essentially for motion sickness, which is often related to nausea.

If that doesn't help another drug, which you can only get by prescription, is Prochlorperazine. This drug is also used sometimes for treating mental disorders, but I've used it quite successfully short-term for nausea -- it increases dopamine, a substance in the brain that if insufficient can make you queasy.

Other helpful things: Heather's Fennel Tea, with ginger syrup. Chammomile tea with ginger syrup. Some over-the-counter anti-nausea syrups (cola, simple sugar) which are very sweet -- the sugar helps for some reason.

Your mom could really get some relief, I hope, from these things.....

#321211 - 12/26/07 03:13 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

Has your mom been diagnosed with IBS? Sounds like the nausea could be anxiety related and possibly a side effect of the meds.....ive had nausea with ibs but when my stress level goes down, the nausea seems to go away....so i would think an anti anxiety med like klonopin at a low dosage might help without the antidepressant.......also, if she is coming off meds too quickly the withdrawal could be causing the nausea as well...its really trial and error.....its complex......have her hang in there...

#321227 - 12/27/07 07:13 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Ginger chews do the trick for my nausea. It's good for motion sickness, morning sickness, chemotherapy nausea, etc. Ginger chews have been a godsend for me.

www.gingerpeople.com

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6698 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1309

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review