All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How long is a few days
      #320914 - 12/18/07 04:10 AM
Ails

Reged: 12/11/07

Hi I'm a newbie here and to IBS-D; just diagnosed 2 weeks ago. I am in the middle of a bad spell; it's been 6 days and I'm feeling really low. I have been following heather's advice re eating only soluble fibre foods like rice, pasta, bread etc, but she says you're only supposed to do that for a few days and then your stomach should stabilize. How long is a few days and what is some good advice if it doesn't stabilise within a few days? I am exhaused and have no energy and have lost lots of weight in the last 3 months and feel that I am wasting away. I will be following heather's diet guide properly as soon as I stabilise, but until then am feeling at a loss at what to eat to ensure I stabilise but also get enough calories and nutrients.

I have tried to search on this topic but didn't find anything so sorry if this is already a discussion thread- maybe someone could point me in the right direction. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How long is a few days new
      #320923 - 12/18/07 05:05 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

A few days is typically something like 2-3 days. I can't stand eating pure SF food for more than 2 days myself. Being IBS-D you should stabilize within that time I think.

Have you had all the tests to rules other things out? They typically do more tests on people with D especially when they lose a lot of weight like you have done.

/Ulrika

#320970 - 12/18/07 12:07 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

Personaly speaking, I think it depends on what your definition of *stablized* is...

For me I have two types of stable.. The kind where I'm good and follow the diet and have zero problems, and the other is when I'm doing really really good and can eat some triggers.. (I had pizza on the weekend with zero problems.. yay..)

Back in Sept I went through an extremely stressful time. I was getting very ill, very easy (I'm also an IBS D) I stuck with the diet and after about.. a week I was good with foods on the diet.. Although, it took me a couple months to be able to eat the ocasional chocolate chip cookie or a chicken burgur with one slice of cheese on it and not get violently ill..

Stick with it, it will get better.. I find that after awhile I get borred with the diet but here is what I eat to liven up my safe foods..

The main staples are Chicken, Rice, Bread right?
There are different types of chicken you can enjoy, I eat regular roasted chicken, deli style sliced chicken, or breaded chicken breasts.. I also have a sweet and sour sauce when I want more flavour or a safe mayo type product.

For the rice, I make up some gravey (all you need is a can of campbells chicken broth and something to thicken it up.) and have hot chicken or turkey sandwiches. Or I use some soy sauce to liven up my rice or when I'm feeling extra brave, chicken flavoured rice-a-roni.

As for bread, rice with soy sauce on toast is quite good, it's also good dipped in a safe maranara sauce.. (again toasted though.. makes it taste much better)

Also for energy, eggs are quite good.. Egg beaters are better because they have fortified vitimins and as for calcium.. Chocolate Almond Milk is Amazing.. (Almond breeze is what's it's called)

If you want potasium there is a nice banana bread recipe on the recipe boards and the apple sauce muffins are good too..(not sure if there are vitamins in the muffins though, but a little bit of safe sweet is always comforting) And lots of peppermint tea..

Trying to eat only by the diet doesn't mean cutting out anything and everything.. there are ways to make things taste yummy and no so bland..

#320986 - 12/18/07 03:37 PM
Alli32

Reged: 03/24/05

Ails - Until things settle down, diet alone may not be enough. Immodium is my best friend! If it doesn't constipate you too much, you can take a "preventative" immodium every day. That should help "stabalize" you faster and help you to be able to eat more than just "what to eat when you can't eat anything." Becoming truly stable is a lifelong process. Even being able to eat more than just SF can take awhile depending on your body. I found that taking the immodium calms things down, lets my body rest, and relieves anxiety about having an attack. Using the immodium (or any medication that works for you) along with Heather's diet has been a lifesaver for me.

Hang in there! It can be a long process, but it is so worth it to have your life back.

HTH.

Allison

#320997 - 12/18/07 07:35 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Hey Ails,

I'm new to this whole thing to and everyone has been really helpful. I also am IBS-D and I have been losing weight so they just tested me for Celiac Sprue disease. Maybe they will do that for you too. As for stabilizing, I'm not quite there yet either. But for the most part white rice and grilled chicken seem ok for me. And taking Fibercon seems to help. Good luck, it seems like its going to be a hard long road, but I am sure its going to get better!

Stefanie

#321000 - 12/18/07 08:58 PM
Ails

Reged: 12/11/07

Thank you to everyone who has replied. It means a lot to me that you have taken the trouble to reply. I will mention other tests to my doc as I have lost between 15-20 pounds in the last 4 months. It's just good to 'talk' to people who are going through the same thing.
Ails

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 153 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3776

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review