All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Low wheat, low sugar diet - test
      #320825 - 12/16/07 11:37 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I've been following low wheat, low sugar diet strictly for about 1 week now. I limit the amount of fruit I eat and don't add sugar, eat sweets, etc. The only "sin" is a small serving of chocolate every day (about 15g) and 1 homemade linzer cookie (they've been a staple in my family and it wouldn't be Christmas without them ). I've been really good about only eating 1 a day. However, last night I guess my brain went on a short vacation and I ate about 10 of them (yes, they were very yummy ). I was doing pretty well before, my bloating was significantly smaller. Upon waking up I could even see my abdominal muscles (big deal since I haven't seen them in a while). Well, this morning I woke up and the bloating was back! So I definitely think it must have something to do with all that wheat/sugar (there was nothing else in the cookies that trigger a reaction for me).
So while I was mad at myself for having eaten them in the first place I also consider this a little test. I will definitely continue with the no wheat (OK, maybe just one cookie, I promise ), no added sugar.
Just wanted to share with everyone.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Low wheat, low sugar diet - test new
      #320827 - 12/16/07 12:49 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I hope it continues! How many/what type of fruit are you eating per day? I never think of fruit as a sugar food.

The one cookie is the only wheat you eat? Are you eating other gluten products?

Let us know how your experiment continues. You did pick a very tempting time of year to do this! But, you can do it!!!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#320836 - 12/16/07 02:34 PM
Zara

I only avoid wheat but not gluten. So I still use soy sauce, have a small glass of beer (alcohol in small amounts doesn't bother me), etc.
As I said, I've only been doing this strictly for a week so I'm sure temptation will arrive later, lol! I probably eat 1-2 servings of fruit per day. I eat frozen raspberries with my oatmeal in the morning and then have a pear/apple/tangerine in the afternoon. I love bananas so once my digestions settles I will try to add those, too. Also, I snack on sweet potatoes (I have to credit K2 for this idea). I bake a few at a time and then keep them in the fridge.
I will definitely post more as the time goes by .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#320861 - 12/17/07 09:41 AM
Zara

So last night everything was pretty much normal, I was bloated from all those cookies and then at 6 I got a major D. Which, by the way, NEVER happens - I get bloating, cramps, pain, C but never D. I had to go 5x between 6 and 7pm. Maybe my body got so used to low sugar that it was trying to get rid of it? I don't know. Today everything went pretty much back to normal, no bloating.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#320863 - 12/17/07 09:53 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

I'm quite similar to you Zara dietwise. I don't eat wheat and am fine with a glass of wine in the evenings. I also find that i can handle a cup of coffee with normal milk. All this (alcohol and coffee) i've been doing for the last week and my body seems to be handling it really well. In fact, this last week i've been paying more attention to the SF/IF balance and (as a result, i think!) i've had the best BMs ever! And hardly any bloating. I've also been limiting my sugar intake. I'll see how it goes though because what i hate about IBS is that my body sometimes suddenly decides to stop handling certain foods and i fear that may happen with the coffee or wine. Anyway, we shall see...

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#320868 - 12/17/07 10:35 AM
Zara

Coffee? Yummy.... I haven't had coffee in a year and a half and I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try it again just yet. But perhaps the time will come
I've been drinking small amounts of beer but I'm pretty sure I'll have some wine when I go to my relatives' for the holidays (going for four days) since they're wine lovers. So I'll see how I handle that
BTW congrats on doing so well! It's so exciting, I stare at my stomach in disbelief every day . The bloating is so much better (of course, my non-IBS, stomach-concaved sister probably has a different idea of "no bloating" but for me it's a huge improvement ).

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

No wheat but still gluten??? new
      #320869 - 12/17/07 11:32 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Can you explain further how you still eat gluten but not wheat products? I'm talking about breads/pasta, etc... I have been experiementing with this also and I definitely feel better with the gluten free stuff but it's not really that tasty. Do you eat pasta or bread and what kind? Thanks.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: No wheat but still gluten??? new
      #320882 - 12/17/07 01:29 PM
Zara

Sure. What I meant was that I avoid wheat as an ingredient. I avoid wheat pasta, breads, crackers, etc (well, as I admitted before I do have one cookie a day ). Once I'm stable for a while I will try to determine if there is a safe level of wheat to eat.
However, I don't watch out for gluten since I don't have celiac disease. Gluten can be contained in a lot of things, such as certain brands of soy sauce, vinegar, salsa, beer, etc. Oats can also be contaminated with gluten. But I really believe that it's only wheat that bothers me and not gluten (which is the wheat protein) so that's why I don't try to avoid it. I avoid commercially prepared products as much as I can so I don't care if I get some gluten in my glass of beer.

What I do eat right now is quinoa, rice, potatoes (white and sweet), buckwheat, rice cakes, oats, rice noodles. Sometimes I make brown rice pasta (it's pretty close to the real thing). Other people here eat soba noodles but I haven't tried them yet. Maybe later I will also add some gluten free bread but right now I don't feel the need to. When I first experimented with gluten/wheat free diet I used to make breads using none-wheat flours or I used Bob's Red Mill mix which I actually liked a lot.
Hopefully you can find something that tastes good to you !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Thank you. That's kind of what I've been trying. n/t new
      #320909 - 12/17/07 07:32 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#320928 - 12/18/07 06:58 AM
Jordy

There is always oats, rye, barley, spelt (I think). I used to eat tons of puffins cereal Puffins which is wheat free but not gluten free. Wheat free leaves much more freedom, I believe. I see lots of products that say wheat free (like Fig Neuman's cookies cookies )

As Zara mentioned, it is the sauces and additives that you usually don't have to worry about if you are doing wheat free but not gluten free.

--------------------

#320930 - 12/18/07 07:01 AM
Jordy

Quote:

Maybe later I will also add some gluten free bread but right now I don't feel the need to

So, what kind of bread do you eat, Zara? None?

--------------------

#320937 - 12/18/07 08:37 AM
Zara

Correct, I haven't had any bread in the past 2 wks. So I'll make some GF bread when I start missing it but right now I'm OK just eating all the other carbs I listed above. Or, who knows, maybe I'll learn that I can tolerate an occasional slice of wheat bread later on? Who knows
I really like rice cakes so I use them to make open-face sandwiches. I even bring them to work, I just put my spread (I use Trader Joe's spread made with eggplant and red peppers), chicken breast, and vegetables into a container and when it's time to eat I just put them on the cakes at my desk. It only takes another minute .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#320942 - 12/18/07 09:25 AM
welshsarah

That's such a good idea! I think i might try that one! So far i've just been having peanut butter on the rice cakes and am getting a bit bored of it. Plus, i'm struggling for lunch ideas in work as i don't want the hassle of having to cook something up the night before.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#320950 - 12/18/07 09:49 AM
Jordy

What brand rice cakes do you buy? The brown rice ones are the only ones I can find.

Also, what kind of veggies do you typically use? And you use homemade chicken, not deli chicken, right?

That sauce from TJs sounds really good...but I'm still too afraid to try peppers.

--------------------

#320956 - 12/18/07 10:07 AM
Zara

I usually buy whatever cakes the store happens to have (either Quakers or generic), as long as they're only salted with no other flavorings. So I guess I do eat brown rice ones too. They don't seem to bother me, I think it might be that by the time the rice is puffed up and processed the IF gets really mixed in with the SF. But that's just my guess.

For veggies I use tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados - stuff that's really easy to slice up and put on the rice cakes. I never eat too many in one sitting anyway, it's mainly for extra flavor.

You're right about the chicken, I broil regular chicken breasts and once it's cooled down I slice it up and keep it in the fridge. Sometimes when I open the fridge, looking for a snack, I just grab a few slices. I think it tastes so much better than the deli kind! I either don't season it at all or use salt and pepper before broiling.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Update new
      #321020 - 12/19/07 03:33 PM
Zara

OK, so I cheated - it's the holiday season and the temptation was huge. I had "gasp" cheese. For about 3 days in a row. The first two days it was a bit of cottage cheese and the third day was smoked Gouda. Bloating is back. So I don't know, is it the cheese or is it something unrelated? I stopped having cheese and we'll see how I feel in the next few days. So dairy is definitely out for now but I will try and give it another shot once I stabilize again to confirm it.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Update new
      #321072 - 12/20/07 04:01 PM
welshsarah

I had cheese tonight for the first time in ages so i'll let you know what impact that has in the next few days... IBS is so difficult to read and interpret isn't it!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#321074 - 12/20/07 05:06 PM
Zara

Yes it is! I wish each time I get sick my body would just print out a receipt that would say "one stick of cheese=one big bloat" . It would make it so much easier!
I'm still bloated today, I hope it get better tomorrow as we're leaving for the holidays...
But yes, please let me know if the cheese impacts you in any way!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#321079 - 12/20/07 06:24 PM
Jordy

You ladies are brave! Your willingness to try new things is really inspiring to me.

Zara, maybe it wasn't the dairy at all, if the bloat is still there. How long has it been since you ate the cheese? Maybe you just had it too many times or maybe it's a specific kind and the first one(s) are okay? Don't let this stop you from continuing to experiment!

--------------------

#321095 - 12/21/07 09:15 AM
welshsarah

I made a bit of a silly move yesterday and today. Last night i thought i'd experiment with cheese so i had some as some friends were over to celebrate the holidays. However, today i then went to town and had some chocolate biscuits and cheese sandwich. I now have stomach cramps and bloating, which is fine. But, i can't tell if it's the dairy or the wheat or both! I got a bit carried away because it's the christmas season! So, my plan is to not eat wheat and dairy over Christmas (because i don't want to risk being sick) and then i'm going to try eating wheat for a few days and see what happens and if that's fine then i know that dairy is the problem and not wheat. However, if it is a problem i'll avoid wheat and dairy until my system recovers and then i'll try avoiding dairy and see what that brings. If that causes a reaction then i think i can safely say that it is both wheat and dairy that i'm intolerant to.

I know that some may think me foolish for trying to experiment but i'm still not willing to accept that i have to avoid so many foods. I just think that following the EFI diet would be so much easier if i could add wheat or dairy into my diet and then stick with the rest. Anyway, we'll see!

Sorry for the long post!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#321097 - 12/21/07 09:35 AM
welshsarah

However, part of me thinks i should just stop messing around with my diet and just avoid wheat and dairy and follow the EFI because i know it definitely works... Does anyone who is doing EFI and avoiding wheat find it so difficult to follow too?

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Good luck! new
      #321098 - 12/21/07 10:07 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Good luck Sarah, I hope you can figure out what works for you! I'm still trying to just get stable - I feel like I'm getting closer but am not there yet. I just cut out so many foods at once that I don't know if I can actually tolerate any of them or not. I am still eating wheat so for all I know that might even be a problem for me... I know I can't eat a lot of stuff like wheat bran, but that could just be the IF... I wish there was a "one size fits all" solution.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Re: Good luck! new
      #321103 - 12/21/07 12:29 PM
welshsarah

Thanks Erilyn! I wish the same, it's all so baffling! I cut too many things out at once too which is why i want to experiment a bit. But i think the fear factor may be too powerful and prevent me from experimenting. We'll see...

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

To Jordy and Sarah new
      #321108 - 12/21/07 01:37 PM
Zara

"Zara, maybe it wasn't the dairy at all, if the bloat is still there. How long has it been since you ate the cheese? Maybe you just had it too many times or maybe it's a specific kind and the first one(s) are okay? Don't let this stop you from continuing to experiment!"

Yeah, maybe. That's why I will try again once I'm stabilized. I do feel much better today (so far). The bloat lasted for two days after I stopped eating that cheese. That's pretty normal for me, it usually takes me 2-4 days to get a trigger out of my system.

Sarah , at least this way you can be pretty sure that at least one of them (wheat or dairy) is a problem! My plan for Christmas is the same - no wheat, no dairy, very low sugar (gosh, what will I eat? ). Hopefully I'll more or less stick to it. I packed a dark chocolate bar with me when temptation comes so I can have something sweet.

So after Christmas I think first I will test out these three groups - adding more fruit, wheat, and dairy. See what happens .

Also, one thing I noticed - I always had oatmeal for breakfast and I was still getting pretty bloated by the end of the day. So today I had cream of rice instead and feel comparatively better so far. I love oatmeal so I hope I can tolerate it and the bloat was not related to it

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: To Jordy and Sarah new
      #321120 - 12/22/07 05:57 AM
welshsarah

Good luck both over Christmas. Hope you have a good one and stay relatively stable. Merry Christmas!

Ooo, since having the wheat and dairy yesterday and thurs evening i was really bloated yesterday evening. But today, unexpectedly, i had a major BM that started as constipation then was normal and then was a bit D. Weird! Ah well

xxx

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: Update-how you ladies doing? new
      #321238 - 12/27/07 12:58 PM
Jordy

You still around?

--------------------

#321259 - 12/28/07 05:45 AM
Zara

I have to admit that I completely fell off the wagon during Christmas . I tried sticking to my diet but I did have cookies every day (like a lot, lol), and chocolate . But somehow I managed to stay away from a lot of fruit, I didn't eat dairy and ate low fat and pretty much stuck to the EFI diet. I was surprisingly not too sick. Now I'm trying to get back on track.
So I don't know what's really going on. Maybe wheat is not the real problem for me, maybe it's fructose? But I tested negative for it...so confused

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#321266 - 12/28/07 11:20 AM
welshsarah

Oh my word, totally fell of the bandwagon over Christmas! Consumed far too much chocolate and a little cheese and a little wheat. Needless to say i am very bloated and constipated. Not in any pain though...

Not sure what to do now. I think i may try the EFI diet again along with no wheat and low sugar. To be honest, i feel incredibly disillusioned and depressed by the thought of having to do such a strict diet. But may be it's necessary if i ever want to have a BM again! Ugh.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#321345 - 12/30/07 02:47 PM
Zara

Quote:

Not sure what to do now. I think i may try the EFI diet again along with no wheat and low sugar. To be honest, i feel incredibly disillusioned and depressed by the thought of having to do such a strict diet. But may be it's necessary if i ever want to have a BM again! Ugh.

You must be my twin, lol! I feel that way so often! I'm usually ok during my regular days, when I don't go to gatherings, etc. However, every holiday, family visit or even an evening out totally throws me off! THere was so much good, dairy-filled food over the holidays! I didn't eat any but it was so hard! So being this restrictive I just couldn't stay away from wheat and sugar as well. It's just too much at once!
I'm also trying to start again, plus I think I will start taking a new probiotic, and see how that goes.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#321380 - 12/31/07 01:11 PM
Jordy

Hey ladies! Sounds like you didn't do so bad. Give yourself a break!

Since you had more than one potential suspect food, I doubt that all of them could be a problem. Guess we just have to test one thing at a time to be sure!

I forget, are either of you taking any supplements? Fiber?

--------------------

Zara new
      #321382 - 12/31/07 01:14 PM
Jordy

You gonna try the VSL?

--------------------

Re: Zara new
      #321385 - 12/31/07 01:45 PM
Zara

Yup. I just ordered it last night so hopefully it should be here withing a few days. Other than that I only take a multimineral supplement (iron-free). I do take a SFS on occasion but to be honest I never found any of them to be very effective. No SFS has every prevented me from getting sick nor has it kept me regular. If I'm about to get constipated I will. It's always diet only.
I'm also back to watching my sugar intake and low wheat.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#321483 - 01/02/08 08:23 AM
Jordy

Quote:

I never found any of them to be very effective. No SFS has every prevented me from getting sick nor has it kept me regular. If I'm about to get constipated I will.

Me too.

Have you ever tried digestive enzymes? I wonder if I am just throwing money down the toilet! (sure not flushing BMs away)!

Please let me know how the VSL works for you, K? I hope it helps you!!!

--------------------

#321490 - 01/02/08 08:51 AM
Zara

Thanks, and I'll definitely let you know. I'll probably start next week, depending on when my order gets here.
I've never tried digestive enzymes but I've been thinking about it. Actually, I tried Beano but without any great success. Then again, I wasn't as strict about taking it as I should have been. But you're probably talking about the protease/amylase/lipase combo so no, never tried but probably will. I don't think they can hurt.

Also, I'm trying to eat wheat in moderate amounts and watch sugars for now. The combo of avoiding both worked before but I felt like my diet was too restrictive. Who knows, perhaps I only need to exclude one. I have yet to see results since I'm still getting back on track after Christmas. Last night I stupidly ate a couple handfuls raisins so so much for low sugar, lol. I'm trying to be good today so hopefully by tomorrow night I'll be feeling better. I'm not really in pain, just bloating.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

To Zara Re: Low wheat, low sugar diet - test new
      #321494 - 01/02/08 09:26 AM

Unregistered

Zara,
Just a little baking tip from my Grandma (may her soul rest in peace)She would cut the sweet potato in 1/2 lengthwise and wrap each piece or u can wrap the whole potato cut in half though in foil. It becomes tangy tasting, like candy. I bake a few or a bunch potatoes this way beginning of week and I eat em for snack all the time.
I too am experimenting K2's diet. I've been off wheat & sugar & of course dairy. Gas did not go away so I'm starting to slowly eliminate Acacia as I believe this is the culprit.
Hope you have a good day.
Sarah T

Re: To Zara Re: Low wheat, low sugar diet - test new
      #321496 - 01/02/08 09:49 AM
Jordy

Thanks for the tip (even though I'm not Zara)!
I'm pretty sure Kat doesn't eat any gluten at all, not just wheat free. Are you both doing just the wheat free?

--------------------

#321504 - 01/02/08 10:43 AM

Unregistered

Jordy,
You're welcome
I'm doing wheat, sugar and dairy and all of Heather's "trigger" foods free. I am not careful about gluten, but I dont have oats and all of the other wheats K2 listed. I do eat barley though. I also really only eat home cooked meals. I started eating Lays potato chips-baked, but I'm going to stop eating this too as I'm not sure what caused my flare up yesterday, the tomato sauce or the chips. I'm pretty certain it was the tomato sauce but I dont want to take any chances. My flare ups include horrible itchy pimples all over my upper arms and butt and it's hell on earth. So I really don't cheat.
ta ta for now...

#321511 - 01/02/08 12:10 PM
Zara

Sarah, thanks for the tip. I love how they get so yummy and sweet!
Oh, and those baked potato chips are a no-no for me! I would eat regular ones before the baked ones. They just make me really sick for some reason, must be the additives . I got the plain version and still ended up in pain.

Jordy, I'm actually trying to eat a little bit of wheat right now, watch my sugar intake a see what happens.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

PS new
      #321515 - 01/02/08 12:33 PM
Jordy

What temp and how long do you bake the potatoes for?

--------------------

#321517 - 01/02/08 01:17 PM

Unregistered

Re the chips. I think my problem is that once I start eating them I cant stop and I can finish off 3/4 bag at a time. I never get to eat treats so when I thought the chips would be safe I went at it with a vengeance. Big mistake. Maybe if I could limit myself to a handful a day...But I'll wait for this trial. I want to feel GOOD already...
today on no acacia, water, banana, ricecake w/almond butter, tuna & cucumbers & white rice for lunch-started feeling gassy after the tuna & rice. was ok all morning. maybe I ate too much....

Baked Chips new
      #321519 - 01/02/08 01:31 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I just came across Kettles Lightly Salted Bakes. The are made from "Select Russet potatoes, expeller pressed high monounsaturated safflower and/or sunflower oil, salt." They are 10% fat by weight and contain 2 grams of dietary fiber per serving.

I find them quite tasty. BUT they can be addicting

Careful of the flavoured Bakes - they contain dairy and other strange additives.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: To Sarah new
      #321520 - 01/02/08 01:32 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

was the tuna with any mayo?? because that could have been it or the cucumbers would have done it for me.

I hope you feel better.

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

Re: Baked Chips new
      #321521 - 01/02/08 01:34 PM
auntdebs318

what do you guys baked them on? and how long? I made them for new years and they came out to soggy. I baked them at 400 for 30 minutes

--------------------

#321523 - 01/02/08 01:44 PM
Zara

Debs, the chips we're talking about are the regular, store-bought baked Lays. I've never tried baking my own chips at home but I don't think they would come out good (like you said, they'd probably be soggy).

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#321565 - 01/03/08 07:46 AM

Unregistered

Zara, My son's future mother-in-law told me about her delicious home baked chips and I think she said she slices potato real thin sprays pam oil on 'em with some salt and bakes them. I will be speaking to her any day now and Ill ask her for exact instructions. I'm not sure that potatoes is the best thing for me , Im suspecting they give me gas, but I do want to try these chips. I'll keep you posted. I absolutely love potatoes.

Re: Baked Chips attn:Sarah new
      #321569 - 01/03/08 08:16 AM
auntdebs318

Yes, please keep us posted as I would like to make them. Last night I put thin sweet potatoes on my george forman grill. I am going to have them for lunch with my turkey burger. I will let you know how they turned out.

--------------------

#321571 - 01/03/08 08:29 AM
Zara

Thank you, I will look forward to that recipe! If we could have homemade potato chips that would be awesome!

Debs, are the grilled sweet potato chips crispy? That's a really good idea, I'll have to try that!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Baked Chips attn:Sarah new
      #321578 - 01/03/08 08:58 AM

Unregistered

she's on a plane right now. I'll give her some time to land and settle back home & Ill quiz her on her potato thins.
hearty appetite.

update on sweet potatoes new
      #321588 - 01/03/08 11:16 AM
auntdebs318

I have to say they were really yummy!! But I had to microwave them for 2 minutes here at work first. They werent cooked enough. So I think what I will do next time is mic them first and throw them on the GF grill.They were still crispy and alittle grilled on the outside. Or just cut them smaller or thinner so they cook better on the GF grill.

--------------------

Re: NEW update on sweet potatoes new
      #321608 - 01/03/08 04:37 PM
auntdebs318

Okay guys I made them for dinner. I cut them long ways and baked them on foil on a baking pan with pam canola oil and sea salt for 40 minutes. Boy were them yummy.. alot better then GF

Next time I am going to sprinkle cinnamin too

--------------------

#321634 - 01/04/08 08:40 AM
Jordy

Wait, are you saying that you just cut the potato in half, long wise, put it on a baking sheet with foil and then baked the two halve? What temperature? I'm confused on how to make the chips with the grill vs what you are making here.

How long did you put the chips on the grill for? Did you cut them into round pieces? Sorry, I'm challenged when it comes to cooking.

--------------------

#321638 - 01/04/08 09:20 AM
auntdebs318

okays heres the details

clean the sweet potato's really well. Turn over to 375 to preheat. Cut potato long ways in half (cut of stems) and then in long wedges like fries. Put foil over a long baking sheet. This way you dont have clean afterwards put all your fries on baking sheet and spray with pam or lil canola oil and season with salt or cinnamin and sugar. ( i might try this next batch) bake for 40 min at 375 or to your liking. Everyone oven is different.

But make sure to keep tossing them in the oven so they cook well. Thats it really easy..

--------------------

#321691 - 01/05/08 05:32 AM
Zara

I tried making them again but I must be doing something wrong. Parts of them are crispy but other parts are really soggy. The slices are thin and even so I don't know . It must have something to do with the temperature.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#321692 - 01/05/08 05:40 AM
Syl

I have not had much success making homemade baked chips. You might have better results if put the chips on an open wire rack and use a convection oven which circulates the hot air around the chips on the wire rack on all sides. And you probably have to use a very hot oven. I was really happy to find the Kettle low fat, low salt baked chips. Now I can have chips anytime I want

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#321693 - 01/05/08 06:02 AM
auntdebs318

I saw actually a recipe in the IBS index and it shows microvawing. So maybe we should try that.

--------------------

#321713 - 01/05/08 09:21 AM
Zara

Syl, if you're talking about the Lays ones then I have to agree that they're really good - maybe too god .

Debs, I'll have to check out that recipe. I wonder if microwaving would still make them crispy? I will definitely experiment some more .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Not Lays - Kettle Low Fat Low Salt Baked Chips new
      #321717 - 01/05/08 10:03 AM
Syl

No - not Lay's. I find them too bland and salty. I am talking about Kettle low fat low salt chips. The link to information these chips is on this web page

--------------------

Re: Not Lays - Kettle Low Fat Low Salt Baked Chips new
      #321720 - 01/05/08 10:36 AM
Zara

Thanks, Syl. I'll have to look for those. Lay's makes kettle cooked chips so that's where I got confused .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#321721 - 01/05/08 11:13 AM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi,

I couldn't help butting my nose in this thread. I, too, love potato chips -- weird cause I'm not a fan of french fries -- anyway, I digress. I recently found these really low fat really tasty potato chips at my local Whole Foods. They are made by a company called Sierra Naturals. The ingredients are: potato pieces, potato flakes, potato flour, whole grain rice flour, corn flour, canola oil, and salt. I was a little hesitant because of the whole grain rice flour, but I haven't had any issues with them so I think they're safe! They only have 2% calories from fat They have a website: http://www.sierranaturals.com/product_info.html. The website also shows two types of veggie chips that sound really yummy also, especially the one based on sweet potatoes. I haven't seen either of those in my Whole Foods, but I'm going to keep my eye out. Anyway, I don't know if any of y'all have Whole Foods near you and if they carry, but I figured I'd let you know about them and maybe you could find them too . Have a great day!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#321729 - 01/05/08 01:52 PM
Zara

Thanks, Julie! I don't have a Whole Foods nearby but I do have a pretty good HFS so I'll check there!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Baked Chips Victory! new
      #321733 - 01/05/08 02:49 PM
Zara

I tried the microwaved chips and they turned out awesome! They're really crispy and yummy. And, if you like Terra chips, you can make those too! I'm making potato, carrot, and parsnip chips and they're all really tasty. I'm so excided

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#321763 - 01/06/08 02:36 PM
auntdebs318

Zara,

I am so glad they turned out. I love terra chips but there too good and very pricey. Tell me what you did and how long you microwaved them.

thanks

--------------------

Re: Baked Chips Victory! new
      #321771 - 01/06/08 03:46 PM
Jordy

Is this the recipe you used? web page

--------------------

#321792 - 01/07/08 05:19 AM
Zara

I followed the recipe for these chips. I sliced the potatoes and vegetables very thin, I think that's very important. Then I towel-dried them. I put a sheet of parchment paper on a plate for one dose and used Pam for the other dose. Each turned out good but make sure to use enough Pam if not using parchment paper because they tend to stick to the plate otherwise. The potatoes have go be arranged in single layer. Then I sprinkled them with salt and pepper and microwaved on high for about 5.5 minutes. Each oven is different though so you really need to watch the fist few batches to see how long yours needs.
The potato and parsnips chips were really good but the carrots got a bit soggy after a while. I didn't experiment with other types of potatoes yet because I didn't have any. But these were so good and even my non-ibs husband loved them and asked for more . THey're so easy to make so go ahead and give it a shot !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#321797 - 01/07/08 06:04 AM
auntdebs318

Yeah we have success!! I will try them in the next few days!!

--------------------

Re: To Sarah new
      #321825 - 01/07/08 11:39 AM

Unregistered

no mayo here and if yes only the no fat by Hellman's. It could have been the tuna or the cuces at this point I dont' know. But I'm not eating tuna anymore...if you read my latest (before this one that is) post you will see that I'm trying something entirely new. Thanks for your good wishes.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 535 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 60289

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review