All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
The holidays
      #321036 - 12/20/07 08:08 AM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

I'm not sure what I want to say here, except that I'm half dreading the holidays -- the plane flights, the strange food, the stress -- but I am wishing you all calm and strength in dealing with the next few weeks. I'm going to try very hard not to stress and I hope you all will too. Good luck everybody!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The holidays new
      #321040 - 12/20/07 08:28 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Thanks Passanie! And good luck to you too!

I am taking all of next week off work, so that helps. We are going to a friend's house for Christmas dinner - they're having a huge to-do with probably about 15-20 people so I know most of it won't be IBS-safe - but at least they only live about 20 minutes away. I am cooking a New Year's Day dinner at MY place for these same friends, and my goal is to make everything IBS-safe and so good that they won't even notice! LOL.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

just curious new
      #321055 - 12/20/07 12:18 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

just curious whats on the menu. Were go to dh sisters christmas eve and parents christmas don't want to bring the same things and get burn out(like i already am) just wondering what your fixing.....
emmasmom
ibs-c

Re: just curious new
      #321063 - 12/20/07 01:33 PM
Erilyn

Well, I know ham isn't technically on the safe list, but it generally is pretty low in fat when you buy the pre-cooked loaf-type, rather than the big bone-in kind (which has loads of fat). I will cook it in my slow cooker with a sweet-smokey glaze (I don't have the recipe handy but I will post it later if you're interested!)

I was going to make mashed potatoes with a mix of vegetable broth, soy milk, garlic and non-dairy low-fat margerine.

A stuffing and zuchinni casserole that is supposed to be made with cream of mushroom soup, but I will create my own substitute with soy milk, veg. broth, and flour to thicken instead (you can also use the Imagine brand Cream of Mushroom soup but I can't find it anywhere). Again, I can post the recipe if you like. I was also going to serve up some other type of veggie, like brocolli or carrots, maybe carrots because they are safer.

For dessert, I was thinking about whipping up some type of yule log, made with chocolate angel food cake and some type of IBS-friendly frosting (Cool Whip is mostly dairy free and I may end up using that since I seem to be able to tolerate small amounts of dairy).

Yes, I love to cook.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

Re: just curious new
      #321064 - 12/20/07 02:05 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I would love the cream of mushroom recipe. You could try turkey ham and I want to make a cholate cake but can't find a recipe with out or eggs applesauce& eggs don't always agree with me so I think i am going to use peaches...thanks
emmasmom
ibs-c

"Cream" of Mushroom Soup new
      #321084 - 12/20/07 08:55 PM
Erilyn

***Warning - I have not yet tried this recipe - and it is one that I've made up myself - but considering what I know about cooking, and from what I've read about regular cream soup recipes, I don't really see why this wouldn't work!

3/4 cup fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
1/2 cup soy milk or other "milk" of choice
2/3 cup of vegetable broth, divided (I find vegetable more flavourful than chicken broth, but you can use chicken broth if you like)
1/4 tsp dried basil
1 tbs dry white cooking wine (the alcohol will cook out)
cornstarch (this is the part I'll have to guess, but I'm guessing not much more than 1-2 tbs)

Spray a non-stick frying pan with cooking spray, and saute mushrooms until tender. Put aside. Combine the soy milk, 1/3 cup of broth, the basil, and the wine in a saucepan and heat until just beginning to simmer. Whisk cornstarch into the other 1/3 cup broth until smooth, and slowly whisk into the hot "cream" mixture. Continue cooking until it has thickened. Remove from heat, and stir in mushrooms. From my experience with cornstarch vs. flour gravies, the cornstarch should give it a nice gelatanous texture as it cools - and hopefully will be very similar to the canned condensed cream of mushroom soup!

This should equal about one can of soup.

Let me know if you try it!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 497 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1888

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review