All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Who has tried tofu?
      #321117 - 12/21/07 09:56 PM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

I was just wondering if any of you out there have tried tofu. I see a lot of tofurkey products or boca burgers. Does anyone know if these are any good? I am not a huge meat person, but I really do need the protein and am missing having a "normal" dinner of some protein along with a potato, cooked veggies and maybe some fruit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Who has tried tofu? new
      #321118 - 12/21/07 11:05 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

Are you a vegeterian? If not you can eat fish or white meat like turkey and chicken. I have tired tofu and I just don't like it. I don't mind other soy products though. To me tofu has no taste and I don't like the texture. Hopefully that helps.

Tatyana.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#321125 - 12/22/07 09:10 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

I love tofu, but at home I only use it for smoothies. I've never cooked with it, only eat it at restaurants. I have used tvp (textured vegetable protein), & things like that. There's a brand SmartGround, Smart Slices, etc, they make a really good substitute for steak strips. They also make hot dogs, burgers, etc. You might try that. HTH.

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#321135 - 12/23/07 04:02 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

You can use tofu for lots of things.You can marinate it (the longer the better) before cooking. It takes on the taste of what you are cooking with it. I've thrown it into the processer with garlic and other spices to make "ricotta" for lasanga. If you want a decent meat substitute try Seitan. I've barbucued it and it's not too bad. Doesn't taste exactly the same but has a more meaty texture. If you are gluten intolerant though, you can't eat seitan or TVP.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#321142 - 12/23/07 12:25 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I'm a tofu addict. I usually just pan fry it with homemade sauces and add it to rice. My favorite way to cook it is to cut it into small triangles, coat in cornstarch and pan fry on each side in about 2 Tbsp of canola oil. Then pour a glaze made from 1/4 organic vegetable broth (or chicken broth), 2 Tbsp. soy sauce and 2 Tbsp. sugar over the tofu and continue to saute until the glaze reduces to a sticky consistency. Put it over some white rice and it's a great, quick meal!

I have tried some of the "meatless" tofu products and they all gave me D and gas. I think it must be some of the stuff they add to them to give flavor. But, if you can tolerate them, there are some pretty tasty ones out there. Just check ingredients for hidden triggers like milk.

#321150 - 12/23/07 05:50 PM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

Well, thanks for everyone's suggestions, but as I am wheat intolerant, it seems a lot of the tofu I have looked at contains wheat. So I guess I'll just stick to white turkey and chicken meat and fish. I don't know what I am eating tomorrow for Christmas Eve dinner. The rest of my family is having honey ham, and I don't know what to have. Why can't IBS sufferers have ham? It always used to taste so good to me. I am thinking about having a Jennie O turkey ham, but still am not sure about it. I just don't want to be sick throughout the Christmas holidays. Ugh...this is so tough sometimes.

#321163 - 12/24/07 02:58 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Ham can be okay as long as it is low fat. I still eat deli ham in my sandwichs and I seem to be okay with it. Also, if you are cooking a ham say for a holiday, it is best to go with a pre-cooked, formed loaf-style ham than the raw bone-in ham that has to be fully cooked, because they are usually LOADED with fat. Turkey ham would be good too!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 395 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2184

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review